• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

How About A Different Green Alternative Hybrid - Return To The Roots

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been fascinated by this engine for years - and I really wonder why this technology has never kept up.
From what I have read, the Doble engine was crazy efficient, even back in those days.

http://www.steamcar.net/uniflow-doble.html

uniflow-1.jpg

ChuckGG

Reaction score
Yes, please! 2-stroke, direct-injected diesel version for me sir. Thank you very much, sir.

Yes, I wondered about a diesel. Why not use the inherent high-mileage of those? Furthermore, I guess I'm in a quandary about why Elio needs to develop its own engine. That's a tricky task that could have disastrous results - and, it takes forever. If you want to kill a car, build one that has a brand-new engine that dies after 30,000 miles. Remember GM's ill-fated attempt at diesels?

I'd think a small diesel would be extremely reliable, provide great torque, get fantastic fuel mileage. I think developing an engine on your own is "something down the road." I'd get the "tried and true" out the door to establish the Elio as viable and then spend the R&D time and money on a specialized engine. What they do not need is "bad Press."

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I wondered about a diesel. Why not use the inherent high-mileage of those? Furthermore, I guess I'm in a quandary about why Elio needs to develop its own engine. That's a tricky task that could have disastrous results - and, it takes forever. If you want to kill a car, build one that has a brand-new engine that dies after 30,000 miles. Remember GM's ill-fated attempt at diesels?

I'd think a small diesel would be extremely reliable, provide great torque, get fantastic fuel mileage. I think developing an engine on your own is "something down the road." I'd get the "tried and true" out the door to establish the Elio as viable and then spend the R&D time and money on a specialized engine. What they do not need is "bad Press."
I don't believe you can install a diesel and stay anywhere near the $6800 price goal

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Take any motor today that would fit in the Elio. Now turn it into a 12 in. ruler. Take the 6 in. out of the middle and that's all the motor required to run an Elio. The rest would waste. When a car company designs a new motor, it is normally designed to cover the requirements of several car's in it's inventory and the conditions under which those car's would operate. At least half, if not more of this motor would be an add cost and weight. :)JMO

EM's motor is designed to get the Elio to 100 mph and 60 in under 10 sec. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
.... I'd get the "tried and true" out the door to establish the Elio as viable and then spend the R&D time and money on a specialized engine. What they do not need is "bad Press."

I'll try to answer some of your questions.
First: EM said, to buy an "existing engine" would have been too costly.
As EM stated, the engine that is closest to what meets their goal, is (was) the Geo Metro, 3-cyl. Since the molds are no longer available, (and the technology is over 20 years old) a complete redesign was needed anyway. At this point in time it would be ridiculous to STOP work on an engine that is nearing completion.
Altho a diesel engine could have met the 84 mpg goal quite easily, (my opinion) It too, would have required a complete design, been more costly, And with diesel fuel costing 20-30% more than gas, would also have also cost us more to operate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom