• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Lr1721 An Act To Expand Classification Categories For Motor Vehicles In The State

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought I should start a thread devoted to our states bill to address the autocycle category.

As an update, I got word today from Andrew McLean who is the Co-Chair of Maine Legislatures Transportation Committee that he and Senator Collins (not Susan) the other Co-Chair, have spoken with Rep Golden about LR1721 and are looking forward to hearings and public input on the bill.

I would urge any other Mainer reading here to follow the development of the bill and, when ready offer suggestions to the Transportation Committee and be prepared for participating in public hearings. Things will be getting interesting!

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: Things will be getting interesting!

In AZ too: 6. Class M. A class M license is valid for operating a motorcycle, motor driven cycle or moped but is not necessary for operating an autocycle. For the purpose of licensing a driver, the department may endorse a class M license classification on a valid class A, B, C, D or G license.
Introduced Chamber:
Upper
Introduced Session:
Fifty-second Legislature - First Regular Session (2015)
Bill Summary:
Autocycles; class M license; exemption
Bill Subjects:
Not specified
Sponsors:
Judy M. Burges (R)*, Sylvia Tenney Allen (R), Nancy K. Barto (R), Andrea Dalessandro (D), Steve Farley (D), David Farnsworth (R), Eddie Farnsworth (R), Gail Griffin (R), Debbie Lesko (R), Robert Meza (D), Justin S. Pierce (R), Don Shooter (R), Bob Worsley (R)
Last Action:
Referred to Senate TRANS Committee (on 1/15/2015)
Passed:
No
Progress:
In Committee (on 1/15/2015)

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In AZ too: 6. Class M. A class M license is valid for operating a motorcycle, motor driven cycle or moped but is not necessary for operating an autocycle. For the purpose of licensing a driver, the department may endorse a class M license classification on a valid class A, B, C, D or G license.
Introduced Chamber:
Upper
Introduced Session:
Fifty-second Legislature - First Regular Session (2015)
Bill Summary:
Autocycles; class M license; exemption
Bill Subjects:
Not specified
Sponsors:
Judy M. Burges (R)*, Sylvia Tenney Allen (R), Nancy K. Barto (R), Andrea Dalessandro (D), Steve Farley (D), David Farnsworth (R), Eddie Farnsworth (R), Gail Griffin (R), Debbie Lesko (R), Robert Meza (D), Justin S. Pierce (R), Don Shooter (R), Bob Worsley (R)
Last Action:
Referred to Senate TRANS Committee (on 1/15/2015)
Passed:
No
Progress:
In Committee (on 1/15/2015)

Thanks, I went to the AZ legislature page to read up on some of the language being used in amending your statutes there. I can see where it exempts the license requirement, but what about the helmet requirement for children?

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Safety Helmet required for all operators and passengers under 18; Arizona Revised Statutes 28-964
..........:)

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/rights/State-Laws.aspx?stateid=3
That's a problem... Add two or three more pounds to anyones head in a quick stop and there's gonna be some pain.

collision-combo.jpg

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
28-964. Motorcycles; all-terrain vehicles; motor driven cycles; equipment; exception; prohibition

This subsection does not apply to electrically powered three wheeled vehicles or three wheeled vehicles on which the operator and passenger ride within an enclosed cab.
I didn't see that exemption, it's clear.

smiley-face-clip-art-thumbs-up-clipart-two-thumbs-up-happy-smiley-emoticon-512x512-eec6.png

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a meeting coming up with Representative Golden to assure there is clear language in Maine's LR1721 bill to exempt the need for motorcycle license to operate an Autocycle, and exempt helmets for children in an autocycle.

I also made contact with Representative Rykerson who introduced LD 278 to exempt cars and light trucks meeting CAFE standards to be exempted from Maine sales tax (it has a chance in the Legislature, though I suspect the Governor would not approve since he wants Maine to move away from an income tax base, and towards a consumption tax base, but who knows) to agree to include autocycle's like Elio in his bill! Possibly one more reason to buy an Elio if you live in Maine!

From: "Rykerson, Deane" <Deane.Rykerson@legislature.maine.gov>
Date: February 10, 2015 5:46:06 AM
To: John Painter <johnlpainter@me.com>
Subject: RE: LD278

yes, I will look into the Elio and include it in the bill.

Rep. Deane Rykerson, Maine House District 1
1 Salt Marsh Ln
Kittery Point 03905
www.rykersonforkittery.org

Top Bottom