• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Most Affordable Vehicle Ever Created?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Per this article (link) on the alter-the-course video at 1:03, PE says, 'The Elio ... is the most affordable vehicle ever created'. I'll take that to mean 'most affordable motor vehicle for two person transportation ever created'. So is it?

IMHO, a KR200 is the closest equivalent that has a chance to grab the 'most affordable' title . . .cost $1,073 in 1956

So comparing 1956 to 2015, the KR200 was equal to between $11,550 and $13,335 in today's money.
CostOfCars.png

So and Elio is about half the price of the cheapest 2 seat car that can drive on US freeways, and about half the equivalent cost of a 1956 Messerschmidt, which really wasn't capable of all weather travel on US freeways.

Does anyone know of another challenger for the title of 'Most Affordable Motor Vehicle for two' (MAMV42) ?
(remember the answer to the universal question? yes 42)

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's not even a single seater that's close in overall cost that also matches the Elio's capability for freeway speeds and climate controlled cabin.

If you drop those requirements (and the third wheel), the field opens up quite a bit. Although, that isn't exactly a fair comparison anymore.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about the N600, for a contender, From a google search
(www.hemmings.com)"In 1970," Tim tells us, "a Honda N600 car cost $1,300. A Honda 750 bike cost more than that at the time. And all N600s need the same parts: door window wipers, taillamp lenses, the door panel trim pieces inside broken, dashes are cracked and buckled, the coin holder is sunbaked and rotten,
. . .
"When they're working right, they're fantastic. I have a customer driving his from Florida to me here in California next week. It's a capable little car...but you have to have a certain degree of mechanical aptitude, and be aware that it is a car that shouldn't go more than 65 MPH down the road."

There are other, more hands-on issues as well. "You have to change the oil every 2,000 miles--it's got a really marginal oil filtration system. It's got a carburetor, and points in the distributor, as well as valves you have to adjust yourself. This is a high-performance car, and it needs maintenance."

There's also the notion that this machine, despite Honda's later reputation for all-around excellence, was built to a price. "In 1970," Tim tells us, "a Honda N600 car cost $1,300. A Honda 750 bike cost more than that at the time. And all N600s need the same parts: door window wipers, taillamp lenses, the door panel trim pieces inside broken, dashes are cracked and buckled, the coin holder is sunbaked and rotten. That's the short list of items that they all need." In the days when Ford boasted that their Maverick cost $1,995, and didn't even come with a glovebox, $1,300 for a new car meant that corners were cut. Four decades on, evidence of this mentality becomes more evident.
Average 1970s home price – approximately $27,000 (9x) , Average income $7,466. (7x)
So at 7x to 9x, the equivalent cost was $9,100 to $11,700.

I'd rather have the Elio at $7,600 than a Honda N600 at $9,100, or even the Maverick at it's (7x) equivalent of $13,965. The Elio even adds AC standard where the others didn't.

So far, Paul's assertion is upheld.

another search results,,,
Morris Minor, GB, $12,500 -
Daihatsu Ayla, Indonesia, current, $6,386
Peel, GB 1962,, $2,200 in 2013 dollars
Ford-T, 1923, $3,895

Last edited:

cantwait

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is this a serious question, or just for fun?

Obviously, motorcycles are motor vehicles, so the "most affordable vehicle ever created" title doesn't apply.
Obviously, many motorcycles are designed for two people, so the "most affordable motor vehicle for two person transportation ever created" title doesn't apply.
Since Elio's currently cost about $100,000+ each, the "'most affordable motor vehicle for two person transportation capable of freeway speeds with a climate controlled cabin ever created" title doesn't apply.

On the other hand, if/when the Elio makes it to production, at $6800-7600, it would be a strong contender. But the Tata Nano is capable of 65mph, and is much cheaper, so the Elio still probably wouldn't get the title.

Again, it's all for fun, and is just marketing hype. No need to take it seriously. The end product is what counts.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just for fun, so anything you say, it's good. (I did seriously wonder if that could be true)
But the nano price at the time they were trying to import it was to be over $7500. So same condition as the Elio , "doesn't exist", (yet).

I suspect the Nano effort highlighted that $7500 was possible, and encouraged a willingness to think that way.

PS, skilled incomes in India have greatly risen since then, even $7500 may not be possible now, (as a 4wheeler).

Last edited:

cantwait

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just for fun, so anything you say, it's good. (I did seriously wonder if that could be true)
But the nano price at the time they were trying to import it was to be over $7500. So same condition as the Elio , "doesn't exist", (yet).

I suspect the Nano effort highlighted that $7500 was possible, and encouraged a willingness to think that way.
Still in fun, but the Nano has been in production since 2008, and cost about $2k when introduced. It definitely exists.

One of the reasons it is so inexpensive is that is does not have to meet U.S. auto regulations. The same will be true of the Elio, unless the federal autocycle safety regulations get passed. If that passes, the Elio's price will jump dramatically.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Still in fun, but the Nano has been in production since 2008, and cost about $2k when introduced. It definitely exists.

One of the reasons it is so inexpensive is that is does not have to meet U.S. auto regulations. The same will be true of the Elio, unless the federal autocycle safety regulations get passed. If that passes, the Elio's price will jump dramatically.
I mean doesn't exist in a form for sale in the USA. It would definitely up the price to get it into shape, etc. But I think they could have beat the $7500 price.
I have not seen anything in the new autocycle regulations that would affect the Elio pricing. But I haven't examined that in minute detail either. We have others who have, and except for your comment, nobody stated a contention.

Take note too, affordable should take the mpg into account, and except for the Elio none of the above (in the same category) compares very well.

Last edited:

cantwait

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to beat a dead horse. The Nano is not available in the U.S.A. because it does not meet U.S. safety and emission regulations. It would cost a great deal 1) to bring the vehicle up to specs 2) for the additional costs of the parts, labor and warranty to build the vehicles to the increased specs and 3) meet the recurring costs of testing, inspection and compliance after the vehicles are built.

By falling under motorcycle regulations, Elio will be able to avoid or dramatically reduce those costs. The autocycle regulations would eliminate those advantages, and the Elio would be just another small car, and would be subject to all the costs and challenges tied to automotive compliance.

Elio Motors was started because Paul saw that sliver of opportunity between the regulatory hurdles.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agreed, I would expect Tata could be competition one day, if they decided to try it. But I think they would want any product to be viable in India first, and I'm not so sure an Elio would do well there in great numbers. They don't need the speed or acceleration, and at those lower specs there are many cheaper vehicles there that are more utilitarian. So I'm guessing an Elio type product is a hard sell in the Tata business climate.

Now if the Elio started selling well world-wide, now many manufacturers would sit up straight, take notice, and start planning. They would expect to beat Elio on price if nothing else.

China could get an inferior product ready in a year (at the very minimum), one more (+) for US import, everyone else adds another year to get to the same point. So Elio likely has a two to five year advantage overseas, three to six domestically.

Last edited:
Top Bottom