• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

How And When Will Autocycles Be Regulated In Canada

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's a Class 5 license?
A Class 5 License is a Regular Car Driver's License.

Basically indicating that no Motorcycle license will be required to operate Autocycles.

The Spyder on the other hand does require a Class 6, which is Motorcycle License. Spyder also requires Motorcycle Helmets to be ridden in Canada.

Manitoba uses these Driver License Classes

Class 1 (Semi-trailer Trucks)
Class 2 (Buses)
Class 3 (Larger Trucks)
Class 4 (Ambulances, Taxis, Emergency Vehicles)
Class 5 (Cars [3 and 4 wheels], Pick-Ups, Small Farm Equipment)
Class 6 (Motorcycles)

Last edited:

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks like Ontario is going a different way.

On March 1, 2016 the Ministry of Transportation(MTO) introduced a 10 year pilot project to allow the operation of three wheeled vehicles to determine whether they are a fit with other vehicles on the road, current licensing and existing rules of the road. The project brings Ontario into line with Québec, British Columbia, Manitoba and the Yukon where these vehicles are already legal.

http://drivenwheels.com/ontario-launches-10-year-project-to-allow-3-wheeled-vehicles/

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like Ontario is going a different way.

On March 1, 2016 the Ministry of Transportation(MTO) introduced a 10 year pilot project to allow the operation of three wheeled vehicles to determine whether they are a fit with other vehicles on the road, current licensing and existing rules of the road. The project brings Ontario into line with Québec, British Columbia, Manitoba and the Yukon where these vehicles are already legal.

http://drivenwheels.com/ontario-launches-10-year-project-to-allow-3-wheeled-vehicles/
So you're good?

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So you're good?
I believe so but need to confirm with my Insurance Company. They have direct access to the Motor Vehicle Department and Public Insurance Company.

Still waiting for response from Transport Canada but in the end it will all depend on how the Elio will be registered for use on Manitoba Roadways.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe so but need to confirm with my Insurance Company. They have direct access to the Motor Vehicle Department and Public Insurance Company.

Still waiting for response from Transport Canada but in the end it will all depend on how the Elio will be registered for use on Manitoba Roadways.
Have a small <insert your own ideas here> family ride on it, and call it a bus. :p

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ontario's laws are ridiculous when it comes to autocycles.
"Drivers of federally approved three-wheeled vehicles will need to hold a full G class licence or higher and must wear a helmet." Etc.

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I contacted MPIC which is our Government run Motor Vehicle Registration and Insurance Company and asked if Manitoba had any regulations and/or classifications yet for Auto-Cycles. The fellow I spoke to said yes that the Polaris Sling Shot was approved.

I indicated to him that the Sling Shot was more of a Motor Cycle, open to the Elements and required the wearing of a Helmet and requiring a Motor Cycle helmet and that I was not asking about such a vehicle, that Auto-Cycle that I was referring to was a fully enclosed 3-wheeled vehicle with Windshield, working windows and a hard top for the roof, Seat belts for two occupants siting in tandem and that it was made by Elio Motors.

Of course he stated that he had never heard of it so I asked if he would be willing to look at the Eliomotors.com site. He agreed to and came back with "Wow" , very impressive, when will it be available?

I mentioned that it was just getting produced for testing in the USA, for delivery sometime in the Summer of 2017 so it may not be available for Canada till after that but that Elio Motors owner Paul Elio would probably have to be in contact with Manitoba Government and the Motor Vehicle Branch before they could offer it for sale in Canada. He agreed and said that he was going to forward a link of the Eliomotors.com site to his boss and colleagues.

So far now, looks like Manitoba is not yet on board with Regulating the Classification of the Elio, but hopefully curiosity may have someone from Manitoba getting in touch with Elio Motors...... we can only hope for this at this point.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I contacted MPIC which is our Government run Motor Vehicle Registration and Insurance Company and asked if Manitoba had any regulations and/or classifications yet for Auto-Cycles. The fellow I spoke to said yes that the Polaris Sling Shot was approved.

I indicated to him that the Sling Shot was more of a Motor Cycle, open to the Elements and required the wearing of a Helmet and requiring a Motor Cycle helmet and that I was not asking about such a vehicle, that Auto-Cycle that I was referring to was a fully enclosed 3-wheeled vehicle with Windshield, working windows and a hard top for the roof, Seat belts for two occupants siting in tandem and that it was made by Elio Motors.

Of course he stated that he had never heard of it so I asked if he would be willing to look at the Eliomotors.com site. He agreed to and came back with "Wow" , very impressive, when will it be available?

I mentioned that it was just getting produced for testing in the USA, for delivery sometime in the Summer of 2017 so it may not be available for Canada till after that but that Elio Motors owner Paul Elio would probably have to be in contact with Manitoba Government and the Motor Vehicle Branch before they could offer it for sale in Canada. He agreed and said that he was going to forward a link of the Eliomotors.com site to his boss and colleagues.

So far now, looks like Manitoba is not yet on board with Regulating the Classification of the Elio, but hopefully curiosity may have someone from Manitoba getting in touch with Elio Motors...... we can only hope for this at this point.
I think Canada will have autocycle rules and regs in place for their own manufactured enclosed three wheeler, the Solo, and Elio will advantage from those regulations when it reaches production and delivers the first Canadian reservationist Elio.

Top Bottom