• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hey Wheaters!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Not exactly, my car doesn't qualify as a vintage sports car (at least, not yet) and I'm certainly not "landed gentry". However, the sport we do is essentially exactly the same. It's mainly about having a good day out and seeing lots of different vehicles compete against the hill (and the crafty devils who lay out the "restarts" in the most awkward places). You could actually take part in an Elio, but I don't think you would get very far on many of the hills.

I'm a member of the MCC (Motor Cycling Club) which organises three main trials in the year, consisting of off-road sections, some of which date back over 100 years, connected by a road journey of about 200 miles. These are named the Exeter, the Lands' End and the Edinburgh trials. These are held for cars and motorcycles and often involve about three hundred vehicles, sometimes more. Club members get invites to other people's trials; for example MG owners' club events. We often beat all the MGs; they are quite gracious about it, but not surprisingly they won't let us have the main prize and put us in our own class!

I haven't actually competed for a few years because I've optimised my car mainly for on-road use, with a tall rear axle ratio, which makes it unsuitable for steep off-road competitions and to be honest, I don't want to break it!

This is the MCC website: http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/

There's a few videos of me competing in my car with my son on YouTube. Type in "Liege MGCC" and you should find them. Most of them were taken by my daughter, then aged 12, hence the girly comments and the rustling potato chip packet! She's now a glamourous 17 and cringes at the very thought!

Last edited:

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ah, yes, Glorious Goodwood! I've been to the Goodwood Revival a few times, taking folks in there by air. My previous Boss owns what is supposed to be the second largest Ferrari collection in the world, after Ferrari themselves, so he usually had cars running in the events.

Trialling used to be a regular feature on TV here, in the winter; I remember it as a kid watching it in black and white. It's an excellent spectator sport but it went out of fashion, I suppose in favour of more lucrative deals for the TV companies. Triallers don't do advertising, you see.. ;)

Here's a good old fashioned film of trialling almost fifty years ago. Nothing much has changed since then, it's just a bunch of enthusiasts having fun, as it was then.

The car at about the 2:00 minute mark in that video (by the pigs!) is HAB 245, a prototype Dellow owned by Eric Penn. I think this is the car that my Liege relates to very closely.

Top Bottom