• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hi Gang! Northwest Ks Here

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Have been following the Elio story for 2 months, it's interesting, entertaining and fun to follow along, and see if this will really happen. I can't remember how or why I heard of it, and I've not reserved one yet. I was on a business trip in Scottsdale Apr 27-30, and the Elio tour was in Phoenix a few days later. Dangit! :) Since I live in such a rural area, I won't get the chance to sit in it.

I've enjoyed reading and researching helmet laws, motorcycle endorsement laws, the plant leasing process, and column-writers and even a Caddo parish board member who think Elio has no chance for success.

I've seen the latest: September 2015 is the latest plan for starting production. It seems to me, if a person wants to have one of these cars before December 2016, you need to reserve one soon.

For one-person and most two-person trips, it seems like the only drawbacks at this point in the design: driver has to get better at missing potholes, as you have two small straddle areas instead of one bigger one... and if you have more than 3 plastic grocery bags of stuff to haul, you can't get it/bring it for lack of space. I've heard stories that the P4's back seat is a bit claustrophobic, but the tour team has taken note and hopefully the P5 will have more back seat room.

One really interesting aspect: the car vs. autocycle vs. motorcycle thing. Right now the plan is that you register it as a motorcycle, and probably insure it as an autocycle, and your driver's license hopefully in the future if not already only needs to be for a normal car. State laws vary wildly for all of these. Will be anxious to follow the laws and see what changes. Govt and insurance companies are certainly going to want their cut, so I see those costs rising maybe 2 yrs after Elios start being sold.

Very open to discussions on any and all of the Elio storylines.

Jeff

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff, Welcome to the ElioOwners.com forum from Atlanta, GA! :)

We are glad to have you here. From your introduction it is very obvious you have read pretty much anything you could find on this vehicle. You have pretty much summed up where we all stand right now. I am sure Elio Motors will continue working with all the state governments as it is in Elios best interest to make it as easy to own this vehicle as possible.

You have joined a very diverse group of people from all over the country who really enjoy discussing everything there is to know about this interesting vehicle. I hope you enjoy your time here reading about and/or discussing all there is to know about Elio Motors.

If you ever happen to have any issues while on this forum please be sure to notify a staff member as we are here to help. :cool:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have been following the Elio story for 2 months, it's interesting, entertaining and fun to follow along, and see if this will really happen. I can't remember how or why I heard of it, and I've not reserved one yet. I was on a business trip in Scottsdale Apr 27-30, and the Elio tour was in Phoenix a few days later. Dangit! :) Since I live in such a rural area, I won't get the chance to sit in it.

I've enjoyed reading and researching helmet laws, motorcycle endorsement laws, the plant leasing process, and column-writers and even a Caddo parish board member who think Elio has no chance for success.

I've seen the latest: September 2015 is the latest plan for starting production. It seems to me, if a person wants to have one of these cars before December 2016, you need to reserve one soon.

For one-person and most two-person trips, it seems like the only drawbacks at this point in the design: driver has to get better at missing potholes, as you have two small straddle areas instead of one bigger one... and if you have more than 3 plastic grocery bags of stuff to haul, you can't get it/bring it for lack of space. I've heard stories that the P4's back seat is a bit claustrophobic, but the tour team has taken note and hopefully the P5 will have more back seat room.

One really interesting aspect: the car vs. autocycle vs. motorcycle thing. Right now the plan is that you register it as a motorcycle, and probably insure it as an autocycle, and your driver's license hopefully in the future if not already only needs to be for a normal car. State laws vary wildly for all of these. Will be anxious to follow the laws and see what changes. Govt and insurance companies are certainly going to want their cut, so I see those costs rising maybe 2 yrs after Elios start being sold.

Very open to discussions on any and all of the Elio storylines.

Jeff
Hi and Welcome from Oregon, Jeff. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of this forum as I do. It has been an education and an exciting experience as we travel the wondrous journey to Elio ownership. Next year in our Elios! :-) Z

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jeff, welcome to the forum and this merry band of Elio fans. Hopefully the helpful friendly people here will provide you with enough information for you to make a decision if the Elio is right for you. We are excited about this historic vehicle and hope you will be too. Welcome and enjoy the experience and the journey

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jeff, welcome to the forum and this merry band of Elio fans. Hopefully the helpful friendly people here will provide you with enough information for you to make a decision if the Elio is right for you. We are excited about this historic vehicle and hope you will be too. Welcome and enjoy the experience and the journey
Hi Jim, yep I'm excited for sure, my fiance would probably say in a joking way that I'm obsessed, and I of course do all I can and say to convince her I'm not. lol

Yes, getting lots of information from friendly and helpful folks here. I am looking forward to the next 2+ yrs, and having my fingers crossed for Sept 2015 to be THEE month of production. elioowners.com seems like a great place to discuss and learn of news.

Top Bottom