• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I'm Buying/leasing A Kia Niro.

Ralphe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As i pass my 80th birthday, I tire of my old car. Need something exciting to drive, before they take away my license, and, 50 MPG ain't bad. My son can have my Elio, if ever. My grandson can have the other one. I hope Hyundai/Kia still offer the "Walkaway"...Program.
gallery_niro_2017_exterior_swp--kia-1280x-jpg.jpg

BY, and, Thanks to: Craig, and, (Zelio,r.i.p.) It was fun for awhile!

I'm, RALPHE BIRKETT,
#2821, and others...

MrWhsprs

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
As i pass my 80th birthday, I tire of my old car. Need something exciting to drive, before they take away my license, and, 50 MPG ain't bad.

I hope you'll be able to enjoy the new vehicle for many years, and that you'll stay active here and let us know how the Niro is doing. What I've read of it so far makes me think my family may want to get a used one in 3 to 4 years.

jevans64

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I couldn't wait on Elio to get a 2nd car either and bought a Honda Fit to share the commute duties with my 13-year-old ride, which is becoming a maintenance headache. Still going to get the Elio and get rid of the old car when that day comes. I'm only interested in either a traditional ICE or a full electric with 400 mile range. A hybrid is just too complicated... with maintenance of both an ICE and electric drive-train.

ThreeWheelBurnin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I kind of jumped on that train about year ago when I bought my 2013 Volt. I use it almost exclusively for commuting, and after a year, I've put on 10,500 miles, but only used 44 gallons of gas -- 239 mpg! Yes, electricity isn't free, but I've done the math, and it works out to about 2.5 - 3 cents/mi. Maintenance? What maintenance? :-) I've replaced the ICE oil and put a new set of tires on it, but that's it so far.

That Kia Niro looks like a great vehicle to replace my wife's aging car. I'd like to try one out. She'd really benefit from having a hybrid, but I know she doesn't have the wherewithal to deal with a plug-in hybrid, so a straight-up hybrid would be great. Let us know what you think of the Niro.

On the subject of fuel economy, I just rented a Nissan Altima for a 1000 mile road trip, and I'm amazed that a car of that size with a conventional ICE was able to pull down MPG numbers of 36-40mpg with four passengers and a trunk full of stuff, flying down I-10 at 75-85mph the whole way. Government fuel economy standards do have an upside, right? :-)

TheAsterisk!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Heh.
I just noticed, at the Mitsubishi dealership across the major intersection right outside my apartment, they've put up a big banner advertising 2016 Mirages on sale for $8900 (starting). Probably just with their CVT (which I don't like for longevity), not the manual (which I'd prefer, between those two), but that's a price to catch your eye, if all you're after is a basic conveyance appliance, which is pretty much all the Mirage is meant to be, anyway.

I've got my own little clown car fixed, now, though, after chasing what turned out to be a simple (but elusive) electrical fault. I'll see how long that one goes on before it becomes unmanageable.

Last edited:

MrWhsprs

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm only interested in either a traditional ICE or a full electric with 400 mile range. A hybrid is just too complicated... with maintenance of both an ICE and electric drive-train.

I'm curious what maintenance of an electric drivetrain you are referring to?

For our old 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid the only maintenance exclusively specific to the hybrid system that I can think of off the top of my head, would be related to the Motor Electronics having its own coolant loop. So, checking the coolant level by glancing at the translucent coolant reservoir tank, having that flushed if needed. On the other hand, with the regenerative braking system on a hybrid the traditional friction brakes get very little use, so pads and rotors generally wear much more slowly than on a traditional ICE vehicle, so that potentially *saves* brake maintenance costs.

Top Bottom