• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V100 -

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio Motors Momentum v100

go.eliomotors.com_hs_fs_hubfs_RHS_20_002_.jpg_7a621d6dad7cb6a3235429f7405d6dc7.jpg

We have made an improvement to the Elio's exhaust routing. This change has led to several important improvements for our customers, as well as operational benefits. Click here to be taken to the Momentum.

*MSRP excludes destination/delivery charges, taxes, title, registration, and options/installation.

Certain statements in this email including, but not limited to, statements related to anticipated commencement of commercial production, targeted pricing and performance goals, and statements that otherwise relate to future periods are forward-looking statements. These statements involve risks and uncertainties, which are described in more detail in the Company’s periodic reports filed with the SEC, specifically the most recent reports which identify important risk factors that could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are made and based on information available to the Company on the date of this email. Elio Motors assumes no obligation to update the information in this email.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
PART 2

Mem100 1.jpg

For any vehicle that uses gasoline as a power source, the exhaust system is an integral component. It is important to engineer a system which allows the exhaust to travel the least restrictive route. In previous iterations of our vehicle, we used a tube frame and a sheet molded composite (SMC) body, which prohibited us from routing the exhaust to the rear of the vehicle. Doing so would have significantly reduced our ground clearance. The initial solution was to route the exhaust down the side of the vehicle, under a shroud.

There are many advantages, however, to routing the exhaust in the traditional manner through the rear of the vehicle. Once we made the improvement to a unibody frame, this more traditional exhaust route became a possibility. The unibody frame has created a natural path for the exhaust to exit out near the rear tire on the right side (non-door side). This change has led to several important improvements for our customers, as well as operational benefits.

Better Ride

By routing the exhaust to the rear of the vehicle, we were able to eliminate the exhaust cover which will reduce noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) of the ride. This ensures that Elio owners will enjoy a smoother and more peaceful ride.

Longer Ride

Enclosing the exhaust on the side of the vehicle could create a tremendous amount of heat. This level of heat can impact the parts surrounding the exhaust. Re-routing the exhaust enhances the longevity of the vehicle and its parts.

Better Looking Ride

When the exhaust was enclosed on the side of the vehicle, it necessitated a bulging cover on the side of the vehicle. Routing the exhaust to the rear of the vehicle removes this need, making for a more symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing Elio.

Fewer Parts and Less Weight

Keeping the Elio as light as possible is critical to achieving our mileage goals. Every pound counts, and removing the exhaust cover and changing the routing reduces the weight by approximately 1.5 pounds. This direction removes the need for additional fasteners, as well as rubber insulator between the exhaust cover and body panels.

Improved Manufacturability

This improvement is also important to the manufacturability of our vehicle and can save significant time in manufacturing. Routing the exhaust traditionally helps reduce the cycle time for assembly and removes a station at the plant. This allows for a simpler system for assembly of the exhaust. Also, the labor time needed for the exhaust cover can now be spent in other areas.

Easier Repairs

Making our vehicle easy to repair is important to us as well, and this change makes the vehicle even simpler to repair.

Mem 100 2.jpg

The changes we have made to the exhaust routing of the vehicle may seem simple, but when added up result in a smoother, more pleasing vehicle that is easier to repair and manufacture.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...Routing the exhaust traditionally helps reduce the cycle time for assembly and removes a station at the plant.

This was the most interesting part of the newsletter to me. With all the talk recently of engineering studies, it stood out to me that Elio has looked at this and apparently figured out that this exhaust routeing removes an entire station.

I really am glad for the bump being gone for-sure.

Let's see...
  • Elgin was nixed
  • Bump was squashed
  • Gas cap was relocated
...what's next, Yellow as a standard color?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
This was the most interesting part of the newsletter to me. With all the talk recently of engineering studies, it stood out to me that Elio has looked at this and apparently figured out that this exhaust routeing removes an entire station.

Let's see...
  • Elgin was nixed
  • Bump was squashed
  • Gas cap was relocated
Hmmmmm I like the sound of that, will have to consider the option, if, IF, it's the right color yellow.
I'm thinking a mustard yellow, that deeper and richer yellow would make you really stand out in a crowd of colors, not the cheap. cheezy yellow

Bikebrains

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"The unibody frame has created a natural path for the exhaust to exit out near the rear tire on the right side (non-door side). " Refer to https://www.eliomotors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/exhaust-1.jpg . Is the white "dot" on the lowest part of the side body panel the exhaust port, the end of the exhaust pipe? How is the body going to be protected from the heat of the exhaust? Will the exhaust pipe protrude far enough from the body to prevent the exhaust gases from harming the paint?

Last edited:

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmmmmm I like the sound of that, will have to consider the option, if, IF, it's the right color yellow.
I'm thinking a mustard yellow, that deeper and richer yellow would make you really stand out in a crowd of colors, not the cheap. cheezy yellow
You mean yellow? :p

www.urinecolors.com_themes_uctheme_assets_images_Dehydration_dark_urine.gif

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All I can say is HOORAY. The operation was successful.
https://www.elioowners.com/threads/elio-car-with-a-hernia.6944/
Edit: I would also say I might have been happier to see the exhaust run straight shot, to end underneath the back shroud. Could have made for an interesting " bass reflex" type sound, and no visible exhaust exit. Oh well.

Last edited:

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I
"The unibody frame has created a natural path for the exhaust to exit out near the rear tire on the right side (non-door side). " Refer to https://www.eliomotors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/exhaust-1.jpg . Is the white "dot" on the lowest part of the side body panel the exhaust port, the end of the exhaust pipe? How is the body going to be protected from the heat of the exhaust? Will the exhaust pipe protrude far enough from the body to prevent the exhaust gases from harming the paint?
Exactly, exhaust port engineering is a nightmare !
Kidding aside, I would assume the termination would be some kind of simple bezel affair.
Usually the case when a termination is though a body part.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I

Exactly, exhaust port engineering is a nightmare !
Kidding aside, I would assume the termination would be some kind of simple bezel affair.
Usually the case when a termination is though a body part.
I agree. And, LOL for the video!

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Let's see...
  • Elgin was nixed
  • Bump was squashed
  • Gas cap was relocated
Let's hope it's production!

Top Bottom