• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hobbies Of Elio Owners

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi future Elio Owners...

Just wanted to know what hobbies future Elio owners have across the nation...

Mine is raising fish, Rainbow Trout in fact, because the books say you can't do it in a urban city... I have had them for over 3 years and they are still going strong... taste good too...

Just because they say it " Can't be done "... does not make it true!!

Kind of like starting a new Autocycle company from the bottom up...

I have about 30+ which are anywhere from 3-8 lbs. some of the big one's are about 28" long...8-? lbs...

I also do Aquaponics, which is growing food using fish waste water to grow plants..
one plant.JPG

This whole system cleans the water for the fish and feeds the plants at the same time...

RC Drone for taking pictures and videos of my Elio meets is my next new hobby...

So what are YOUR hobbies...

Proud to Be... an Elio owner #2225

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi future Elio Owners...

Just wanted to know what hobbies future Elio owners have across the nation...

Mine is raising fish, Rainbow Trout in fact, because the books say you can't do it in a urban city... I have had them for over 3 years and they are still going strong... taste good too...

Just because they say it " Can't be done "... does not make it true!!

Kind of like starting a new Autocycle company from the bottom up...

I have about 50+ which are anywhere from 3-8 lbs. some of the big one's are about 28" long...8-? lbs...

I also do Aquaponics, which is growing food using fish waste water to grow plants.. View attachment 2060

This whole system cleans the water for the fish and feeds the plants at the same time...

RC Drone for taking pictures and videos of my Elio meets is my next new hobby...

So what are YOUR hobbies...

Proud to Be... an Elio owner #2225
Great idea for a forum thread. Now I'm going to have to settle down and think about what of the many things I do can be considered a hobby. It is tough because I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up so that means I am always trying new things. :-) Z

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sooooo coool! I love it!

I invent and tinker in the garage. I'm working on an all solar-powered, cascaded-tube, biodiesel reactor (turns vegetable oil into biodiesel). It has no pumps or motors or driven moving parts and mounts to a small trailer.

9 Sep 2014 edit: a short video of earlier development work at my buddy's house.

Last edited:

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hobbies? I'm married with kids and dogs and chickens and fish and canaries....

If I get time to myself I like to build, modify and repair cars and also do other DIY stuff around the house. I sometimes take part in classic trials competitions, which involve on and off-road sections. My son and I recently took my home built car to Spain and France with half a dozen other owners. We covered a couple thousand miles in it over eight days, including crossing the Picos and the Pyrenees.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
yup, I am a hobby farmer also, had ducks, chickens and sheep (only chickens left now), mainly collect old tools for the shelves in my barn. Grow my own grapes, make my own wine (dandelion and elderberry besides grape), grow tobacco (because they said it couldnt be done here), essentially try to be pretty self sufficient in general.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've done quite a few "buy, fix, sell" cars that usually involve engine work. People tend to be scared to get into a motor themselves so I'll pick projects that seem like fun and keep them around for a little while. That way, I get to drive around something that I wouldn't normally buy. Example: 4X4 Geo Tracker - low power but running, bought for $340... It needed an exhaust valve replaced. It cost me $100 to have the valve seat re-ground and about $120 for the gaskets and oil. It took me a weekend to take it apart and a weekend to put it together. I bought a $220 top for it and, of course, cleaned it up. I kept it around thinking that it would be a good little car for my oldest daughter at the time but she showed little interest... So, I sold it for quite a profit.

I've also rescued a 1960 Ford Falcon that required a little body work, an engine transplant, transmission, floorboards, carpet, etc... There were a bunch of other cars in there... Anyway, in addition to cars, I like hiking, golf, woodwork, and general handyman stuff.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
My big hobbies are traveling, riding my motorcycles, and tinkering with and restoring cars and motorcycles with my father who is also my business partner. I used to do some autocross and road course racing however have not done much of that in recent years.

We are fortunate enough to have a property with two buildings on the property where we can play around. One building is a big barn we use as a garage and the other building is our workshop where we work on our cars and business projects. In the shop today we have two ongoing projects which are a 1979 Chevrolet Corvette being taken apart and a 1972 Chevy Nova which has been painted and is now being reassembled. My 1979 Triumph Spitfire is also temporarily in the shop as we are removing the carburetor to have it rebuilt as it is not running very reliably at the moment.

