• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legislative News

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
after rereading the article, decided to send an email to the author so as to point out a mistake in the article :

Bruce ...

thanks for the article about the pending Autocycle Legislation .... as a person who is very interested in Elio Motors, who grew up in Charlotte and who still reads the N&O often, I was very pleased to see the coverage given .... however, there is an error in that article that needs to be address .... it says

"The company also needs autocycle-friendly laws so customers in North Carolina won’t be scared away by ill-fitting regulation, a spokesman said. Autocycle laws are on the books in six states and pending in at least a dozen more."

the fact is, NC is one of only 6 states that has already passed legislation in this area ... further, active legislative efforts are active in all 6 of them .... there is a big difference in laws being on the books in 6 states (as stated in the article) and the fact that they are on the books in all but 6 states .... for your info

here is a link to accurate, up to date info on the legislative efforts going on around the country ... thanks again for your coverage

Jim

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Pretty good article, I found it here:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article11952242.html

Good job on emailing the author.

The article had some good info in it, and then becomes entertaining at times. "Just as the unicorn merges real-life qualities of horse and narwhal, this autocycle creature is not entirely imaginary." I'm not entirely picking up what he's putting down there, but it did make me smile.

“It almost sounds like the law that North Carolina is considering is designed more around that particular vehicle (the Elio) than anything that’s actually on the market,” said Lucretia Wolfcale, co-owner of Action Motor Sports in Unionville, Va., Tanom’s (Tanom Motors, who makes the pricey reverse trike The Invader) sole retail outlet."

Yeah....... so?! lol

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
update :

I got a fairly quick reply from the author of the article ...

"Jim:
NC is one of a handful of states requiring helmets for all riders of vehicles classified as motorcycles, and where this classification includes enclosed 3-wheelers. So if Elio ever actually manufactures a vehicle, is rider will have to wear a helmet in NC, under current law.

But six states have changed their laws to include legal definitions of autocycles. NC is among others considering similar laws. That's what my story said. My source for this number is also the source of your web page, Elio.

Thanks for your note.
Bruce"

since he still didn't get the second part right I tried again :

sorry, the link I tried to send must not have worked .... this is the latest on legislation from Elio Motors

http://www.eliomotors.com/making-progress-legislative-update-21315/

I'll not try to send it as a link but you should be able to copy and paste it with no problem

it was put out on Feb 13 .... some of the state helmet laws cover children .... the link gives a pretty good list of the different laws

haven't had another response

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I have found that certain government emails delete links; they want to lessen the chance of getting infected with Malware.
You might want to do a copy and paste of that article.

Just a little IT FYI

Peter-Dave

Elio Fan
Reaction score
after rereading the article, decided to send an email to the author so as to point out a mistake in the article :
the fact is, NC is one of only 6 states that has already passed legislation in this area ... further, active legislative efforts are active in all 6 of them .... there is a big difference in laws being on the books in 6 states (as stated in the article) and the fact that they are on the books in all but 6 states .... for your info

I think the way you wrote that may have confused the poor reporter ever more.
You wrote: "NC is one of only 6 states that has already passed legislation in this area"
Didn't you mean: "NC is one of only 6 states that has NOT already passed legislation in this area"

But I think this falls down to the definition of the "on the books".
I think he meant "being worked on" as opposed to already being addressed in effective state law.

Top Bottom