• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum # V63

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors Momentum v63
[Broken External Image]
Paul Elio Shares Reg A+ Experience with SEC; Learnings Will Help Shape Modifications to Policy, Help Investors, Entrepreneurs

[Broken External Image]
Most people that get called before the Securities and Exchange Commission probably appear with a fair amount of trepidation. They might even get a little perspiration on their brow.

For Paul Elio’s first appearance, however, he was as cool and composed as ever.

Elio Motors’ experience raising funds through Regulation A+ has given Paul and the company a unique perspective and expertise -- so much so, in fact, that the Advisory Committee on Small and Emerging Companies invited him to the meeting to provide the Committee with valuable feedback from the issuer's perspective.

The meeting was held to review the first year of amendments to Regulation A, made possible under Title IV of the 2012 Jumpstart our Business Startup (JOBS) Act. The amended regulation, often shortened to Reg A+, provides better access to capital through fundraising for small and emerging companies and provides investors – both large and small – with more investment choices.

Based on Elio Motors’ experience, Paul said that Reg A+ became a critical element in the company’s fundraising efforts. He said, “As soon as we found out about it, we thought Reg A+ was a natural fit. Since then, I’ve read The Innovator’s Dilemma, [a book about investing and innovation] and I think that the premise of the book really fits Elio’s experience.”

Paul explained one of the book’s examples from the disk drive industry. Established companies were afraid to invest in innovation, so they were continually beaten out by new and emerging companies. Today, a similar fear of risk is keeping big investors from funding big ideas from emerging companies. Reg A+ can help emerging companies – such as Elio Motors – find investment at critical junctures in their development.

Paul presented a very comprehensive review of how Elio Motors got to the validation and calibration stage where the company is now testing E-Series vehicles. He took the SEC group and the virtual audience through the Elio Motors’ value proposition, the growth of its reservation program and other fundraising aspects, as well as its retail strategy and regulatory victories.

While some companies might be skeptical about working with a government agency, Elio Motors found the process easy to navigate and the SEC easy to work with.

“The Reg A+ process was a great experience for us. The SEC was incredibly cooperative,” Elio said.

As an example of SEC cooperation, because no one has gone through the Reg A+ process before, there were several questions that arose in the “testing the waters” phase. For example, when Elio Motors’ fundraising went live, the company wanted to show the dollar amount pledged in non-binding commitments. This was something not clearly defined in regard to compliance. Contrary to the expectation that it might take weeks to hear back, the SEC responded within a few days, approving the dollar amount display. Paul said that as various questions arose, this quick-and-easy feedback loop with the Commission helped to ensure a smooth process was achieved with limited challenges.

Speaking of the importance of the Reg A+ process to the company, Paul said, “The single-biggest hurdle in creating Elio Motors was attracting capital. This is absolutely key to our continued success. Reg A+ put us over the hump,” referring to the fact that the company is now attracting the attention of institutional investors.

Elio Motors is still pursuing a variety of fundraising strategies, but the Reg A+ experience was positive, valuable, and showed what can be accomplished when government and business work together. Paul’s experience and discussion with the SEC will likely shape some future modifications to the program; all with the intent of helping other emerging companies and investors take advantage of this important policy.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So the conversation I'd like to have about this comes from this snippit:
Speaking of the importance of the Reg A+ process to the company, Paul said, “The single-biggest hurdle in creating Elio Motors was attracting capital. This is absolutely key to our continued success. Reg A+ put us over the hump,” referring to the fact that the company is now attracting the attention of institutional investors.

Elio Motors is still pursuing a variety of fundraising strategies, but the Reg A+ experience was positive, valuable, and showed what can be accomplished when government and business work together. Paul’s experience and discussion with the SEC will likely shape some future modifications to the program; all with the intent of helping other emerging companies and investors take advantage of this important policy.
What does it mean to be 'over the hump'?

So I'd like a clearer picture of what resources Em has to fulfill their 272millin requirement ( as they recently said ), how much more do they need -before- they can start production?

Many details aren't clear for us (& me). For example how much do they need at some lead-time before production start, say 6 months? How much at the moment they reach day1 production?, cause they may not need it all at that second. OR maybe they do. But I know they can pay for Q3/4 parts orders later than day1.

I think at day1 of production, or very close afterward they will have the full 240k reservations with about 200k doing a full 1000 down payment. That's 240million right there. (maybe subtract 17mil they may have used already) But this is maybe after the lead-time needed to get ready. So that money will just end some 'gap loans' needed to get to production.

Anyway, I want to know what streams they can acquire capital from. And is this pre-lead-time, pre-production or post production start?

