• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Fracking Earthquakes Here.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I lived in Northern California we used to get them from the Geothermal plant. They would inject water into the earth and it would then heat up and turn into steam and drive a turbine. This caused an increase in earthquakes most are under 3 but in 2016 they had a magnitude 5.0.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is a big problem here in Texas and Oklahoma. In fact, Oklahoma has become one of the most active earthquake areas in the country. Look as this stat:

Magnitude 3+ Earthquakes
2016: 623
2015: 903
2014: 579
2013: 110
2012: 35
2011: 67
2010: 41

Source Oklahoma Geological Survey

In 2015, Oklahoma had more earthquakes than California. (http://www.ecowatch.com/its-officia...rthquakes-than-anywhere-else--1882119660.html)

Reaction score
I have seven fracked wells within a quarter mile from my home. That is fracked with a ED at the end. No problems here that we didn't have before the wells were dug two years ago. It isn't the fracking causing problems it is the injection wells. We have one of those too, but it is twenty years old and still being used, no problem.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Must have called out the attack groups. Fracking does not cause earth quakes . Nor does it cause your hair to turn gray or global warming. It does not pollute wells either. Just a political tool exploited by some. Quoting the EPA as a source of fact , That is a long shot.
Funny how the same post show up on a bunch of sights all around the same day.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Must have called out the attack groups. Fracking does not cause earth quakes . Nor does it cause your hair to turn gray or global warming. It does not pollute wells either. Just a political tool exploited by some. Quoting the EPA as a source of fact , That is a long shot.
Funny how the same post show up on a bunch of sights all around the same day.

So you're saying fracking isn't the cause of the increase in solar flares too? :eek:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There ARE quite a few more reported quakes that also correspond with the increase in fracking. Now, that could be coincidental and I haven't seen a direct correlation drawn. I read an article that attributed the increase in quakes to the decrease in friction between things caused by the fracking fluid. I wonder though, if the increase in 3.0 earthquakes is related to the ability to detect and the consolidation of reporting them.

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No matter what we do, you can't change what "Mother Earth" is going to do on her own.

Really? We can actually have quite an impact. Whether you believe in science or not, it's hard to ignore pollution in the air, water, and soil. Heck, when they got rid of the wolves in Yellowstone, it actually changed the course of rivers and affected multiple other species. We returned the wolves and thing went back to the way they had been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom