• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Info On Ga Motorcycle License And Helmet Requirement

BeerBrewer

Elio Fan
Reaction score
At goofyone's suggestion, I dropped a note to Joel Sheltrown, Elio's VP of Gov't Affairs, asking if he knew Georgia's position on whether a MC license will be required here. I got an immediate response, which seems to be good news. Here 'tis:

I believe the language in GA already exempts for M license through a technicality in language. That said, DPS employee working the issue said: “Interesting. You may be right” I am asking for a determination on that, but at any rate, GA wants to make the change to accommodate the exemption. We already have a helmet exemption in statute. We will get it done before production!. If not, I will rely on the current statute which seems perfectly clear to me!

Hope that helps!

Sincerely,

Joel

LINDA PATELSKI

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few States working on the "Autocycle" legislation. West Virginia had not passed Senate Bill 30 before they adjourned. But if they persist at the opening the bill sounds very promising for the other states that want to follow suit. Many times it is easier to contact your home state with bills that have already passed. This way they do not get caught up in writing/wording and just use the bill as a template.

http://legiscan.com/WV/bill/SB30/2014

A BILL to amend and reenact §17B-2-7b of the Code of West Virginia, 1931, as amended; and to amend and reenact §17C-15-44 of said code, all relating to creating an exemption for autocycles, which are enclosed three-wheel motorcycles that are equipped with safety belts, a rollbar, a windshield, wipers and a steering wheel; creating an autocycle exemption from motorcycle examination, licensing and endorsement requirements, and allowing a person with a valid driver's license to operate an autocycle; creating an autocycle exemption from helmet and certain other safety requirements; and defining “autocycle”.

AAMVA has a "Best Practices for regulation of 3-wheel vehicles" I do not understand why the states don't use this as a template.

Last edited:

GaPuddles

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the autocycle bill....it would clarify things a bit. I have a M class so I'm not worried about that part but sure didn't want to wear a helmet. My sister is also on the reserve and does not have a M Class so she was sweating it for a bit. One of the big things on the DMV's definition of a motorcycle was the mention of 2 or 3 wheels with a saddle seat. No saddling up in the Elio ...LOL.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the autocycle bill....it would clarify things a bit. I have a M class so I'm not worried about that part but sure didn't want to wear a helmet. My sister is also on the reserve and does not have a M Class so she was sweating it for a bit. One of the big things on the DMV's definition of a motorcycle was the mention of 2 or 3 wheels with a saddle seat. No saddling up in the Elio ...LOL.

I agree that a autocycle bill would definitely help make things as clear as possible. I also already have an M license however I know most people do not and it would be much better if it were not necessary.

Luckily as Joel mentioned the GA helmet law already has a very clear helmet exemption for enclosed cabs so we are good there.
O.C.G.A. 40-6-315(c) This Code section shall not apply to persons riding within an enclosed cab or motorized cart. This Code section shall not apply to a person operating a three-wheeled motorcycle used only for agricultural purposes.

The legal GA definition of a motorcycle reads 'seat or saddle' which would appear to include the Elio however what I believe Joel is using to to help us is the fact that GA has a very specific definition for the 'rider' part of the definition. The defined way you 'ride' a motorcycle is 'sitting astride the seat, facing forward, with one leg on either side of the motorcycle'.
O.C.G.A. 40-1-1(29) - "Motorcycle" means every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor, all-terrain vehicle, and moped.
40-6-311(b) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle only while sitting astride the seat, facing forward, with one leg on either side of the motorcycle.

We will definitely keep in touch with Joel and find out what the GA DDS determines and if we need to push for a bill in the spring I am sure we can work with him and our local representatives to get it done.

Last edited:

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here in UK I understand that things are a little easier. The legislation already exists for vehicles like the Elio, which will classed as a bodied tricycle.
Either a full motorcycle licence OR a full car licence will enable folks to drive the Elio,
No helmet required, but seat belts must be worn.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Here in UK I understand that things are a little easier. The legislation already exists for vehicles like the Elio, which will classed as a bodied tricycle.
Either a full motorcycle licence OR a full car licence will enable folks to drive the Elio,
No helmet required, but seat belts must be worn.

If only it were that easy here. The national government says that any motorized road vehicle with fewer than four wheels is a motorcycle, must comply with motorcycle safety regulations, and will be issued a motorcycle VIN number.
The national government however does not regulate vehicle registration, vehicle insurance, driver licensing, or helmet requirements as those are up to each of the 50 individual states to determine.

Last edited:

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem here will be making it road legal. As I've said before, I don't think the latest design would pass the MSVA test requirements because the headlights are laterally too far inboard. The earlier silver car, with the more widely spaced lights in side pods probably would pass the inspection, apart from the front fenders / mudguards, which will need wider radiussed edges, not difficult to change.

But I also note there are no indicators or screen wiper, which are also must-have items (yes I know it's only a prototype).

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
There are a few States working on the "Autocycle" legislation. West Virginia has not passed Senate Bill 30 before they adjourned. But if they persist at the opening the bill sounds very promising for the other states that want to follow suit. Many times it is easier to contact your home state with bills that have already passed. This way they do not get caught up in writing/wording and just use the bill as a template.

http://legiscan.com/WV/bill/SB30/2014

A BILL to amend and reenact §17B-2-7b of the Code of West Virginia, 1931, as amended; and to amend and reenact §17C-15-44 of said code, all relating to creating an exemption for autocycles, which are enclosed three-wheel motorcycles that are equipped with safety belts, a rollbar, a windshield, wipers and a steering wheel; creating an autocycle exemption from motorcycle examination, licensing and endorsement requirements, and allowing a person with a valid driver's license to operate an autocycle; creating an autocycle exemption from helmet and certain other safety requirements; and defining “autocycle”.

AAMVA has a "Best Practices for regulation of 3-wheel vehicles" I do not understand why the states don't use this as a template.

Linda, I've been in email contact with my KS state representative, he plans to submit a bill next session, starts in January, to remove the need for a M license in KS. The above was too convenient to pass up, so I copied and pasted into an email and sent that to my state rep. He hadn't heard from me in about 2 months, so why not. Thanks!

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem here will be making it road legal. As I've said before, I don't think the latest design would pass the MSVA test requirements because the headlights are laterally too far inboard. The earlier silver car, with the more widely spaced lights in side pods probably would pass the inspection, apart from the front fenders / mudguards, which will need wider radiussed edges, not difficult to change.

But I also note there are no indicators or screen wiper, which are also must-have items (yes I know it's only a prototype).

I do believe P4 shows indicators and while I haven't actually put a tape measure to it, looks like the headlights are about as far apart as my Jeep Wrangler. Elio has listed wipers too, though I can't remember where I read it. Sidepods, while pretty cool looking, adds a bunch more drag. Let's all keep in mind that the more we try to add to our Elio, the more we water down the premise that grabbed us in the first place.

Top Bottom