• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Think I Want To Be A Trucker....

champsman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
sharp looking rig .... it will be interesting to see how widely they are accepted in the market

Not for a very long time.....not enough miles between charges.....for OTR driving not practical at this time,.. from terminal to terminal yes IF not over 5 hrs each way and charging at each terminal.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the Tesla truck is every thing they claim, I can't imagine it wouldn't be a success. Actually, it sounds to me like the greatest advance in freight hauling since the rail road. A true milestone. :thumb:

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I want to see the spy footage of the Elio testing. It would stick out because of the shape and only one rear wheel.
"only one rear wheel". We're talking about a Tesla truck, not an Elio truck. If you look at the video posted above you'll see it has four rear wheels (and 4 motors). And as to not enough miles between charges. Did you guys even look at the video before making negative comments? :frusty:

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thing is, you can't depend on a set travel time in trucking. NEVER works that way.
Sh*t always happens. And that heater is going to have to be going in the dead of winter...
Whether you're moving, stuck in gridlock or in the sleeper.

The infrastructure needs to be there.
There needs to be fast charging outlets in every truck stop.
It's tough enough just playing with your 10 hour legal driving window.
And trying to find a parking spot at night when you're out of hours.
The I-95 corridor comes to mind. Especially Virginia.

Last edited:

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thing is, you can't depend on a set travel time in trucking. NEVER works that way.
Sh*t always happens. And that heater is going to have to be going in the dead of winter...
Whether you're moving, stuck in gridlock or in the sleeper.

The infrastructure needs to be there.
There needs to be fast charging outlets in every truck stop.
It's tough enough just playing with your 10 hour legal driving window.
And trying to find a parking spot at night when you're out of hours.
The I-95 corridor comes to mind. Especially Virginia.

The current Tesla semi does not have a sleeper cab variant. The semi isn't designed for OTR work, it's a hub-to-hub freight service with a practical recharge time of around 30 min.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The current Tesla semi does not have a sleeper cab variant. The semi isn't designed for OTR work, it's a hub-to-hub freight service with a practical recharge time of around 30 min.
In our area we are full of distribution warehouses. This is because in PA it's cheaper to have them here as opposed to NJ and there's I-78 that goes directly to Newark, NJ to the shipping docks. We have tons of truck traffic with containers. We also have a bunch of trucks that ship the garbage from NYC to PA. A typical truck will have a 150-200 mile round trip (I know a guy who does that trip a few times a day). I could easily see the Tesla truck would be perfect for that. The Tesla should be able to do a single round trip without recharging. We are getting a brand new Wal-Mart Mega distribution center and Fed Ex hub here too. So that means, more trucks.

Top Bottom