• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Front License Plate Required?

ABC123

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Does anyone know if we will be required to display a license plate on the front bumper? My concern is that if a regular passenger car plate is issued, it will cover about 2/3s of the air intake grill. Will this greatly reduce airflow into the engine compartment? Or will air easily move around it?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know if we will be required to display a license plate on the front bumper? My concern is that if a regular passenger car plate is issued, it will cover about 2/3s of the air intake grill. Will this greatly reduce airflow into the engine compartment? Or will air easily move around it?
not to worry it'll be reg like a motor cycle i.e. usually one little rear plate, Not living in NY for awhile That's what I had there.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember asking the same question. Cannot find the post or page. I sure hope DMV has pity on us.
Any size plate on back is no problem.
Any plate on front is an aerodynamic problem.
I will explain this to any CHP's if they have to ask.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Autocycles just require the one small plate on the back.... at least in the one state I checked...

https://iowadot.gov/mvd/motorcycle/autocycles

Hey! They use a picture of an Elio as an example of an autocycle! (a really old picture but still...)

for those who don't want to click the site above...

"An autocycle will be issued one small license plate that will be displayed on the rear of the vehicle, the same as a motorcycle."

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They are not required on any motorcycle in the state I currently live. What is the rule in your state?
I think the broader question is "Will an autocycle require one or two plates?" The Elio isn't considered a motorcycle in a lot of states... How about Massachusetts?

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom