• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

It's A Car In Ohio

Buckeyejake

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey fellow buckeyes. I contacted our state Bureau of Motor Vehicles a couple of weeks ago in regards to the Elio. I ask for their option if the Elio would be registered and titled as a car or motorcycle in the state when it came out.

I received notification that the state will register and title the Elio as a car. This information was passed on to me as a voice mail by the state Department of Motor Vehicles. I will be asking for a written confirmation of this decision.

The funny thing. They had not seen or heard of the Elio. They researched the Elio online and made their ruling.

Now I'm going to contact the state insurance department on motor vehicles and see what they have to say.

Last edited:

Mack Bailey

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Fortunately I am set either way since I have had a Motorcycle endorsement for many years. Might be cheaper to insure as an MC, but that would probably be a pain with the helmet requirement for new riders. I do have a couple of DOT certified half shell helmets if I were forced to wear one. How does that work if you are riding out of your home state with helmet requirements on "regular" motorcycles anyway? Do you have to carry one to wear if you are passing through a state with a helmet requirement even if you are not required to wear one in your home state?

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fortunately I am set either way since I have had a Motorcycle endorsement for many years. Might be cheaper to insure as an MC, but that would probably be a pain with the helmet requirement for new riders. I do have a couple of DOT certified half shell helmets if I were forced to wear one. How does that work if you are riding out of your home state with helmet requirements on "regular" motorcycles anyway? Do you have to carry one to wear if you are passing through a state with a helmet requirement even if you are not required to wear one in your home state?
Yep...you better have a Helmet in a state that requires one or you will be cited for no helmet, possibly no drivers license because you are violating the law in that state and therfore your motorcycle endorsement ,is not Valid. Hence the no OL ticket. Double D in Ohio

Reaction score
That would be interesting legally. If your licensed for it and everything is legal in your state you should be covered when crossing other states. Usually it's a respected reciprocated curtsy..... But you never know .
NEOHIO? Please join us in the Ohio owner group. We're planning a getting together at cedar point next fall.

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That would be interesting legally. If your licensed for it and everything is legal in your state you should be covered when crossing other states. Usually it's a respected reciprocated curtsy..... But you never know .
If you ride a motorcycle in a helmet law state without a helmet you are violating the law of that state. There is no reciprocity on Helmet laws unless it just came about.....It is hard enough to get reciprocity on CCW permits. I'm a retired LEO. but I've been out 10 years.....Unless law is set federally you are going to have to wear a helmet in states that require a helmet. You can check with the State Patrol or state Police where you plan to ride. If we come up with the new term " Autocycle" as AZ is proposing then some of the states that now require a helmet may adopt that definition.Double D.

Top Bottom