• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I'll Miss My Metro Xfi

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
xfi motor? It has a new design engine from IAV in it. What's a xfi?

The xfi is the best MPG model Metro. The engines are the same except a few minor changes. There is only 1 compression ring. Not the usual 2. I really don't think this did much for MPGs. The big difference is the the Camshaft on that engine has sharper lobes which changed the torque curve. It moved it lower which is way better for a gutless engine.

Another difference is there is a slightly different tune on the ecu. From what I noticed it didn't make much of a difference.

The last main difference was the gear ratio in the transmission. The final drive in the xfi was 3.79 vs 4.10 or 4.39 in the 3 cylinders. The Cam and transmission were the main improvements.

Injunjoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know Horn from the Geo Metro Forum where I first learned about the Elio. I do not go there much because of the big frog in the little pond syndrome. I plan to drive my 1990 four door auto Geo until I get my Elio. Go Elio!!

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know Horn from the Geo Metro Forum where I first learned about the Elio. I do not go there much because of the big frog in the little pond syndrome. I plan to drive my 1990 four door auto Geo until I get my Elio. Go Elio!!

I want to drive my Geo until the Elio gets delivered. I have had good luck until recently though. I have an intermittent fuel pump issue. It will run fine then I get a missing dash light and it will not run. If I go to start the engine and the shift light doesn't come on, it won't start. I cycle the key a few times until the shift light comes on. If it comes on I continue to the start position where the starter engages and the Geo starts right up. Still working on it.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Big frog in the little pond syndrome?

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I want to drive my Geo until the Elio gets delivered. I have had good luck until recently though. I have an intermittent fuel pump issue. It will run fine then I get a missing dash light and it will not run. If I go to start the engine and the shift light doesn't come on, it won't start. I cycle the key a few times until the shift light comes on. If it comes on I continue to the start position where the starter engages and the Geo starts right up. Still working on it.

Sounds electrical to me. Possibly ignition if you have to cycle the key a few times.

Usually a fuel pump on those will go completely out or make the car sputter.

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sounds electrical to me. Possibly ignition if you have to cycle the key a few times.

Usually a fuel pump on those will go completely out or make the car sputter.

I agree, I have had 2 fuel pump failures in the 110,000 miles I have driven the car and it was nothing like this issue. I have replaced the fuel pump and fuel injection relay's with no improvement. I am looking at the ignition switch next if I can find one. I am finding parts harder to locate for everything on the Metro except for engine parts, which are still plentiful.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ebay and rock auto. Double check wire connections and grounds.

I don't have a metro anymore. Parts are getting harder.

What sucks is when electrical issues are on and off. I'm chasing electrical issue on my 4wheeler.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, I have had 2 fuel pump failures in the 110,000 miles I have driven the car and it was nothing like this issue. I have replaced the fuel pump and fuel injection relay's with no improvement. I am looking at the ignition switch next if I can find one. I am finding parts harder to locate for everything on the Metro except for engine parts, which are still plentiful.
For hard to find parts Rock Auto and they have parts for any car ever built I think and their prices are reasonable.

My best guess on your problem, possibly a bad ground to your ignition switch.
Next guess, bad or worn out contacts in the ignition switch.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom