• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mitsuishi 3 Cyl Cvt

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
84 miles per gallon is the bench mark. None of the existing motors are capable of achieving that. The Wright Brothers had the same problem. Have you not been informed that the Elio is "specia". LOL Just kidding. Paul was claiming a longer compression ratio for his motor. Or something like that. Aside from this being a success I hope Paul Gets the credit he deserves. The originator of the Volkswagen was relegated to obscurity because he did not fit in with the Nazi Regime. Sound familar? LOL

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
We receive a lot of questions about why not various drivetrains however there are a number of issues that make this choice much more difficult than most people realize. The two most obvious are offering the highest MPG available for the lowest total price possible. The less obvious requirements are that the drivetrain should be American Made and it must be available in sufficient quantities to meet EM's demands. That last one is the real kicker because there are not many engine manufacturers out there have the extra unused capacity to build over 100,000 extra engines per year and even fewer, if any, that are willing to commit that much manufacturing capacity to an unknown startup.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
NSTG8R --- Contrary to popular belief Ferdinand Porsche did not design the original VW bug but improved upon an earlier design by Josef Ganz who happened to be Jewish. Hitler saw the design in 1930 or so stole it and turned it over to Porsche. I believe Ganz was able to escape Nazi Germany but basically disappeared into obscurity.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
NSTG8R --- Contrary to popular belief Ferdinand Porsche did not design the original VW bug but improved upon an earlier design by Josef Ganz who happened to be Jewish. Hitler saw the design in 1930 or so stole it and turned it over to Porsche. I believe Ganz was able to escape Nazi Germany but basically disappeared into obscurity.

I stand corrected!:)

samwichse

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Porsche improved on the design Ganz made in the same way the Elio is an improvement in the design of the Can-Am Spyder.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardie-Ganz

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_97
According to the books Tatra - The Legacy of Hans Ledwinka and Car Wars, Adolf Hitler said of the Tatra 'this is the car for my roads'.[2][3]Ferdinand Porsche later admitted 'to have looked over Ledwinka's shoulders' while designing the Volkswagen.[2][4]
Tatra sued Porsche for damages, and Porsche was willing to settle.

The Tatra v570 was a rear engine, air cooled 4 cylinder boxer on a backbone chassis frame.

Top Bottom