• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ground Clearance With Chin Scoop

Jeff H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've read on the forums that clearance is similar to other small cars. However, I do like the chin scoop but I'm worried because the pics of the Elio's chin already look low. Any chance next time someone is at an Elio showing you good snap a pic of the front end with a tape measure there too?

I know no one has actually seen a real life chin scoop (am I wrong) but I'd hate to get it and then ding it going up an inclined driveway.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've read on the forums that clearance is similar to other small cars. However, I do like the chin scoop but I'm worried because the pics of the Elio's chin already look low. Any chance next time someone is at an Elio showing you good snap a pic of the front end with a tape measure there too?

I know no one has actually seen a real life chin scoop (am I wrong) but I'd hate to get it and then ding it going up an inclined driveway.
Welcome from the Evergreen State, just a guess here, and those more in the know will pipe-in, but I don't think anyone will know that answer until it's on a unit that we can get the info. Of course it depends on the incline of your driveway, but the unit has about 6" ground clearance, ( about the same as many automobiles.) Chrysler made a retro looking hot-rod (name escapes me), which I couldn't purchase it had such low clearance, couldn't make a very slight driveway from the street.
Best of luck to us all and hope you will report back in a few months after you try it with your E!!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

The Elio has a ground clearance of 5 1/4"; they have never stated how much you lose with the chin spoiler.
I had a 65 Chevy Shorty van that I put an air dam on, and had to teach myself a new way to drive.
When pulling up to a parking curb, picture it and stop that much before you would hit it; or at least always remember to approach s l o w l y until you hear it scrape, or start to hit.
Driveways, don't go straight into them, always approach from an angle; less likely to scrape, same with leaving.
Road with deep snow between the tire tracks; it makes for a great snow plow.
Avoid deep potholes, and get used to hearing it scrape, because it will.
Two choices (ok 3) 1) Don't buy it. 2) put it on accepting that it will scrape. 3) Buy it, but don't put it on unless you're going to be "showing" the Elio; then install it, do the show, take it off and store till next show.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
May 12, 2016
Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)
Thanks for reaching out to us.
The ground clearance is 5.75" which is consistent with other vehicles on the road such as the Toyota Corolla, the Honda Accord EX and even the Mercedes S550. Given our ground clearance, potholes and speed bumps or steep inclines will be no problem! We are currently in the process of doing extensive simulated vehicle testing (this accounts for much of today’s vehicle testing). More information will be provided as we near the start of production.

Jeff H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
May 12, 2016
Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)
Thanks for reaching out to us.
The ground clearance is 5.75" which is consistent with other vehicles on the road such as the Toyota Corolla, the Honda Accord EX and even the Mercedes S550. Given our ground clearance, potholes and speed bumps or steep inclines will be no problem! We are currently in the process of doing extensive simulated vehicle testing (this accounts for much of today’s vehicle testing). More information will be provided as we near the start of production.

@booboo - Thanks for posting. So, it looks like a happy chin scoop could be in my future.

Jeff H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio has a ground clearance of 5 1/4"; they have never stated how much you lose with the chin spoiler.
I had a 65 Chevy Shorty van that I put an air dam on, and had to teach myself a new way to drive.
When pulling up to a parking curb, picture it and stop that much before you would hit it; or at least always remember to approach s l o w l y until you hear it scrape, or start to hit.
Driveways, don't go straight into them, always approach from an angle; less likely to scrape, same with leaving.
Road with deep snow between the tire tracks; it makes for a great snow plow.
Avoid deep potholes, and get used to hearing it scrape, because it will.
Two choices (ok 3) 1) Don't buy it. 2) put it on accepting that it will scrape. 3) Buy it, but don't put it on unless you're going to be "showing" the Elio; then install it, do the show, take it off and store till next show.

If it is easily removable, I'd pull it for the snow season and then put it back on in the spring.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
@booboo - Thanks for posting. So, it looks like a happy chin scoop could be in my future.
I am trying for the ultimate, "This is what the wind looks like", aerodynamic vehicle. If the scoop or spoiler helped with this I might add on. I would guess that if the ELIO has a smooth bottom the scoop is probably no help, and the tiny spoiler no help too under 150mph. If they are just for looks, probably not going on mine.
But wait, if the scoop did actually push more air through the engine compartment I could consider it part of a tow package.

Last edited:

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome from the Evergreen State, just a guess here, and those more in the know will pipe-in, but I don't think anyone will know that answer until it's on a unit that we can get the info. Of course it depends on the incline of your driveway, but the unit has about 6" ground clearance, ( about the same as many automobiles.) Chrysler made a retro looking hot-rod (name escapes me), which I couldn't purchase it had such low clearance, couldn't make a very slight driveway from the street.
Best of luck to us all and hope you will report back in a few months after you try it with your E!!
Prowler

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How high is it to the top of the roof does any one know?
From Elio Motors website:

Exterior measurements:

• Overall Length: 160.5″
  • Front Wheel Track: 66.8″ (center rim to center rim)
  • Wheelbase: 110″ (center of front wheels to center of rear wheel)
  • Overall Height: 54.2″
  • Ground Clearance: 5.75”

Top Bottom