• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Years Food And Traditions

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
this year we will spend New Year's at home .... historically in our part of the country a New Year's meal menu includes :

collard greens, blackeyed peas, side meat/pork, and cornbread

yep, that's what will be on our table ..... how about yours

Jim

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
New Years Eve Menu: Homemade, Hand Tossed Pizza, Lasagna, and Mixed Greens Salad. Ice Cold Beer and Bacon Wrapped Tator Tots Happy Hour. Dessert Pizza: Ricotta Cheese, Crispy Bacon, with Blueberry Jam.

New Years Day Menu: Sous Vide New York Strips, Mac & Cheese, Oven Roasted Broccoli & Carrots, Cherry Cheesecake.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
New Years Eve Menu: Homemade, Hand Tossed Pizza, Lasagna, and Mixed Greens Salad. Ice Cold Beer and Bacon Wrapped Tator Tots Happy Hour. Dessert Pizza: Ricotta Cheese, Crispy Bacon, with Blueberry Jam.

New Years Day Menu: Sous Vide New York Strips, Mac & Cheese, Oven Roasted Broccoli & Carrots, Cherry Cheesecake.
I'll be over by 9pm :p

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Sous Vide New York Strips" .... had to look that one up .... really sounds interesting
Best steaks, Pork Chops, and Seafood ever! Precision cooking to the exact R, MR, M, MW, or W temperature and then finish off in a screaming hot cast iron skillet in sizzling butter to sear......about 1 minute each side. It is exactly the same doneness level from the top to the bottom of the steak. The steak color is grey when it comes out of the cooking bag, but sears to perfection.

Can also cook a batch in a large container or cooler and finish off on the Char Coal Grill.

Best steakhouses use them to cook batches of steaks and finish them off on the grill/Broiler to order. It wouldn't take up much room in the camper! :) Check out the ANOVA Preision Cooker, usually on sale so never pay retail. I've never had a juicier bone-in double cut Pork Chop.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
watched some video on it and as you note, the results are impressive .... only issue for me is I'm one of those who prefers his sirloin of the done side .... the video and commentary seems to indicate it favors folks who like their marbled beef on the rare side

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
watched some video on it and as you note, the results are impressive .... only issue for me is I'm one of those who prefers his sirloin of the done side .... the video and commentary seems to indicate it favors folks who like their marbled beef on the rare side
Nope, just the opposite. I like my meat cooked too, medium well to well done. It's the best well done steak I ever ate, as it it cooks to the precise well done temp (never beyond) and retains the juices that cook out in the pan or on the grill when cooking longer periods of time. Once it's finished cooking it can set in the container up to 4 hours, holds the temp and cooks no farther.

I'm an old experienced fry cook from back in my school days. I was sous vide skeptical, but it is an amazing cooking process. My son did sous vide pork belly awhile back and it was melt in your mouth providing you like bacon. We just did a a sous vide corned beef (36 hours) and it was fall apart goodness.

There is a wifi model so you could be out fishing and send an email to start the cooking process so dinner is ready when you get home. Technology is amazing.

Top Bottom