• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Luggage Rack Vs Spare Tire Rack.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's just add some reality to the world shall we? If you want 84mpg there won't be a spare tire. The Elio guys are naturally trying to make this vehicle appeal to as many as possible, but it just won't be for everyone. It is purpose-built to get high mpg, and that means sacrifices. If you think you might die without a spare tire then it's just not the vehicle for you. There are run-flat tires and self-sealing goop you could use, but changing tire weight, rolling resistance, and other characteristics WILL probably have a negative effect on economy. A cell phone and AAA are probably your best bet, but there are still no garantees. While we're at it, do you know how many people are killed changing tires every year? statistically it's a VERY dangerous activity.

fpelsdca

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's just add some reality to the world shall we? If you want 84mpg there won't be a spare tire. The Elio guys are naturally trying to make this vehicle appeal to as many as possible, but it just won't be for everyone. It is purpose-built to get high mpg, and that means sacrifices. If you think you might die without a spare tire then it's just not the vehicle for you. There are run-flat tires and self-sealing goop you could use, but changing tire weight, rolling resistance, and other characteristics WILL probably have a negative effect on economy. A cell phone and AAA are probably your best bet, but there are still no garantees. While we're at it, do you know how many people are killed changing tires every year? statistically it's a VERY dangerous activity.
+1 to this.
Lets keep the Elio simple. If you are worried, carry a can of Slime in the car, find a storage spot where it will not be in the way (engine compartment corner, under seat, on right side of driver seet???). If you get a flat just use the slime as shown on the video in an earlier post. As soon as practical take the tire into a tire store to have the tire repaired and the slime washed out. No mess, no worry. Then go to Walmart and get another can. JMHO.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Slime is an marginal product. I've used it on bicycle tires with hit and miss results. It didn't always work and then when the proper repair is required (tire change) it's a complete mess. It's better suited to slow moving vehicles like tractors and some ATV's
Having worked in an auto tire shop, I've never been a fan of fix a flat either. Useful in emergencies only.

My logic is that they only mask the problem, and it most certainly is NOT a long term solution.

When stationary, the slime pools on the bottom of the tire and spreads around once the tire is in motion. It does NOT always spread evenly and can cause an imbalance.

Finally, it impedes acceleration. You will not notice in a gas powered vehicle, but I DID notice when I used it on my bike.

I actually prefer to plug the hole with the rubberized threads.
NEVER.... EVER use these close to, or on the sidewall.
These also require a considerable amount of elbow grease and would not be appropriate for those not mechanically inclined.

Final note:
Most drivers have no desire to change out a tire on a nice cool, sunny day at home, let alone next to a highway, in the rain at night.

My suggestion would be: Get a AAA membership and/or a HIGH quality plug kit with big thick reamer handles that can be used with gloves.

I have both (AND an air pump in my vehicle). And just patched a hole last week.

Cheers

CE

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Saw something this morning I figured worth adding to the spare tire discussion. A spare tire is pretty useless if you don't keep it inflated. Saw a woman changing a tire on the highway and the donut spare was obviously flat as well. I guess she wasn't as worried about destroying it's rim...

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No spare tire is the auto industry trend...........and was always true of motorcycles. Elio engineering is smart and will give us what we need in the $6800 base model with every possible option according to Fridays blog. I'm not sure Elio even has the space to store the spare tire we don't need.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No spare tire is the auto industry trend...........and was always true of motorcycles. Elio engineering is smart and will give us what we need in the $6800 base model with every possible option according to Fridays blog. I'm not sure Elio even has the space to store the spare tire we don't need.
One of our members will be driving his Elio to Alaska so is hoping to get a spare windshield to take along. He has made the trip before and said the roads are hell on windshields. Some how I don't think he is expecting to get 84mpg towing something that will safely carry a windshield. LOL ;-) Z

Top Bottom