• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Looking For Ty's Input

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Ty, interested in your input, for everyone's benefit. Here's an excerpt from one of the best Tech Talks, v22:

"Elio’s own history as an engineer spurred him to create a better system for fostering supplier relationships.
“As a budding engineer, I was able to show an OEM that they could save 1/2 lb. and $1.00 if they moved a bolt hole in the floor pan one inch.” Says Paul Elio. “They said, NO.” Reason being, the traditional design process compartmentalizes each component with rigid boundaries. Cost, mass and performance is optimized at the component level rather than the system level. “Elio Motors realizes that our customers don’t care how much we pay for a seat or the frame; they care about safety and how much does the vehicle cost.”
Through our Supplier Summits, Elio Motors optimizes on the system level rather than the component level. Sometimes the right answer is to pay $1.00 more for the seat because $3.00 can be saved on the frame if done this way."

Ty, can you expand on this, based on your experience and opinion? I'm really interested to get your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Brian1362

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ty, interested in your input, for everyone's benefit. Here's an excerpt from one of the best Tech Talks, v22:

"Elio’s own history as an engineer spurred him to create a better system for fostering supplier relationships.
“As a budding engineer, I was able to show an OEM that they could save 1/2 lb. and $1.00 if they moved a bolt hole in the floor pan one inch.” Says Paul Elio. “They said, NO.” Reason being, the traditional design process compartmentalizes each component with rigid boundaries. Cost, mass and performance is optimized at the component level rather than the system level. “Elio Motors realizes that our customers don’t care how much we pay for a seat or the frame; they care about safety and how much does the vehicle cost.”
Through our Supplier Summits, Elio Motors optimizes on the system level rather than the component level. Sometimes the right answer is to pay $1.00 more for the seat because $3.00 can be saved on the frame if done this way."

Ty, can you expand on this, based on your experience and opinion? I'm really interested to get your thoughts on this. Thanks!
You have GOT to be KIDDING. I have never heard of anything like this!

Top Bottom