• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V115

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio Motors Momentum v115
[Broken External Image]

go.eliomotors.com_hs_fs_hubfs_cap.jpg_045caffc6c9b6cc8f511ed2f25cc0fb8.jpg

The House of Representative’s Bill 2381 (HB 2381), known as the Autocycle Safety Act, shows that representatives from both sides of the political aisle can come together in the interest of the American people, and for Elio Motors.

*MSRP excludes destination/delivery charges, taxes, title, registration, and options/installation.

Certain statements in this email including, but not limited to, statements related to anticipated commencement of commercial production, targeted pricing and performance goals, and statements that otherwise relate to future periods are forward-looking statements. These statements involve risks and uncertainties, which are described in more detail in the Company’s periodic reports filed with the SEC, specifically the most recent reports which identify important risk factors that could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are made and based on information available to the Company on the date of this email. Elio Motors assumes no obligation to update the information in this email.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Page 2

Elio Bringing Representatives Across the Aisle…
by The Elio Team

[Broken External Image]

It doesn’t take a political wonk or pundit to know that deep, partisan lines have been drawn in Washington D.C. It seems as if every day brings a new issue which divides rather than unites, and that these issues become obscured through sound bites and the goal of scoring political points. There is, however, a matter that represents every political party’s interests and has enticed representatives to cross the aisle to agree on common sense legislation. The House of Representative’s Bill 2381 (HB 2381), known as the Autocycle Safety Act, shows that representatives from both sides of the political aisle can come together in the interest of the American people, and for Elio Motors.

The three-wheel configuration of the Elio is unique, which presented a challenge in terms of classification. From the outset, our goal was to ensure that Elio Motors customers would be able to drive their vehicle without a helmet and with a standard driver’s license. We have experienced tremendous success to this point. Here is a current map of states that require a helmet and motorcycle endorsement:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

We have and continue to make progress at the state level. Yet, there is a distinct advantage to having a federal statute in place to classify our vehicle as an autocycle. While you can drive our vehicle from one state to another with a regular driver’s license, our vehicle may be classified differently in both states. The current classification of our vehicle ranges from state to state, and these classifications include motorcycle, tri-vehicle, unconventional vehicle, type II motorcycle, motor vehicle, and trimobile. Having an autocycle bill at the federal level will ensure continued free movement for Elio owners and ensure that all manufacturers are held to the same safety standards. Further, the Autocycle Safety Act will provide regulatory guidance for state and local agencies.

Simply, House Bill (HB) 2381 defines the safety features required for an autocycle designation. These safety features include brake and seating systems, seat belts, lights, reflective devices, as well as controls and displays (among other, more technical details.) The Elio Safety Management System literally and figuratively fits the bill for introducing autocycle safety legislation.

The Autocycle Safety Act that was introduced in May appeals to both major political parties. HB 2381 has shown, through its sponsors, that there are matters that can appeal to all Americans. The representatives who support the bill are from a wide variety of states, from Michigan (Republicans John Moolenaar (primary), Bill Huizinga and Mike Bishop) to Arizona (Democrat Kyrsten Sinema). These members of Congress represent their unique districts, and while their constituents span various interests and concerns, they have come together in a show of bipartisanship for a vehicle that is safe and American-made. The Autocycle Safety Act is a perfect example of Elio’s bipartisan appeal.

The Elio Team | July 19, 2017 at 5:42 pm |

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Page 2
These safety features include brake and seating systems, seat belts, lights, reflective devices, as well as controls and displays (among other, more technical details.) The Elio Safety Management System literally and figuratively fits the bill for introducing autocycle safety legislation.

OK...so since about 70% of posts are negative nowadays, this momentum leads me towards my faith that Elio is thinking ahead and plans for the long game.

"...lights, reflective devices..." I think this is proof that Elio recognized the legal issue that was brought up long ago regarding the headlight spacing for motorcycles. This little law affected some company's designs (think Polaris Slingshot and the one Solo post with the center extra headlights mounted on the hood) and other companies that never came into regs, and were put on notice. I'm hoping that this bill will remove the headlight spacing legal issue, and brings us one step closer!

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK...so since about 70% of posts are negative nowadays, this momentum leads me towards my faith that Elio is thinking ahead and plans for the long game.

"...lights, reflective devices..." I think this is proof that Elio recognized the legal issue that was brought up long ago regarding the headlight spacing for motorcycles. This little law affected some company's designs (think Polaris Slingshot and the one Solo post with the center extra headlights mounted on the hood) and other companies that never came into regs, and were put on notice. I'm hoping that this bill will remove the headlight spacing legal issue, and brings us one step closer!
Kind of looks like it was written with Elio in mind.
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr2381/text/ih
" except for center high-mounted stop lamps;"
" except for inside rearview mirrors;"
As for headlight spacing, I read through it and decided to leave it to the pro's to figure out. https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se49.6.571_1108

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Louisiana is taking aim at a company the US congress is making law for?

Seatbelts and tail lights seem tedious for the congress and the president to sign bills about. I thought there were regulatory agencies of the federal government that wrote regulations for things like this.

Does the government show their support for bills like this and thus signal the appropriate regulatory agency to enact it into their regulations? Perhaps it works that way.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The first definition in the bill is:

(1) autocycle means a motorcycle with 3 wheels in contact with the ground, front-wheel drive, a fully enclosed occupant compartment, and a steering wheel, which is subject to applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards, as determined necessary by the Secretary of Transportation through regulation.

Personally I think the "front-wheel drive" should have been written as "Front or All wheel drive". This would allow future vehicles with all electric drives or even maybe a Elio with electric in the back. I also question the fully enclosed part. Does that mean a sun roof is out?
I think the current terminology is too restrictive.

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The first definition in the bill is:

(1) autocycle means a motorcycle with 3 wheels in contact with the ground, front-wheel drive, a fully enclosed occupant compartment, and a steering wheel, which is subject to applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards, as determined necessary by the Secretary of Transportation through regulation.

Personally I think the "front-wheel drive" should have been written as "Front or All wheel drive". This would allow future vehicles with all electric drives or even maybe a Elio with electric in the back. I also question the fully enclosed part. Does that mean a sun roof is out?
I think the current terminology is too restrictive.

Interesting. By attempting to exclude rear-wheel driven designs from classification federally as an autocycle, that immediately omits the Polaris Slingshot and even the Sondors.

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Whole buncha 2381 out there. I think I found the droid we are looking for.
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr2381

I e-mailed my Congresslady asking for her support.

If anybody here is a direct constituent of these U.S. House Representatives, these are the individuals that ultimately determine the legislative fate of H.R. 2381:

House Committee on Energy & Commerce, Subcommittee on Digital Commerce and Consumer Protection -

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/committees/HSIF/17

It turns out my U.S. House Rep, Ms. Debbie Dingell, is on that subcommittee, so I'll do my part.

Top Bottom