• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hello Elio Owners. Bl62 From Florida

Bl62

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Hello Elio people, I just joined this forum as an owner, I don’t know how much longer I’ll be one.

I love my Elio, BUT things have not gone the way I expected them to go. I am writing my experience to let all of you know and maybe get someone in the front office to get on the ball before I just call it quits and escalate this problem.

I joined in Dec of 2015 with $1000 (I’m in) refundable deposit. Later I found out that everyone with a $100 (All in) reservation signing up after me, was being pushed to the front of the line and getting their SOL numbers already, even before me, this is in May or June 2016.

Before the price increase to $7300 I e-mailed Elio with my concern, requesting clarification of how the reservation list was being handle. To me it seamed unfair that they were putting someone with just a $100 (All In) deposit in front of me while they were holding my $1000 since Dec 2015. I asked, what if 10000 reservations come in with the same $100 and I am pushed to the back of the line??? I may never get my Elio?? They said I would eventually get my Elio, but those $100 (All in) reservations would be ahead of me?? Not Fair at all, I said.

I do want my Elio, so I requested to be switched to the $100 (All in) non-refundable reservations and to be refunded the $900 difference. This I e-mailed back in July 25 2016. After several nasty e-mails and phone calls demanding a reply as to my switch and or my money back, they finally came back last week that I would have to get my full $1000 refund and join back in. I replied and requested confirmation of how the refund was going to be made, either as credit to my credit card or a check. It’s now been 8 more days (remember I started this in July 2016) and there has been no reply from Elio and there is no mention of a check or credit or the simple confirmation I asked as to my $1000 refundable deposit.

I do not want to think negatively but is this a Scam operation? Like it was mentioned by that car magazine? I don’t know? I hope not and I still like the idea of the Elio and would like to get one.

They are not making it easy….

BL 62

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Hi Bl62, welcome to the forum! Sorry that it has to be in a bad circumstance.

From your post above, much of your frustration seems to come from the fact that a $100 all-in goes in front of a $1000 want-in. I can understand your frustration and your feeling that this is not fair.

If you are age 35 or older, you probably know that many parts of life are not fair. There's not much you can do about those unfair parts. But one thing you can do is choose how you will react to that unfair aspect. If you are age 34 or younger, here's an example of how life is not fair.

It's not that this rule from Elio Motors changed, it's that you learned of the rule after you made your initial reservation.

So my advice: do some deep breathing, think of things that you are thankful for in your life. Spend some time thinking about things for which you are thankful. Do something you enjoy that helps you to relax.

The next day, I would contact Elio Motors and ask them to give you the full $1000 back. Be calm, polite, non-demanding, and pleasant. Don't worry about how long it takes to get your $ back. Let them know that you decided to wait on the $100 all-in.

On the day you get your $ back, mark a day on the calendar 2 weeks after. When that day arrives, decide if you still want the Elio. If you do, get yourself the $100 all-in.

This whole process will take a long time. But I think you'll be happier if you'll just get your money back and step away for a couple of weeks. Don't worry about your place in line! If you get a $100 all-in reservation on October 10th, it will probably be ahead of where you are now with the $1000 want-in.

This is just my opinion, and it's only based on what you've presented in your post above.

Hang in there. I'm sure you'll get some more advice from others on this forum.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

From your post above, much of your frustration seems to come from the fact that a $100 all-in goes in front of a $1000 want-in. I can understand your frustration and your feeling that this is not fair.

If you are age 35 or older, you probably know that many parts of life are not fair. There's not much you can do about those unfair parts. But one thing you can do is choose how you will react to that unfair aspect. If you are age 34 or younger, here's an example of how life is not fair.

It's not that this rule from Elio Motors changed, it's that you learned of the rule after you made your initial reservation.

So my advice: do some deep breathing, think of things that you are thankful for in your life. Spend some time thinking about things for which you are thankful. Do something you enjoy that helps you to relax.

The next day, I would contact Elio Motors and ask them to give you the full $1000 back. Be calm, polite, non-demanding, and pleasant. Don't worry about how long it takes to get your $ back. Let them know that you decided to wait on the $100 all-in.

On the day you get your $ back, mark a day on the calendar 2 weeks after. When that day arrives, decide if you still want the Elio. If you do, get yourself the $100 all-in.

This whole process will take a long time. But I think you'll be happier if you'll just get your money back and step away for a couple of weeks. Don't worry about your place in line! If you get a $100 all-in reservation on October 10th, it will probably be ahead of where you are now with the $1000 want-in.

This is just my opinion, and it's only based on what you've presented in your post above.

Well said. I'd also add that Elio is only taking reservations for the first year's production. Currently, if they cut off reservations, the difference between number 25,000 and 75,000 is about 100 days. So, the last $1000 want-in will get their Elio in probably fewer than 100 days after the last $1,00 all-in. And in the grand scheme of things, that isn't all that bad. Look at it this way - the All-in crowd can lose money if Elio fails where the Want-in people can't. Their money is being held in trust. So, because they are being rewarded with a discount, spot in line number, and a guaranty first-year production Elio for letting Elio use their money for development and building the car company, the All-in crowd is rewarded by getting their cars first. The Want-in crowd, other than being added to the "we have a bunch of people who reserved Elios" line, aren't helping Elio financially and are taking no real risk... Thus, their reward is merely a guaranty that they'll get a first-year production Elio and a discount.

More risk = more reward. That's fair. It wouldn't be fair that someone who takes more risk be put in line behind someone taking minimal risk.

aahz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
BL 62: In my situation I inadvertently made a mistake entering my info the first time and had to correct it. Wound up with 2 $100 all in reservations, I sent Elio a message about my error and they refunded my second $100 right away. Your experience seems similar but your expecting "them" to change things for you. Don't! Ask for the refund politely and then decide where to go from there.
You'll be much happier. .
Good luck and hope the best for you!

Bl62

Elio Fan
Reaction score

Hi Jeff, I understood that the "all in" reservations were to go ahead of me and I was Ok with that. From the point of the date that I joined, (Dec 2015) but it never said that after that date all other (all in) reservations were to go in front of me. I thought the DATE that I joined played a role there. I don't think that an" I'm in" reservation, for say last Dec or of a couple of years ago would be happy to learn that everybody joining in now would be in front of them. I think the rules were not applied properly. But having said so, that is not my entire issue because I am willing to change my reservation to a non refundable. I am 65, been there and done that, and been given the shaft several times for being extra nice. As AAHZ posted, he got his $ right away. I've been waiting for two months now. How long does that take. I believe that I will get my $ but it's their delay, and lack of responsibility, urgency, and not communicating with me to keep me inform, that has put me in this level of anger, and mistrust. I will not put in another $100 (I am also withholding my GF's Elio reservation too) until I get my $1000 back from them. FM once shame on you, FM twice shame on me. I thank you for your post and I hope this mess straightens out quickly. I want to be one happy Elio owner. BL62.

Bl62

Elio Fan
Reaction score
BL 62: In my situation I inadvertently made a mistake entering my info the first time and had to correct it. Wound up with 2 $100 all in reservations, I sent Elio a message about my error and they refunded my second $100 right away. Your experience seems similar but your expecting "them" to change things for you. Don't! Ask for the refund politely and then decide where to go from there.
You'll be much happier. .
Good luck and hope the best for you!
Hi AAHZ, In my e-mail I gave them the option of either send me the whole thing back or make the change. I left it up to them to decide. They decided to refund me everything and for me to join in again. But as of today they still have not replied as to which form of refund I would be getting. I asked them to let me know, Credit card refund or a check??? I've been nice but the fuse is about to ignite. It's their lack of professionalism, responsibility, that has me this way. I have already gotten 2 people to join and make a reservation, my GF will be the third. One of those that I got to join, already changed his reservation to "All In" non-refundable and locked in his price at $7000. And I'm still here waiting for them to answer my e-mails and phone calls. Back up of e-mails ???? They said?? I don't think so.. Thanks for your post. BL 62

Bl62

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Well said. I'd also add that Elio is only taking reservations for the first year's production. Currently, if they cut off reservations, the difference between number 25,000 and 75,000 is about 100 days. So, the last $1000 want-in will get their Elio in probably fewer than 100 days after the last $1,00 all-in. And in the grand scheme of things, that isn't all that bad. Look at it this way - the All-in crowd can lose money if Elio fails where the Want-in people can't. Their money is being held in trust. So, because they are being rewarded with a discount, spot in line number, and a guaranty first-year production Elio for letting Elio use their money for development and building the car company, the All-in crowd is rewarded by getting their cars first. The Want-in crowd, other than being added to the "we have a bunch of people who reserved Elios" line, aren't helping Elio financially and are taking no real risk... Thus, their reward is merely a guaranty that they'll get a first-year production Elio and a discount.

