• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Expectations

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi, everyone,
I've been reading most threads and I have one important topic (to me) I have yet seen opened. Will I be able to work on the Elio myself - if I choose to? Or, like every vehicle out of the Big Three, Europe and Asia as well, will I be forced to buy expensive 'one-off' tools and deal with over-engineering (remove 6 parts to get the one needing adjustment/replacement). ALL major automakers design their vehicles in this manner for one reason - getting owners to take their cars in to the dealership for service at exorbitant shop rates for marked-up $ parts.
I'm 52 -but I miss the days where I could give my 1966 Chevy Impala a tune up - or replace the starter (without removing suspension/exhaust components). I understand this isn't the 1960's and vehicles today MUST be engineered more environmentally friendly not to mention safer (a 1600 lb verses a 4,000 lb behemoth)....but I miss those days and I feel Elio Motors, its partners, and their engineers can bring some knowledge/fun back into motoring with a sensible, uncomplicated (as possible) design with an eye toward easier owner maintenance/repair. Just my 2 cents.

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From the FAQ:

Q: Is the Elio something that a lot of Do-it-Yourselfers will like to service themselves?
Absolutely. The Elio has a relatively simple design, so it’s something that the guy who likes to get his hands dirty will really enjoy. Enthusiasts and people that know what they want will see Elio as a blank canvas perfect for self-expression.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi, everyone,will I be forced to buy expensive 'one-off' tools and deal with over-engineering (remove 6 parts to get the one needing adjustment/replacement). ALL major automakers design their vehicles in this manner for one reason - getting owners to take their cars in to the dealership for service at exorbitant shop rates for marked-up $ parts.
I feel Elio Motors, its partners, and their engineers can bring some knowledge/fun back into motoring with a sensible, uncomplicated (as possible) design with an eye toward easier owner maintenance/repair. Just my 2 cents.
Stephen, Bilbo B pretty much summed up the simplicity of the Elio. Using the forum search function will quickly provide answers to most of your questions and our friendly helpful members will be happy to answers those you can't find. The Elio is a unique and historical vehicle and revolution in personal transportation. Thanks for joining the forum so we can enjoy the Elio journey and experience together.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone,
I've been reading most threads and I have one important topic (to me) I have yet seen opened. Will I be able to work on the Elio myself - if I choose to? Or, like every vehicle out of the Big Three, Europe and Asia as well, will I be forced to buy expensive 'one-off' tools and deal with over-engineering (remove 6 parts to get the one needing adjustment/replacement). ALL major automakers design their vehicles in this manner for one reason - getting owners to take their cars in to the dealership for service at exorbitant shop rates for marked-up $ parts.
I'm 52 -but I miss the days where I could give my 1966 Chevy Impala a tune up - or replace the starter (without removing suspension/exhaust components). I understand this isn't the 1960's and vehicles today MUST be engineered more environmentally friendly not to mention safer (a 1600 lb verses a 4,000 lb behemoth)....but I miss those days and I feel Elio Motors, its partners, and their engineers can bring some knowledge/fun back into motoring with a sensible, uncomplicated (as possible) design with an eye toward easier owner maintenance/repair. Just my 2 cents.
On the upside, the '94 Chevy Lumina was easy to repair with standard tools - which was good as I had the replace the alternator every few months. (not Chevy's fault, Ft Bragg was experimenting with an EMP weapon)

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The current elios have the suzuki g10 engine.

The engines that are supposed to be designed for the elio appear to be quite like that g10 engine. Assuming it is, this will be a very easy engine to work on.Probably one of the easiest cars in the last 20-30 years to work on.....at least it should be.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another example of "I'm from the government and am here to help". Oh yeah, they were helping the local auto parts supplier.

Top Bottom