• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

From "boss Hoss" To "elio" ???

Bill

Reaction score
Here goes with my 1st posting as a new member... I think the "ELIO" may be what I am looking for. I began riding motorcycles at age 14, and a lot of years and miles later - my back (two major back operations), said 'stop'! Oh, I have served my time on two wheels and the last was a 549HP "Boss Hoss"... A great motorcycle, but ~ 1,500# dry, it finally took out my back. So, here I am looking at an "ELIO".

I know the publicity says 'automobile' but I see a registered (3-wheel), motorcycle with great back support - and just what I need to get back on the road again. The "ELIO" looks like the vehicle I need. I would bet that the current estimate of ~$6,800 would not hold up, but anything under $10,000 for the "ELIO" as currently envisioned would be great... - - BILL

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Here goes with my 1st posting as a new member... I think the "ELIO" may be what I am looking for. I began riding motorcycles at age 14, and a lot of years and miles later - my back (two major back operations), said 'stop'! Oh, I have served my time on two wheels and the last was a 549HP "Boss Hoss"... A great motorcycle, but ~ 1,500# dry, it finally took out my back. So, here I am looking at an "ELIO".

I know the publicity says 'automobile' but I see a registered (3-wheel), motorcycle with great back support - and just what I need to get back on the road again. The "ELIO" looks like the vehicle I need. I would bet that the current estimate of ~$6,800 would not hold up, but anything under $10,000 for the "ELIO" as currently envisioned would be great... - - BILL

Bill, Welcome to our fun Elio club. Good to see another fellow metro Atlantan. I am sorry to hear about your back and having to give up the motorbikes but glad Elio looks like it could be a nice comfortable fit for getting you back out there. I hope you have a great time on this forum reading about and discussing the Elio.

A lot of us are also unsure if they will ultimately be able to make the $6800 number however according to Elio Motors they are actually fairly close with their own estimates being within a few hundred dollars of that mark. My personal guess it that the number will be about $7500 or so. That still leaves us with plenty of room for some nice options and taxes while still keeping it under $10K.

If you ever have any issues with this forum please be sure to notify a staff member as we are here to help.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Hi Bill and welcome from southern Oregon. It sounds like Elio will be the perfect solution for your dilemma. Don't give up on the $6,800 price because people like me are counting on that being the basic price so we can actually own an Elio. Paul Elio seems to appreciate that and is doing everything in his power to make sure it happens. I know the price of the Elio is only the beginning but everyone has to register and license a vehicle and at least here in Oregon I don't have to pay tax. Enjoy the journey towards owning an Elio. This is a great group, there is a lot of interesting discussion going on and all of it is leading us to our Elios! :-) Z

redhedman50

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

Hey Bill,
Welcome. I feel your pain. I have a Victory Touring bike at 900lbs, and it's great but between cold, rain, and heat waves I only get to ride about half the time. This will be the closest thing to a bike and not have to worry about holding up nearly 1K or pushing it backwards (no reverse).

Bill

Reaction score
Hello folks, and thanks for the response to my entry message. I think the "Elio" would be great for a sizeable niche of the adult transportation market. VW tried a similar vehicle a few years back, but could not get legal approval to market the thing. For the few disadvantages of a vehicle like the currently conceived 'Elio" (motorcycle licensing, small size, possibly a minimal helmet), there are just as many endearing features it would offer (comfort, maneuverability, mileage, economy, etc...). -- For me it would be ideal and though I might use it as an 'automobile', it would put me back into an elite motorcycling group that I have missed. I started with a Cushman when I was 14, then moved on through most anything with two wheels. I still have a passion for Harley-Davidson (I worked my last two years of undergraduate college as a motorcycle policeman for the City of Birmingham). Finally, I ended up with Boss Hoss and went though two, in my search for larger engine capacity and more 'HP'. Then my back went out... :(

So, here I am waiting for successful market availability of an "Elio". {I will be lurking on the sidelines; and perhaps will one day soon see driver/rider models ready for customer sale and delivery.} Take care - - BILL

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi Bill welcome to the forum! Man the boss hoss must have been insane to ride lol! Think you might be disappointed in a dinky lil 3 cycle 60HP reverse trike after riding a beast like that! Personally I'd prefer good handling and less HP for a more complete driving experience and why I loved driving my MGB roadster.. Otherwise that car was an unreliable piece of crap lol..

Ray

Top Bottom