• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Gm Lean Machine

RadRich

Elio Fan
Reaction score
As seen in the movie, Demolition Man: GM Lean Machine

gmlean.jpg

404.jpg

The GM Lean Machine was developed by Frank Winchell of General Motors (USA) in the early 1980’s as a concept car. The single seater vehicle is a “lean” machine in the true sense of the word as it leans into corners like a motorcycle whilst keeping the stability of a normal car. The original model was powered by a 15 hp 2-cylinder engine that produced a maximum speed of 80 mph with a fuel economy of 80 mpg at 40 mph. Shortly afterwards a second model was produced that was powered by a larger 38 hp engine. With a total body weight of 159kg this gave the vehicle outstanding performance and the Lean Machine was able to reach 60 mph in just 6.8 seconds with a fuel economy of over 200 mpg.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember waaay back in the 80s, the Lean Machine was on display at GM's sponsored ride at Disney World. I dropped my jaw when I saw it. I was a bike rider at that time and could see myself in one of those things – real quick. The thing looked like a bullet on wheels. For years, I hoped GM would bring it to the market. What a shame it never happened.

I remember reading, that this vehicle was a hand full to drive. I believe one hand had to help control the lean – while steering with the other…. or perhaps the feet were used in the lean? Regardless it wasn't easy to maneuver properly. On the movie set, they had their hands full in learning how to drive it.

However, I've seen some pretty awesome footage of the vehicle speeding along – carving up turns. I wished GM had pursued the Lean Machine. After 25 years of refinement, can you imagine where we would have been at this point in time?

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember waaay back in the 80s, the Lean Machine was on display at GM's sponsored ride at Disney World. I dropped my jaw when I saw it. I was a bike rider at that time and could see myself in one of those things – real quick. The thing looked like a bullet on wheels. For years, I hoped GM would bring it to the market. What a shame it never happened.

I remember reading, that this vehicle was a hand full to drive. I believe one hand had to help control the lean – while steering with the other…. or perhaps the feet were used in the lean? Regardless it wasn't easy to maneuver properly. On the movie set, they had their hands full in learning how to drive it.

However, I've seen some pretty awesome footage of the vehicle speeding along – carving up turns. I wished GM had pursued the Lean Machine. After 25 years of refinement, can you imagine where we would have been at this point in time?
http://www.maxmatic.com/ttw_leanmachine.htm:):):rolleyes:
lean machine.png
more information

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read where two years ago, the grandson of Frank Winchell posted, that he was continuing the development. No details were mentioned…. just that he was continuing in his grandfather's footsteps.

If you google a bit and read some posts – it's amazing how people stated how they wished GM had either pursued it themselves, or had licensed out the concept. Nope, GM just threw it in a drawer. I can't even find where the machine is. In a museum? There were mules too and a number of developmental pieces. I wonder where the stuff is? If anyone finds it, please post the location. I'm curious as heck.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I prefer my 3 wheelers with 2 in front . Ala Elio . There are over 400 Billionaires in the USA . Paul Elio should pack a small bag and visit each of them .
A $200 million dollar investment for any of these folks is not significant . What are the odds that all 400 think this vehicle has no merit ? There are funds to be had if effort is put forth .

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I prefer my 3 wheelers with 2 in front . Ala Elio . There are over 400 Billionaires in the USA . Paul Elio should pack a small bag and visit each of them .
A $200 million dollar investment for any of these folks is not significant . What are the odds that all 400 think this vehicle has no merit ? There are funds to be had if effort is put forth .

Not a bad idea. That is what a "Placement Firm" does. It's called a "Dog-&-Pony" show.
Principals travel with prospectus in hand & meet with 'Private' investors to raise capital.
The trick will be in selling the projects viability..................40K reservations + fleet sales
+ Suppliers + Cafe Credits + potential ATVM loam + running bespoke motor & a place
to build it all make for a pretty tasty package. A lot of effort has been put forth up to this
point. The finish line is in sight if they can keep on keepin on..........:)

Last edited:

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more.

Elio's crew just have to get in front of the right folks. $200 mil to some is like me writing a check for $200 – if my wife says I can ;)

Top Bottom