• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Key?

ElioJoe

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question about the ignition key. I have had poor experiences with the dreaded "computer chip" key that dealers require for their cars that force you to buy one at the dealership in excess of $50 per key. I know it's a "security feature", but I think it's also a money making gimic!! I hope the Elio has a normal key that you can get a copy made anywhere you please without it costing a fortune. I appreciate any thoughts on this subject. :)

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I kind of like the idea of some kind of Android App. I carry my phone with me all the time so it would be cool to have it Bluetooth enabled so when I get close to the car, it unlocks. Then maybe just a push button start when the correct Bluetooth phone is in range. I haven't thought through this much, so I'm sure I'll get blasted by more logical and smarter people than me, but I just thought something like this would be pretty cool!

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a question about the ignition key. I have had poor experiences with the dreaded "computer chip" key that dealers require for their cars that force you to buy one at the dealership in excess of $50 per key. I know it's a "security feature", but I think it's also a money making gimic!! I hope the Elio has a normal key that you can get a copy made anywhere you please without it costing a fortune. I appreciate any thoughts on this subject. :)
Brings to mind the time I dropped the keys to my Caddy in the snow. That little resistor in the key got wet and it wouldn't start until the key was dry. I doubt you will see that on an Elio.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I kind of like the idea of some kind of Android App. I carry my phone with me all the time so it would be cool to have it Bluetooth enabled so when I get close to the car, it unlocks. Then maybe just a push button start when the correct Bluetooth phone is in range. I haven't thought through this much, so I'm sure I'll get blasted by more logical and smarter people than me, but I just thought something like this would be pretty cool!
Might be cool, but in today's age of hacking everything related to tech....wouldn't it leave you more open to the theft of your car?

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping for keyless ignition. Yes, it's "computer chip", but no more fumbling for the keys, and I like the idea of the vehicle unlocking as I approach and locking automatically as I walk away.

Joe, the "computer chip" keys have contributed greatly to the dramatic drop in car thefts over the last 20 years. I don't want my Elio stolen. They are also generally not hard to program yourself, depending on the car make and how many programmed keys you already have (usually need two). Replacement keys are readily available from feeBay and other sources for far less than a dealer charges.

No "smart" phone app, please. I don't want my ability to get home dictated by the miserable battery life of my phone.

ElioJoe

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand that we don't want our Elio's stolen, however if a theft really wants it, they will find a way no matter what. :/

I believe that a normal key would line up with Paul Elio's vision of "basic" dependable transportation. However, with that said it also should be available for an "upgrade extra" all the bells and whistles and apps and automated options that anyone is willing to pay for. :)

ElioJoe

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brings to mind the time I dropped the keys to my Caddy in the snow. That little resistor in the key got wet and it wouldn't start until the key was dry. I doubt you will see that on an Elio.
Yeah, my son got stranded because the chip in his Taurus key decided to stop working. His fiancé had to bring her key to him so he could come home. There's a fine line between theft "deterrent" and "pain in the butt for the honest owner who just wants to drive his car"! :)

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My vote is for a simple key/remote-in-one combo like my Subaru has.
DW7r6y2.jpg

I put a keypad on the front door of my house, so the only key I carry on a regular day is my car key, in the 'fob/watch pocket' of my pants (no keyring).

If it's a key/fob combo
tpMTWEVs.jpg

or even a flip key
RwgwlUCs.jpg

I'm going to be sad.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From a security standpoint, simple is good.
This is likely not going to be a highly targeted vehicle as far as thefts go unless there is a easily exploited security flaw.
Given the timeframe they're working with, I wouldn't do anything new or 'fancy'.

If people want to steal things, they'll probably break a window.
If they don't do that, it'll be a slim jim or wedge.
People don't pick locks - 99% of the time.
As a lockpicking enthusiast, it's just not fast enough and requires too much finesse.
I'd be more concerned about first run door trim or fit not being secured in such a way that it makes it easy to wedge open or something of that sort.

If we're talking about theft, this car is not going to be worth the time unless it's unusually easy to steal. Again, some simple overlooked flaw in an new undertested system.

Keep it simple and there shouldn't be any problems in my mind.

Edit: Another thing to keep in mind is safety. I want the door lock mechansim to be as simple as possible (while being secure) because there is only 1 door. If you get in an accident from ANY direction, the vehicle may crumple in such a way that the door gets pinched in its frame. If that happens, you can't just go out a different door, you're headed for a window (which are powered, and may not still be functional). I don't want an over engineered locking mechanism to potentially further complicate the issue of escaping after an accident.

Last edited:
Top Bottom