• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Global Auto Makers Investing More Than 90 Billion For Electric Car Production...

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem with the 90 billion number is that the manufacturers will want to recoup that expenditure. I would speculate that a under $30,000 electric vehicle may not be made for many years by any of the major makers.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem with the 90 billion number is that the manufacturers will want to recoup that expenditure. I would speculate that a under $30,000 electric vehicle may not be made for many years by any of the major makers.
You got that right!!!

Most importantly, they're not in the business to make an economical yet decent vehicle to begin with. Not any more. They’re like buying a darn house!!

Thomas Malkin

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
A recent report says that global auto manufacturers are currently investing more than $90 billion in electric auto production...

The automobile world is evolving at a very fast pace...

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1F42NW
If Tesla was ever shennaniganed out of business, these manufacturers would drop the electric car lines immediately. They really really really don't wanna.

Damned shame, really. The one time I spoke to Elio's head of...engineering, was it? he expressed great interest in making an electric Elio. He naturally also firmly expressed the need to finish what they'd started first, then they would move on to electrics.

The aerodynamics that make an Elio workable as a cheap gas-powered autocycle would work just as well or better on a battery Elio. I have always said that if they went on sale, I'd buy two - keep an all-original for historical value (or I just wanna) and send number two out to be engineered into an electric, maybe by Zelectric Cars. Sell the engine, or perhaps I'd have worked a deal with Elio Motors to buy a glider (engineless car). With a fast DC charger onboard, that eElio would be a hell of a long distance cruiser.

Last edited:

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ford, Nissan, Hyundai, and Smart already sell EVs under $30k. The following prices do NOT include any federal or state tax credits which, if you qualify, can drop the price by many thousand.
  • 2017 Smart Electric $23,800
  • 2018 Ford Focus Electric $29,190
  • 2017 Hyundai Ioniq Electric $29,500
  • 2018 Nissan Leaf $29,900.
Or are these not "major" enough?

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with Tesla. Please open up your geographical area. China is way ahead of everyone when it comes to EV’s. As for the US, we will stick with ICE for a long time.

ElioWallSteet

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with Tesla. Please open up your geographical area. China is way ahead of everyone when it comes to EV’s. As for the US, we will stick with ICE for a long time.

China certainly leads the world with regards to EV production...

I expect the United States to follow China’s example with regards to increased EV vehicle production...

The winds of change are coming!

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I gotta tell ya, up until mid 2017, I would have never considered an electric vehicle. Then I started looking at the Chevy Volt a little bit. Got very good reviews, people were happy with just running on the battery, but the range wasn't steller. Then I started paying real attention to what my real driving habits entailed, I'll be darned if it (battery) was well within my daily work commute, and with the ICE, I was anticipating no "range axiety", plus I could make long trips when I so desired.

Then a hurricane came along, with all the requisite panic buying of gasoline. Even when people had 3/4 tank of gas, they would roll into the gas station. I know this as fact, because at least 2 of my co-workers did this. And they both had vehicles getting 35+ mpg!

That sealed the deal for me, so I bought a used Volt last Sep, and have had zero regrets in doing so. I run mostly on battery, and have only put maybe 20 gallons at most in since I bought it.

I can definitely see the appeal of a car getting 200+ miles on a charge for a daily driver, it will exceed most everybody's daily requirements, by a long shot.

Plus the Volt is FUN to drive, and I've always liked the 1st generation styling. Kinda looks like a mini Camaro, if you like such things.

All that being said, I will still be ecstatic to receive my green Elio, and hope to enjoy it as much, if not more than the Volt!

Come on Paul, let's gitter dun!

Top Bottom