More risk = more reward. That's fair. It wouldn't be fair that someone who takes more risk be put in line behind someone taking minimal risk.
Hello Ty It is the way they handle the reservations, of course I want my Elio, that's why I put down $1000 but I wasn't about to risk it, and I understood that the "All In" that joined on the same day and before where ahead of me. I was OK with that. Would you want to be waiting however long and finding out that there were new / newer reservations of lesser amount getting in front of you. I thought that the DATE you joined matter. Of course I want my discount, of course I want my SOL #, but not to have the rules change and have everybody getting in front of the line. And once again the front of the line is not my strongest issue, it is their lack of responsibility , their delay (two months) in the refund (Are they keeping my refundable $1000 or WHAT ?? ) and in answering e-mails and phone calls that gives me this feeling of mistrust specially after reading that article (I forget where) that this might me a scam, and that it will never take off, much like some other company that tried in the past that they mentioned?? Elio, answer me, keep me in touch and send me my money. I will gladly make a new reservation in the $100 "All In" non refundable and wait patiently for my Elio. Thank you for your post. BL62

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello Ty It is the way they handle the reservations, of course I want my Elio, that's why I put down $1000 but I wasn't about to risk it, and I understood that the "All In" that joined on the same day and before where ahead of me. I was OK with that. Would you want to be waiting however long and finding out that there were new / newer reservations of lesser amount getting in front of you. I thought that the DATE you joined matter. Of course I want my discount, of course I want my SOL #, but not to have the rules change and have everybody getting in front of the line. And once again the front of the line is not my strongest issue, it is their lack of responsibility , their delay (two months) in the refund (Are they keeping my refundable $1000 or WHAT ?? ) and in answering e-mails and phone calls that gives me this feeling of mistrust specially after reading that article (I forget where) that this might me a scam, and that it will never take off, much like some other company that tried in the past that they mentioned?? Elio, answer me, keep me in touch and send me my money. I will gladly make a new reservation in the $100 "All In" non refundable and wait patiently for my Elio. Thank you for your post. BL62
Had you been ever so slightly following the progress/rules/contracts/blogs, and the piles of stuff posted here, you would have, long ago realized that you have in fact fooled yourself twice, (maybe more)
Please read the ever extensive discussions regarding your issues. They have mostly gone the way of the door opening/side, the gas filler, and the missing color (Y)
BTW welcome from The Pacific Northwest, by way of Delray Beach.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me get this in first; I'll continue after:
Elio Owners Forum is not affiliated directly to Elio Motors.
Elio Motors can be contacted at:

Website
http://www.eliomotors.com

Elio Customer Service: Toll Free: (844) 289-3546
Direct: (480) 500-6800 Ext. 1
Phone Hours: M-F 9am – 3pm Central Time

Emails:
tellmemore@eliomotors.com
orders@eliomotors.com
support@eliomotors.zendesk.com
https://reservations.eliomotors.com/customer/account/

Mailing address:
Elio Motors, Inc.
2942 North 24th Street,
Suite 114-700
Phoenix, AZ 85016

In your case I suggest you do your communication by phone.
So of the information you stated is a little wrong; so let's get that straight first:
Numbers, place in Line, etc.
The only people that get an SIL (Spot In Line) are those that are $1,000 All In <Non-refundable>
No one else gets a number; you are in order according to amount paid in All In than Want In; the next order within that first order is the according to date as recorded.
So anyone at $100 Want in is pretty much last in line; the earlier the date that $1K All is the first in line; $100 All In is the middle.
SIL's are sent out every 6 to 8 weeks.

Next part; if you sign the Commitment and you are an All In, you can buy the base Elio for $7,000
If you don't sign the Commitment, and you are an All In you can buy the base Elio at $7,300
If you are at any amount as a Want In (refundable) you can buy the base model at $7,300 after all of the All In's; (you can't sign the commitment until you are an All In).

This is all of the basic information as we have been told.

I suggest you Contact Elio Motors and work out your conflicts with them via phone.

Top Bottom