• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Kor Ecologic Urbee

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is a neat design (in my opinion) called Urbee. It is by KOR Ecologic. It seems there is no new news on it since 2013; perhaps abandoned? I really like the design.

Urbee Car - Facebook. KOR Ecologic web site.

img_9161.jpg

I like the futuristic design of it.

slide099.jpg

The interior seems simple yet elegant.

slide090.jpg

I posted on their Facebook page that I think it could be available as plans or as a kit car; perhaps it could happen if their plans to manufacture a whole car does not come about. I have posted on their page but I have not received a reply.

urbee-lineup-5.jpg

It is sad to see so many cool things that get started but never go anywhere. I think the Urbee might one of those but one can hope or dream it coming about.

I did a search to see if this was posted before but nothing comes up with the result (perhaps faulty search on my part?).

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the project has been abandoned. I have posted ideas (why they should have front wheels steering and rear wheel drive - safety issues, using air less tires to save weight, have it as a kit car or as plans, possible use of other power sources, selling models of the car, making available to people files to either 3D print the full size one or a model of one, etc.) on their Facebook page ( Urbee Car Community ) but there is no response and my post seems to be gone when I check it again. Their main / home web site seems to be gone (I get a 'your connection is not private when I click on the link on their Facebook page).

I think it is a way cool compact car that went nowhere. I read that they were supposed to go cross country with one but I have not read if they actually did.
Truthout.

Kale University.
'Urbee, The Urban Car Of The Future By Jim Kor.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Like a lot of concepts by small or underfunded groups, they have interesting concepts, but most have not developed a good business plan or model to support it.

I personally, failed along those lines in fulfilment, even while I was intending to only make an example of the type. (and only then see if I could go further)
I feel I have a good excuse since my family issues have not been exactly normal or predictable, and affected what I personally could accomplish.

Perhaps Urbee were only trying to inspire others, peak investor interest, or (hopefully not) con some money.

And the other case is, the controversial parts of the design, might have become an embarrassment, and disqualified them getting serious support from those who know to research before they spend. Rear wheel steering is a no-go over 25mph and well known to formal automotive engineers. But not having any allocation for wiper-blades is too. At best it is a Velomobile level of capability, and maybe those are not as interesting as one might think.

By comparison; I DID in-fact write a letter to Aptera, telling them about the pitfalls of rear-wheel-drive in a tadpole trike and that experts know the difference. And I pointed out that the issue will come out sooner or later. 3 months later, Aptera had switched to front-wheel-drive. 3 months is a little fast given where they were to the public view, so I can't say for sure they did that with respect to my input. But it is good that they did so before it became an issue in the public sphere.

This issue worries me concerning the Sparrow, and also the Electra-Mecannica Solo. So I would never drive them 70mph in the rain. And never at all in snow. The first Sparrow was in California I think , so OK, but the Solo is in Canada, they have no excuse, they should know the pitfalls.
(Edited: Add the Gizmo-Nevco, HMV-Freeway, GL88-Egg and the Cree-Sam to the list. Even my favorite; Messerschmitt Kr200, not 50mph in the snow, Please!)
(Myers EV now? in Ohio? their tandem/ 4 wheeler is $19k)

Last edited:

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Like a lot of concepts by small or underfunded groups, they have interesting concepts, but most have not developed a good business plan or model to support it.
I have seen some like that. they have cool designs but don't seem to go anywhere with them. There was the Corbin Motors Merlin. It was really cool. They had designs for future vehicles that were never made.
Corbin Concept Vehicles.
fortunately their web page is still there.

There is a website and book called Maximum Mini which many cars using the Mini Cooper as the basis. There was so many cool cars that have come and gone. Maximum Mini - website / blog. Maximum Mini book (I got the e-book version - Amazon).

With the Urbee car, it seems that they suddenly abandoned it. Their Facebook page is still up but no one seems to respond to my posts there.
Urbee Car Community.

With the designs / plans for R Q Riley vehicles, I can understand why it has gone. the founder - Robert Q Riley - had passed away. the web site is gone but not their Facebook page. there were plans for vehicles similar to the Elio - three wheel cars (both trike and reverse trike as well as four wheel cars and other vehicles). They had updated the Tri-Muter not long ago. I just wish the descendants would make those plans available in the future. I think the Tri-Magnum and the XR3 was really cool.
Robert Q Riley Enterprises.

unpluggedone

Reaction score
I met Mr. Jim Kor the founder of URBEE and have seen the car. He had grand plans but got hung up on his 3 wheel design and then spent too much time in the 3D body panel process. He never really planned on taking it to market, rather he was a looking for a fun end of career project that he and his buddies could say they did. KOR Logic to my knowledge still exists

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Popular Mechanics.
medium.jpg

3D Print.
I have read of article that indicated rear wheel steer was unstable. I think they should have steered with the front wheels and powered the single back wheel.

I think it would be cool if it was released in plans so others could make it and/or improve it.

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom