• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hood Lock

Grayfox72

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I've been looking at photos of the P3 and P4 and some photos I took personally at an event and all photos show two chrome pins securing the hood in place. I hope this is not the way the Elio team intends to keep the hood closed. Seems a little bit of a Hot Rod appearance not at all with the over all image of the car......

Bill Tyson

Elio Fan
Reaction score
My concern, which I have expressed to the firm, is that it becomes too easy for someone else to have access to the engine. I would have to put locks on them if they stay with the pins. Not a good look!

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure that's just a quick, simple and CHEAP way to configure the prototypes. It'll likely have the typical cable operated locking mechanism like most/all vehicles today. Won't need a safety latch if they keep the final production model hinged at the nose.
And if they leave it that way I'm fine with it.
Anyone else ever owned a Jeep CJ-X, YJ, or TJ? Hood secured with nifty rubber straps for 50-or-so years of production.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I used to drag race in my younger days. Had hood pins in the same place they are on the Elio. They do have hood pins that are flush and you turn with a hollow round key. The only problem with anything like this is, I have not seen anything chromed, not rust out after a while and the lock would fill up with grime.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My concern, which I have expressed to the firm, is that it becomes too easy for someone else to have access to the engine. I would have to put locks on them if they stay with the pins. Not a good look!
Now that I would say is a legit concern. Cable operated locking mechanism has also been around for years, why go back to the pins? Also for peace of mind when leaving the car outside the garage or some hotel parking when travelling. Then again, Elio Motors has the final say which one will stay and which one will go so crossed your fingers fellas!

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had a CJ once upon a time and had my battery stolen twice---you can't really lock the damn things up anyway---think the ELIO needs an internal hood release arrangement!

Top Bottom