IMG_20140423_180629.jpg

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Love the topic. My wife claims I have the Oddest hobby Especially when I ask her to help me carry them into the basement!! I collect and restore Pinball machines! The addiction has gotten to the point where I have to store them at other locations but I keep roughly 25 machines in the house for the family and friends. It still puts a smile on my face when my younger daughter brings over a friend and they are Amazed we have an arcade in the house and even more amazing how Few have even seen a pinball machine! Priceless to watch. I personally just enjoy the quite time restoring them and repairing the electronics to bring them back to new again. I told you it was an Odd hobby!!

View attachment 2061 View attachment 2062

Blackbird, that is so cool, such an awesome hobby! I've come so close to diving in and buying a pinball machine, just never took the plunge. I worked at an arcade for 2+ years while in college, from about 1984-1986. We had mostly electronic games but always had 1-2 pinball machines. I for one will change "odd hobby" for you to "awesome hobby"!

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Growing up in the Texas Panhandle the only music our family radio could pick up was Country & Western. When I was eleven, Mom was able to get a portable phonograph for the family. Being the oldest of six kids, it fell to me to take the $5 she had to the record store and buy some records. In the store the records were all $3 and $4 each. Very Expensive! But in the back of the store I found a box of Lps on sale for a dollar each. I didn't recognize any of the names on the covers (Crosby, Como, Sinatra, etc.) Another box had a bunch of monophonic Lps (stereo had just recently become popular) with strange, weird names like Beethoven, Mozart, Mahler, etc. I had never heard of these guys either but they were Two for $1. I had to make a decision. I could get 10 records for $5. When I got home Mom and Dad didn't say anything but I could tell they were disappointed in my choice. But the MUSIC! I had never heard anything like it. Even coming out of a monophonic 3 inch speaker, I fell in love with the melodies, the passion, the sound. I was hooked.

I started spending my paper route money on more records. I joined the Columbia Record club. My collection grew. In 1977, I saw my first opera. PBS's live broadcast of Pucinni's La Boheme with Pavarotti. Even though our 19 inch tv was B&W, the passion of the singers came through. And the subtitles made it easy to follow the action. I became an opera fanatic. Once you are hooked, you are changed forever. That reminds me of an interview I heard with Patrick Stewart, star of Star Trek and many other movies. He was in his 30s, didn't really like classical music or opera that much (he'd never been to one) but a friend dragged him to a 5 hour performance of Belioz's The Trojans. He said he was mesmerized and the 5 hours seemed like an hour and he's been an opera fan ever since.

Living in Dodge City where I was a teacher, opportunities to see live opera was very rare. But in 2006, the Metropolitan Opera began telecasting live to movie theaters around the world. It was still a 10 hour drive to Pueblo, Colorado, but at least once each season I'd make the trip. Where I live now in retirement it is still a 180 mile drive to see the Met theater broadcasts, but with the Elio I plan to make the trip often. I can even take another opera fan (if I can find one) with me in the rear seat. A couple of gallons of gas, $18 for the ticket, some popcorn and soda, I'll be in opera Nirvana. (They still show subtitles during the opera on the big screen, even the ones in English. And during intermissions, the camera goes backstage and you get to watch all the stage hands scramble to get ready for the next act. Check out the Met Opera page. You might get hooked on opera, too. PBS will sometimes broadcast the performances a year or so later on Great Performances.)

http://www.metopera.org/metopera/liveinhd/live-in-hd-2014-15-season

fpelsdca

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In my younger days I would fly airplanes. My favorite TV show was "Sky King". After I got married my flying days were over - too expensive. Between flying and marriage I did LOTS of scuba diving, but ended up selling all that equipment and haven't been deeper than I can go on one breathe of air since. I still enjoy sailing, but to continue that I need to find another friend that has a boat. My last friend with a sailboat moved from San Diego to Jacksonville, FL. I keep thinking that I could get my own, but I stay so busy there is just not enough time to sail to make it worth the effort. I used to dream of retiring to a live-aboard sail boat and spend my remaining days travling the world going from one warm water port to another. But alas, my wife suffers from motion sickness (and she is retired Navy). We met just over 4 years ago when we both decided to re-learn Square Dancing. We got married last November, In Las Vegas, by Elvis, on 11-12-13 at 14:15:16. So today we belong to several Square Dance Clubs here in San Diego and dance 4 to 5 nights every week. It is good exercise and keeps our mind focused.

Top Bottom