• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Question

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I learned that a long time ago; I grew up in NW Indiana and you do not know pain until you catch a June bug in the middle of the forehead at 65 without a helmet. I don't know if they have changed the helmet laws there (I moved to the NW in 1975) but I started wearing a helmet then, and still do to this day. I have a deep scar in my forehead to remind me every time I look in a mirror.
I also cringe every time I see a rider with flip flops or tennis shoes, I like my ankles and always wear boots.

Helmets, If you ride with out one you are a fool. However freedom gives us the right to be foolish. I fully support anyone right not to wear one .
Todays Modular ones are amazing they do not block any vision and offer plenty of options on how you use them. Couple weeks back we went shopping for news ones. His and Hers same model different colors.
DSCN2973.JPG

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I learned that a long time ago; I grew up in NW Indiana and you do not know pain until you catch a June bug in the middle of the forehead at 65 without a helmet. I don't know if they have changed the helmet laws there (I moved to the NW in 1975) but I started wearing a helmet then, and still do to this day. I have a deep scar in my forehead to remind me every time I look in a mirror.
I also cringe every time I see a rider with flip flops or tennis shoes, I like my ankles and always wear boots.
Cross, good advise. Welcome to the forum and to the Elio family. We look forward to your comments and opinions. Enjoy the journey and the Elio experience - no bugs in your teeth, warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and dry year round.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know some of the fellow elio owners here have a motorcycle.

I am currently looking at purchasing a 2014 Yamaha Star Bolt to hold me over until my elio comes in.... I just was curious... I havent riden since being a crazy college guy (I had a 2003 YZF 600r) and was a complete idiot on it. However, I am now into the cruisers and wanted to know if anyone has wiped out or near wipe out. My wife said its ok but I want her to know that its safe and it depends on my awareness and riding with my fellow friends (who have bikes). I just want to hear it from you veteran riders.

(this would be my fifth year riding, but my 9th if I didnt stop four years ago)
Ok, I'm a little hesitant about this post. The reason being my ride wasn't a motorcycle but rather a 150cc scooter (downsizing lost the space to park the scoot, still missing it!!). In my defense, I racked up 10K miles in 3 riding seasons, no tickets, no accidents but lots of great time on 2 wheels going from city to foothills to prairie. If it wasn't freeway, we would try it! Oh, did I forget to mention my wife had a scooter too (best idea ever! She's missing her scoot too!!). The point I guess I wanted to make is to enjoy the ride, get out there and see, hear and smell what you can't in the cage. Do it safely though, eliminate as many risk factors as possible. Do the MSF safety course even if you have years of experience on your bike. Knowledge is as important as safety gear. Make sure your bike is always in excellent condition, good condition isn't good enough. Know that you are invisible to cagers, they aren't out to get you, they just don't see you. Always have your "Spidey senses" going, something doesn't feel right, act on it, you've nothing to lose. It sorta sounds like a lot of negative rules and we're out there to have a great ride, right? Trust me, once you get the safety rules down, you can confidently enjoy your ride. Did I mention how important knowledge is? Notice I said "eliminate as many risk factors as possible", we can only do so much for ourselves to be safe. The rest we do what we can and, honestly, hope for the best and enjoy the ride. Nothing like a sunny day on two wheels, with the wife riding to the rear and right going to, well, where ever!

Missing our scoots is one of the reasons for getting the Elio, true, it's a modified cage. But it's a really cool modified cage that happens to get great mpg, be pretty safe and looks like a hoot to drive! Ours will be James Bond Black, auto tranny and cruise control. Yeah, cool on three wheels.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I'm a little hesitant about this post. The reason being my ride wasn't a motorcycle but rather a 150cc scooter (downsizing lost the space to park the scoot, still missing it!!). In my defense, I racked up 10K miles in 3 riding seasons, no tickets, no accidents but lots of great time on 2 wheels going from city to foothills to prairie. If it wasn't freeway, we would try it! Oh, did I forget to mention my wife had a scooter too (best idea ever! She's missing her scoot too!!). The point I guess I wanted to make is to enjoy the ride, get out there and see, hear and smell what you can't in the cage. Do it safely though, eliminate as many risk factors as possible. Do the MSF safety course even if you have years of experience on your bike. Knowledge is as important as safety gear. Make sure your bike is always in excellent condition, good condition isn't good enough. Know that you are invisible to cagers, they aren't out to get you, they just don't see you. Always have your "Spidey senses" going, something doesn't feel right, act on it, you've nothing to lose. It sorta sounds like a lot of negative rules and we're out there to have a great ride, right? Trust me, once you get the safety rules down, you can confidently enjoy your ride. Did I mention how important knowledge is? Notice I said "eliminate as many risk factors as possible", we can only do so much for ourselves to be safe. The rest we do what we can and, honestly, hope for the best and enjoy the ride. Nothing like a sunny day on two wheels, with the wife riding to the rear and right going to, well, where ever!

Missing our scoots is one of the reasons for getting the Elio, true, it's a modified cage. But it's a really cool modified cage that happens to get great mpg, be pretty safe and looks like a hoot to drive! Ours will be James Bond Black, auto tranny and cruise control. Yeah, cool on three wheels.
Mike, welcome to the forum and the Elio family. As an old motorcycle rider I have no issue with scooter riders. They understand the rules of the road and the danger of being on two wheels and not being seen by many car drivers. You can find all the information about the Elio by using the forum search function and since we are a friendly helpful bunch don't hesitate to ask your questions or express your opinions.

Top Bottom