• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Kandi Electric

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now this one really has my attention for a few reasons. First it's Chinese. We've been warned about Chinese cars flooding in and killing what's left of Detroit.

Second, it has four wheels. Elio went with three for vague reasons but most of us assumed it was to bypass automotive safety regulations. Kandi didn't need to bypass them.

Third, it's a low price Tesla alternative that is almost a normal car.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/08/27/kandi-electric-car-coming-to-america/
kandi2.jpg

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure which I like better. The Solo is prettier in some ways and the Kandi exudes cheapness. The Kandi is more traditional though and from some angles the Solo literally looks unfinished.

Clipboard.jpg

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Shorter vehicles typically have a rougher ride. Usually the driver is sitting midway between the front and back wheels. This allows the vehicle to basically pivot below the driver, reducing some bumps, and the longer it is the less it pivots also reducing bumps. The Elio should have a much smoother ride than the Kandi or the Solo. I need to drive highway most the time and think the Elio would be my choice. If only it was available.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if they are going to upgrade the specs before releasing them in the US? I know the article said they were making changes for the US market, just wondering if their website reflects the changes already?

The Kandi has a top speed of 65, so completely wrung out it will still be barely going the speed limit on our highways. Since my main commute is I-35 which has a 70 MPH speed limit, even wrung out I would still be running 10 MPH slower than everyone else. Plus their website says a 75 mile range, bleh: http://kandiev.com/product/index.php?id=25

The EX3 looks more capable with a 188 mile range and a top speed of 75 MPH, I wonder how much range you really get when traveling at/near the top speed? But has a base price of $30k, so now you are squarely in existing EV territory like the Leaf and Soul. Known brands vs and unknown (in the US) brand. http://www.kandiev.com/product/index.php?id=23

I wish them the best of luck, though! More affordable EV options are very welcome.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder what happens if i buy one and 2 weeks later it breaks down. Who fixes it? This is the same for the FUV and Solo. It's super exciting to see these new EV's but something like the FUV is not very FUV if it breaks down and there's nobody to work on it.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now this one really has my attention for a few reasons. First it's Chinese. We've been warned about Chinese cars flooding in and killing what's left of Detroit.

Second, it has four wheels. Elio went with three for vague reasons but most of us assumed it was to bypass automotive safety regulations. Kandi didn't need to bypass them.

Third, it's a low price Tesla alternative that is almost a normal car.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/08/27/kandi-electric-car-coming-to-america/View attachment 23353

I don't think it's a Tesla alternative as they are in completely different segments. Honestly, I don't think it's an alternative for any of the EVs currently available in the US, aside from maybe the SMART...and even that's pushing it.

It'll be interesting to see what its EPA range comes out to be, and NHTSA crash test ratings.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I went to the website and took a quick look. (Thanks for the link.)

Right off the bat - I couldn’t buy/drive it for one reason. The front end has the ultimate smiley face. Put the plastic eyelashes around the headlights and it would look like it came right out of the movie “Cars”. It’s kind of hard to take the vehicle serious - then again, I’m old. Younger folks might love the smile?

Top Bottom