• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V122

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio Motors Momentum v122

go.eliomotors.com_hs_fs_hubfs_fb1.jpg_561f3e7253ff3725f774bb1c1768b8d9.jpg

In case you missed it, last week’s Momentum presented answers to engineering questions we received from Elio Motors supporters. Last week focused on more general engineering questions, while today’s Momentum will answer engine specific answers.

*MSRP excludes destination/delivery charges, taxes, title, registration, and options/installation.

Certain statements in this email including, but not limited to, statements related to anticipated commencement of commercial production, targeted pricing and performance goals, and statements that otherwise relate to future periods are forward-looking statements. These statements involve risks and uncertainties, which are described in more detail in the Company’s periodic reports filed with the SEC, specifically the most recent reports which identify important risk factors that could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are made and based on information available to the Company on the date of this email. Elio Motors assumes no obligation to update the information in this email.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The Elio Team posted: " Of the thousands of components that come together to make a vehicle operational, the engine is often viewed as the most important. Fittingly, it also tends to generate the most questions. In case you missed it, last week’s Momentum presented answers to e"

Engine Questions, Answered
by The Elio Team

Of the thousands of components that come together to make a vehicle operational, the engine is often viewed as the most important. Fittingly, it also tends to generate the most questions. In case you missed it, last week’s Momentum presented answers to engineering questions we received from Elio Motors supporters. Last week focused on more general engineering questions, while today’s Momentum will answer engine specific answers.

Q: Are the valves hydraulic or will they need to be adjusted? If so, what mileage interval?

The Elio engine valves are direct acting buckets that will not require adjustment at any mileage interval. This design is currently used on popular engines. Find below a CAD rendering of the current valvetrain:

Q: How does 11:1 compression run on 87 octane gasoline?

This question is quite common, and the answer is multifaceted. A compression ratio of 11 is being used for the production engine. The higher geometric compression ratio allows longer expansion ratio, which is a primary factor in fuel conversion efficiency. IAV has designed the engine to avoid knock primarily by reduced cylinder pressure via reduced volumetric efficiency via intake valve timing. The secondary knock avoidance mechanism is spark retard. The key enabler to the high compression ratio is enhanced cooling which controls combustion chamber metal temperature.

There are several main factors that allow us to achieve our targeted mileage with an 11:1 compression ratio:

Enhanced intake and exhaust port flow

Enhanced combustion through swirl/tumble optimization

Sequential port fuel injection (reduce event-to-event variability)

Advanced spray targeting provides gasoline direct injection-like (GDI) cooling benefits without the cost

Improved cooling reduces octane requirements enabling higher compression ratios

Variable valve lift allows optimal engine residency for fuel economy

EGR with cooler

Piston and Head Shape: The design on the Elio piston and head allows for maximization of the stroke.

Valve angle: The angle of the valves when incorporated with the changes above, allow for a super-efficient engine.

This compression ration aligns with current and future compression ratios of vehicles. If you look at the current and near future designs they range anywhere from 10:1 to 16:1 ratios.

Q: Will the Elio use a timing chain or a timing belt?

The Elio engine will use a timing belt. We have decided to use a timing belt for several reasons. First, a timing belt reduces weight, friction, and vibration. Second, a timing belt fits the simplicity of the design. Finally, a timing belt will enhance the longevity of the engine. Using a timing belt meets our objectives and is preferable to the customer.

Q: Will the Elio have an interference or non-interference engine?

The Elio will have a non-interference engine. In a non-interference engine, the piston cannot move into the valve area.

Q: Will a different engine, with a different power source, ever be available?

While a different engine may be possible in the future, our first model will run solely on unleaded gasoline. The primary reason we are using gasoline is to keep our base price as low as possible. Our sole focus is getting the vehicle to market as quickly as possible and at an unbeatable value proposition. That said, we also believe that the vehicle platform is perfect, in the future, for alternative power sources.

Again, thank you to all of our supporters that provided us with these tremendous questions. As we continue down the path toward production, we will endeavor to provide you a look into the process of designing and engineering an innovative new vehicle.

The Elio Team | September 6, 2017 at 6:21 pm

pixel.wp.com_b.gif_cf26b1fc38c24c607df162cc9e33a414.gif

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting , I thought it was an interference engine. Now I like the timing belt over noisy chain.
If the belt brakes, the motor won't fall, down time on a side road, baby and all.
Correct?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting , I thought it was an interference engine. Now I like the timing belt over noisy chain.
If the belt brakes, the motor won't fall, down time on a side road, baby and all.
Correct?
Yup, at least you won't have to replace pistons and valves that meet catastrophically.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Originally the vehicle was going to have a tubular frame, now it has a stamped frame. It was going to have a composite body, now it is going to have a metal body with some nonmetal parts. It was going to have the elgin gauge cluster, now it will have a traditional gauge cluster (not complaining). It was going to use the windshield washer jug the fluid came it, now it will have a typical reservoir. It was going to have a timing chain, now it has a belt.

Wow. This vehicle is really changing. (I trust it will still have 3 wheels ultimately.)

I wonder if it will still be called "Elio".

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the following video, engineer Cody from IAV says a belt has less friction than a chain but they went with the chain for reliability.

EM changed their mind and went with a belt, which Cody says has less friction. Was this to achieve the 84 mpg, or cut costs, or something else?

It is at time 8:30

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember them saying it was a chain previously. I am fine with a belt for a non-interference design. The compression seems pretty high for a non-interference design, but I bet they notched the pistons with valve reliefs.

Glad to learn something new, finally! It also tells me with the lack of data that either no testing has been done with the motor in the car with the current drivetrain or the preliminary numbers were too bad to publish. Not unexpected with early stages of tuning, though. I was just secretly hoping they made more progress in the background than they had let on.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Chains, while more noisy, last for the life of the engine. I hate the idea of changing the timing belt. Transverse mounted engines are very crowded in that area. I hope the engine does not have to be dropped to change the timing belt.

Top Bottom