• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Forum Software Is Very Slow To Respond

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It may be time for Steve to consider either a more robust forum software or a different host.

I don't know where the problem lies but when it takes ten or more seconds for a request to be answered there is something wrong. It has been very noticeable in the last week.

I'm just suggesting that Steve might need to do some troubleshooting.

(Posting this message took 23 seconds.)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It may be time for Steve to consider either a more robust forum software or a different host.

I don't know where the problem lies but when it takes ten or more seconds for a request to be answered there is something wrong. It has been very noticeable in the last week.

I thought maybe it was my iPad. I guess not. :-) Z

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought maybe it was my iPad. I guess not. :) Z
I recently increased my internet speed and I am also experiencing delays in posting to this site. At times, it just seems to hang there and others it just zips on through. Does seem to be some inconsistency but that may be due to volume (only a guess because I don't know crap about computers)

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I recently increased my internet speed and I am also experiencing delays in posting to this site. At times, it just seems to hang there and others it just zips on through. Does seem to be some inconsistency but that may be due to volume (only a guess because I don't know crap about computers)
The usual culprit is an over loaded server on the site that hosts this web site. If perchance too many people show up and access the features for a time things just slow down. It can even happen on the internet over all. In other words no matter how fast your connections the packet switching system can just be over taxed. Notice that it comes and goes is the major symptom. The solution is "mo bandwidth" a fancy word that means more and bigger server computers. The true definition of band pass is the bite capacity of the operating systems. Say in the old Commodore 64 days of an 8 bit bandpass which means a computer could pass a binary code at the rate of 8 bits at a time which became know as a bite of code or binary. The increased bandpass became a multiple 16, 32, 64, 128 as computer systems advanced. I lost count at 128 and the term bandpass simply came to mean more speed. Note this is not to be confused with Clock speed of your processor nor the size of harddrive nor ram or rom memory. Some how, I don't think this helped much. LOL

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score

(Posting this message took 23 seconds.)
Never thought of the problem from that point of view. But I TOO have been noticing small problems with the site lately.

I have just updated the software on my iPad and thought that might be the problem. . . . . I like your thoughts better.

How about it Steve??

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Never thought of the problem from that point of view. But I TOO have been noticing small problems with the site lately.

I have just updated the software on my iPad and thought that might be the problem. . . . . I like your thoughts better.

How about it Steve??
When you updated your iPad did you lose 1/3 of your screen space to bookmarks? I can'g get rid of the panel that displays what used to be on my second home page and it is driving me nuts. I need a full screen to be able to read this stuff. :( Z

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reports. We are already aware of this issue, and the server admins have been trying to take steps to mitigate the slowdowns, however unfortunately this will likely persist for a few more days before it clears up.

There is no direct issue with the host, server hardware, or software. What is happening is that this forum shares a dedicated server with a much larger forum which is currently being migrated from another forum software, vBulletin, to the same software as this server, XenForo, which is actually more resource efficient. As the other forum is so large, millions of existing posts, it is just taking several days to migrate all the data over while keeping everything online and running however this process also places a lot of extra strain on the sever so it does unfortunately slow down at times.

Please be patient as this software upgrade progresses as in just a few days everything will be back to normal. :)

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When you updated your iPad did you lose 1/3 of your screen space to bookmarks? I can'g get rid of the panel that displays what used to be on my second home page and it is driving me nuts. I need a full screen to be able to read this stuff. :( Z
Yes, Z. I get big, size of a quarter, book marks of where I have been across the top of my iPad.

Not sure what prompts them to appear up there, because they are not always there, but when they are it's a reall pain in the b_tt.

If I figure it out, I'll let you know.

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, Z. I get big, size of a quarter, book marks of where I have been across the top of my iPad.

Not sure what prompts them to appear up there, because they are not always there, but when they are it's a reall pain in the b_tt.

If I figure it out, kI'll let you know.
Mine went down the entire left side and was 1/3 of the screen (I use my iPad with the home button on the right side). I spent 35 minutes with Apple support and we finally figured it out but it was a tough one. The fellow I talked to said they had all been trained on ISO-8 on the iPhone so there was some difficulty because of that. :-) Z

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mine went down the entire left side and was 1/3 of the screen (I use my iPad with the home button on the right side). I spent 35 minutes with Apple support and we finally figured it out but it was a tough one. The fellow I talked to said they had all been trained on ISO-8 on the iPhone so there was some difficulty because of that. :) Z
And so, they told you how to get rid of the culprit?

My iPad is my total link to everything. Haven't used my computer in over a year. o_O

Top Bottom