• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V101 -

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio Motors Momentum v101

go.eliomotors.com_hs_fs_hubfs_e1c_20front.jpg_7290e47cbd7591d348d9d320d869fab1.jpg

Bringing a revolutionary new vehicle to market requires many different steps to reach the finish line. Some steps require more unique solutions to challenges, like the engineering of the Elio’s wiper system. Click here to read more.

*MSRP excludes destination/delivery charges, taxes, title, registration, and options/installation.

Certain statements in this email including, but not limited to, statements related to anticipated commencement of commercial production, targeted pricing and performance goals, and statements that otherwise relate to future periods are forward-looking statements. These statements involve risks and uncertainties, which are described in more detail in the Company’s periodic reports filed with the SEC, specifically the most recent reports which identify important risk factors that could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are made and based on information available to the Company on the date of this email. Elio Motors assumes no obligation to update the information in this email.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Part 2

The Elio Team posted: " Bringing a revolutionary new vehicle to market can be likened to running a marathon. Both are arduous, long, and ultimately worthwhile endeavors. When running a marathon, the first and last miles may be the most exciting, but every single stride is of e"

New post on Elio Motors
s0.wp.com_i_emails_blavatar.png

Simple, But Important…
by The Elio Team

e1c-front-300x200.jpg

Bringing a revolutionary new vehicle to market can be likened to running a marathon. Both are arduous, long, and ultimately worthwhile endeavors. When running a marathon, the first and last miles may be the most exciting, but every single stride is of equal importance. Crossing the finish line is the culmination of every step and stride along the way. At Elio Motors, it has been our goal to include our supporters along the journey and show them each step and stride we take as we endeavor toward the finish line. Some steps require more unique solutions to challenges, like the engineering of the Elio’s wiper system.

Our unique configuration presents a unique set of challenges. One is the size and shape of the windshield. As the driver is the sole occupant in the front of the vehicle, the windshield is obviously narrower than a traditional vehicle.

In a traditional vehicle, the windshield’s width and height ratio allow for two wipers (or sometimes one large wiper) to work in unison to effectively clear the windshield of precipitation or debris. The Elio, with our front-to-back seating, has a unique windshield that is roughly half the size of a similarly sized car. The approximate measurements of the windshield are 33.25-inch wide at the base and 25.5-inches at the top and 29.75 inches overall height. With this reduction in size, the Elio could not use a traditional two wiper set-up and the challenge was set out for the Engineering team to solve this unique situation.

Wiper2-300x223.jpg

While having one single wiper can be a challenge, our engineers came up with an articulating system by using a linkage to lift the blade higher in the opposing corner to the pivot point of the wiper blade assembly. A four-bar linkage assembly is the key to providing sufficient coverage with our unique width to height ratio.

Linkage-300x270.jpg

Valeo, a well-known name in the automotive industry, is our wiper system supplier. The wiper system has 5 speeds, similar to most vehicles on the road. The wiper blade is approximately 17 inches in length while the wiper arm assembly is approximately 30.5 inches. Additionally, the wiper system has three mounting locations to the vehicle with rubber isolators to eliminate vibration. The total system, which includes the wiper motor assembly, wiper arm assembly, and reservoir weighs only 3.58 lbs. Keeping the Elio lightweight is a pivotal factor in achieving superior fuel economy (hence the change from a single gallon replacement to a half-gallon reservoir) and our engineers are constantly looking for ways to reduce weight without sacrificing quality.

Having completed the engineering of the wiper system allowed us to plan its sequence in the assembly line. The wiper motor assembly and electric components will be part of the “Trim” section completed in Operation 12, the wiper blade assembly will be installed in Operation 13, and the washer bottle will be connected to the nozzle in Operation 14. This saves us time and resources in advance of production.

Each day, we make strides toward our ultimate goal. Producing a game-changing vehicle is a marathon and each and every step is vital to crossing the finish line.

The Elio Team | April 12, 2017 at 6:56 pm |

pixel.wp.com_b.gif_11300e354c6e83b9fb2cf0ebce28a6b6.gif

Last edited:

acentre

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I find it intriguing that they specified the production line section name and operation numbers. It seems to imply that they have the production line layout close to being finalized.
I would worry less about the function of the wiper and more about the total production of the Elio.
Why cannot a trial production run be undertaken, giving deposit holders a vehicle?

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hard to get excited about a windshield wiper ?
LOVING MOMENTUM V101 !!!!!!!!!!!!
That windshield wiper slappin' out a tempo, Keepin' perfect rhythm with the song on the radio, But I got to keep rollin'. - Paraphrased from Eddie Rabbit's Diving My Life Away.
Some exciting words and phrases out of context;
" Bringing a revolutionary new vehicle to market " Crossing the finish line " " Having completed the engineering " " time and resources in advance of production. " " Each day, we make strides toward our ultimate goal. Producing a game-changing vehicle "

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like their original idea of the wiper bottle which they seem to have given up on.

There was suppose to be no wiper fluid bottle. People would place the gallon bottle of fluid they purchased at the store in a holder and place the suction tube in it. When used, it would be removed and a new full bottle set in its place.

Perhaps they did not have enough space.

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I find it intriguing that they specified the production line section name and operation numbers. It seems to imply that they have the production line layout close to being finalized.
I'm with Slinches!

Ok, this momentum was pretty lackluster, because who really cares that much about where the windshield wipers come from and such. BUT...what I really liked was buried towards the end of the post:

"Having completed the engineering of the wiper system allowed us to plan its sequence in the assembly line. The wiper motor assembly and electric components will be part of the “Trim” section completed in Operation 12, the wiper blade assembly will be installed in Operation 13, and the washer bottle will be connected to the nozzle in Operation 14. This saves us time and resources in advance of production."

It goes into details of the actual steps, operations, and stations of the production line, and how these processes will work and save time. It goes to show that Elio Motors DOES have a plan for the production assembly line laid out, and are analyzing it to save time and money. Honestly this momentum didn't peak my interest until I saw that paragraph, and it increased my confidence in their plan to see this until I can ride my own Elio!

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score

YES! This indicates production engineering is ongoing! :D

The wiper bottle is pretty easy to figure; a half gallon doesn't take up much space and only weighs four pounds, as opposed to eight pounds. But, with that said, damn, I sure liked the idea of just setting a jug of washer fluid in a holder... :(

Top Bottom