1) Individuals are being touched for stock sales obviously.
2) Institutions are being touched for stock sales obviously.
3) When they get to some critical point 'gap loans' are possible. ( have no idea about such a point other than the ATVM )
4) Obviously, ATVM approval would get 185m, and that would likely hit the 'critical point'.
5) They might pre-sell some carbon credits at a discount depending on many political factors. Value up to $3k for each vehicle, 720mil max total post production value.
6) Surplus equipment sales could still produce some number of millions.
7) Partner business agreements are being considered where the partner contributes some of the tooling/facility investment.
8) Income from the sale of the 100 unit pilot production. ( ? net $100k ea ? ignoring possible carb cred )
9) Income and partner investment from the world sales of engines.
10) More 100unit pilot runs for 'fleet testing' could be done. ( ? net $100k ea ? )

What else is there? And how are these venues going?

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

So I'd like a clearer picture of what resources Em has to fulfill their 272millin requirement ( as they recently said ), how much more do they need -before- they can start production?

Many details aren't clear for us (& me). For example how much do they need at some lead-time before production start, say 6 months? How much at the moment they reach day1 production?, cause they may not need it all at that second. OR maybe they do. But I know they can pay for Q3/4 parts orders later than day1.

I think at day1 of production, or very close afterward they will have the full 240k reservations with about 200k doing a full 1000 down payment. That's 240million right there. (maybe subtract 17mil they may have used already) But this is maybe after the lead-time needed to get ready. So that money will just end some 'gap loans' needed to get to production.

Anyway, I want to know what streams they can acquire capital from. And is this pre-lead-time, pre-production or post production start?

3) When they get to some critical point 'gap loans' are possible. ( have no idea about such a point other than the ATVM )
4) Obviously, ATVM approval would get 185m, and that would likely hit the 'critical point'.
5) They might pre-sell some carbon credits at a discount depending on many political factors. Value up to $3k for each vehicle, 720mil max total post production value.
7) Partner business agreements are being considered where the partner contributes some of the tooling/facility investment.
8) Income from the sale of the 100 unit pilot production. ( ? net $100k ea ? ignoring possible carb cred )
10) More 100unit pilot runs for 'fleet testing' could be done. ( ? net $100k ea ? )

An Add-on question would be has that company that is going to build engines getting geared up to build them? When will they start production?

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Over the Hump" I think would be when the Testing has been completed and orders to start building Elio is given and people start to buy them. Till then I believe we are still short of the Cusp of the Hump

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I think when Paul says "over the hump" he means that it's easier to get the ear of potential investors, to schedule time with them. It's great to have the strong endorsement from Zacks, which attracts early bird investors looking for a bargain. That's part of being over the hump. So is the deal with Linamar, the enthusiasm of Continental (plainly visible in the E-1 unveiling video), and the involvement of Roush.

"Over the hump" does not equate to "piece of cake." And while Paul is obviously feeling better -- lost some weight, more bounce in his step, much more comfortable with financial audiences -- the real hump is the ATVM loan. That, and autocycle legislation enabling CAFE credits. Those two together will unleash the flames of capitalists' desires. And why not? One big chunk of capital at no risk to investors, and an even bigger profit margin per car due to CAFE credits. That is a pie into which every investor will want to dive face-first.

Get those E-cars tested and certified to the DOE, and pray the Democrats win the election. Then watch Elio take off.

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
An Add-on question would be has that company that is going to build engines getting geared up to build them? When will they start production?
The company is Linamar, and while they're Canadian-owned, they're building a plant in Henderson County, North Carolina to build the engines. The plant is scheduled to open in mid-2017. Elio isn't the only reason they're investing in a plant:

(from their most recent financial statement discussion section:)
North American automotive sales for Q4 2015 increased 20.8% from Q4 2014 in a market that saw an increase of 2.1% in production volumes for the same period. As a result, content per vehicle in Q4 2015 increased 18.4% from $131.01 to $155.08. The increase in content per vehicle was a result of increases on launching programs and added sales from the acquisition of the forging businesses.
That translates to more Linamar content in every engine that they touch. They must be doing something right, other than Elio.

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
More on Linamar... From TSE:LNR currently sellin $54.39C$

Linamar Corporation is a Canada-based diversified manufacturing company of engineered products powering vehicles, motion, work and lives. The Company operates through two segments: the Powertrain/Driveline and the Industrial. The segments are divided into four operating groups: Machining & Assembly, Light Metal Casting, Forging and Skyjack. The Company's Machining and Assembly, Casting and Forging operating groups focus on precision metallic components, modules and systems for engine, transmission, driveline and body systems designed for global vehicle and industrial markets. The Company's Skyjack operating group is noted for its mobile industrial equipment, notably its aerial work platforms and tele handlers. The Company provides core engine components, including cylinder blocks and heads, camshafts and connecting rods. For transmission, it builds differential assemblies, gear sets, shaft and shell assemblies, as well as clutch modules.

Top Bottom