• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Horse Power

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The new Hot Rod magazine has a couple of articles that might of interest here. On page 20 is a story of Volvo's 2.0 Liter motor with three turbos, making 450 HP. 225 HP per liter. On page 16 is a story of a Kawasaki Ninja 1.0 Liter motor making 300 HP. Seriously, 998cc four cylinder making 296 HP. And on page 18 is a story of Audi making diesel out of air, water, and electricity. What a crazy time we live in.

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Kawasaki H2 and H2R are definitely cool machines. Their superchargers are works of art.

I have to wonder about making a hydrocarbon from air, water, and electricity.

Hydrogen cars sound like a great idea, but the energy required to dissociate the hydrogen from oxygen in water exceeds the energy released when they recombine in a hydrogen fuel cell. I have a feeling the same is true for this stew of CO2, water, and electrons.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Kawasaki H2 and H2R are definitely cool machines. Their superchargers are works of art.

I have to wonder about making a hydrocarbon from air, water, and electricity.

Hydrogen cars sound like a great idea, but the energy required to dissociate the hydrogen from oxygen in water exceeds the energy released when they recombine in a hydrogen fuel cell. I have a feeling the same is true for this stew of CO2, water, and electrons.
Learning how the building blocks work can't be a bad thing...

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The new Hot Rod magazine has a couple of articles that might of interest here. On page 20 is a story of Volvo's 2.0 Liter motor with three turbos, making 450 HP. 225 HP per liter. On page 16 is a story of a Kawasaki Ninja 1.0 Liter motor making 300 HP. Seriously, 998cc four cylinder making 296 HP. And on page 18 is a story of Audi making diesel out of air, water, and electricity. What a crazy time we live in.
Just think how long a 55hp engine will last if, say, those engines make 100,000miles.:)

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just think what a lightweight, aerodynamic car, with a few extra horses could do at Bonneville, or the Texas Mile. What would it take to put one in the 200 mile an hour club? You know someone is going to do it. It already has a full roll cage and air bags. I have seen more Studebakers at Bonneville than I've ever seen on the street, for one reason, a 1950 Starlight coupe or Silver Hawk and especially an Avanti is a lot more aerodynamic than a 2015 Prius. I gotta believe 1,200 pounds, 350- 400 HP, and the aerodynamics of the E-car, can put a red cap on anyone crazy enough to do it

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
i can't afford the speeding tickets from lots of horses! Now good torque and a real tight road make me grin REALLY big! Elio and the Dragon!
I had to laugh at this because I have owned dozens of high powered cars over the years and all told have gotten way more speeding tickets in my winter beaters than my hot rods. Granted I usually put about twice the miles on the beater in a year than the good cars but still...
2gy4zv4.jpg

Top Bottom