• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

How Big Is Your Butt? And Will It Fit The Elio Seat?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio driver's seat is 20.6 inches wide. The average economy seat in either a Boeing 737 or an Airbus 320 is 17.4 inches. Premium seating averages 20.45 inches wide for each of these aircraft.

This means that if you butt fits into an airline seat, it will be comfy in the Elio. Width of the rear passenger seat is 25.3 inches, and you're moving into deluxe first class territory.

Looking at the legroom, the Elio driver gets 42.7 inches, and the rear passenger gets a tighter 33.1 inches. That's bigger than the economy seat pitch (not identical to legroom, but fairly close), and the Elio driver gets more legroom than most first class air travelers.

My conclusion: Elio drivers are definitely in great shape for butt and leg room (and shoulder room, too). Rear seat passengers get tremendous seat width and OK legroom.

What's your opinion?

(Source: Airline Reporter, http://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/11/who-has-wider-seats-airbus-a320-or-boeing-737/ ) and Seatguru.com ( http://www.seatguru.com/charts/longhaul_economy.php )

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The seat width only matters if the Car width is also the same. My motorcycle only has a 15" wide seat as do most motorcycles yet I see 300++ pound people driving them fine. An airplane seat is not a relevant comparison to automotive seating either since they are built with steal dividers to keep you seatbelt extendor neighbors in thier zone. I would bet if you look at the seat width of any compact class car the Elio will be no issue or even a bonus in size.
In practice, when I sat in the P4 this summer, I found the cabin cozy but not cramped with plenty of adjustment range for the seat. The seat itself I found very comfortable. The car wasn't greatly wider than the seat, but enough so you could reach things and move around a bit. It did have a very aircraft-cabin feel to it.

My butt's average to smallish. However, my plus size pal Bob Hesch (6'3", about 275 pounds) found that there was plenty of room.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
what's all the talk- aren't they Ford Mustang seats??
When I sat in the Elio, the best comparison I can think of is being in a large firm arm chair- the L/R arm rests fit me well, without feeling at all cramped, To me, it is the most comfortable driving position (second place goest to my H.D. V-Rod - only bike I ever felt "in it" then on it) the Elio feels as cool inside as it looks out!!
On the other side, although the buzz that tall folks fit in the rear seat comfortably- I find hard to believe- it felt more like a middle row of a Spirit Airlines seat! Yea you "fit", but you lose circulation in your legs!!

SandyCWV

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
First hand experience. I am 5'10", inseam is 34". Weight is NYB, but you can see me in the avatar. :) Seat fit my butt just fine. I did stretch out my legs and found plenty of room. There was plenty of elbow room inside. I forgot to lower the seat from where it was raised for the shorter people before me, but I still had plenty of head room. Short story -- don't worry about it, the design plan is GREAT!

Edit: or I guess I should say plenty GREAT! LOL!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For those that will have a rear seat occupant on long road trips invest in a ROHO Airhawk cushion which will keep your butt and back very comfy and maintain circulation. Sized to fit a variety of butts. Many oertheroad truckers use them as do I in the driver's seat of all my vehicles even for short commutes.
image.jpg

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For those that will have a rear seat occupant on long road trips invest in a ROHO Airhawk cushion which will keep your butt and back very comfy and maintain circulation. Sized to fit a variety of butts. Many oertheroad truckers use them as do I in the driver's seat of all my vehicles even for short commutes.
View attachment 3840

and wheelchair users, the ones I'm familiar with have air valve control

rdoearth

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Really really big and tall people seem to fit the front.
Pretty tall people fit in the back.

I must have a long back, since I am only 6 feet tall yet my head hits the roof and have to bend my neck a bit. The extra two inches we will gain as reported should take care of that. But hey, I am a solo driver and rarely will I have a passenger, so why do I care?

Top Bottom