• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Nrdc Article On Doe Loan Programs

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if the ATVM program is bipartisan or not, but ELIO MOTORS sure is... Just like Ford, Harley Davidson & Indian Motorcycles, Tesla & Government MOTORS...I love the Chevy Bolt & Spark!

Last edited:

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I listened to it and there was a lot of discussion on overall philosophy of whether loans are an appropriate thing for the government to provide in general. It didn't seem to address the ATVM portion of the DOE's loan authority directly. But I didn't hear anything from anyone in the hearing that would be unfavorable for EM's application, specifically, as long as all the loan programs aren't ended entirely.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's the opening testimony from ranking member Veasey:

Ranking Member of the Energy Subcommittee, Congressman Marc Veasey’s (D-TX) opening statement for the record is below.

Thank you, Mr. Chairman. I am looking forward to working with you this Congress in my capacity as the Ranking Member of the Energy Subcommittee. Given our history together in the Texas Legislature, I’m hopeful we can work together to ensure America’s bright energy future, and the Department of Energy continues to be a world leader in fostering energy innovation as well as fundamental research.

Today, we are examining the Department of Energy’s Loan Programs Office. I hope that by the end of this hearing my colleagues on both sides of the aisle can come to the same conclusion that so many nonpartisan observers and professionals in the finance industry have – that these loan programs have been successful by almost every measure.

Allow me to highlight just a few of those success stories: The LPO portfolio has over 30 projects in 18 states. It has enabled over 50 billion dollars in private sector investment in clean energy technologies. These loan guarantees have created 56,000 American jobs across the country. And these loan guarantees have helped prevent the release of 34.1 million tons of carbon dioxide into our atmosphere. All of this is because, at Congress’s direction, DOE intelligently leveraged the Federal government’s strong credit and LPO’s deep expertise to the benefit of the American taxpayer.

For my fiscal conservative friends – the loan programs have helped reduce the national debt. During LPO’s relatively short life, the loans and loan guarantees have returned approximately $980 MILLION to the Treasury. That is net revenue from interest payments after accounting for losses. It is notable that even the Heritage Foundation left LPO off their list of programs to cut or eliminate in their “Blueprint for Balance.” And based on my quick read, there aren’t many DOE programs that they spared in that report.

When Congress authorized the loan program, we set aside $10 billion for expected losses that may occur as the Federal government takes on varying levels of risk with each of these projects. While there have been a handful of projects that did not pan out, the total losses from all of these projects comes nowhere near the $10 billion originally set aside. In fact, it is less than 10% of the amount Congress originally projected, with losses so far adding up to $810 million – a number that is covered twice over by interest payments collected. So, if we consider this program on a strictly cost-benefit or risk-reward basis, it has clearly performed beyond expectations and is tremendously successful. But those aren’t the only – or even the most appropriate – metrics to consider.

The Section 1705 loan guarantees are responsible for launching the utility-scale photovoltaic (PV) solar industry. These loan guarantees enabled the first five 100-megawatt solar PV facilities to be built in the U.S. What followed that initial investment from DOE perfectly illustrates the role that these loan guarantees fill in the market.

After DOE demonstrated the viability of those first five projects, private financing began funding utility-scale solar PV independently. As of last year there are now 45 other projects that have received financing. However, LPO does more than just provide loan guarantees to renewable energy. In fact, over a third of the portfolio’s loan guarantee authority funds the Vogtle nuclear energy project in Georgia. And with the announcement of a conditional commitment for the first advanced fossil energy project in Lake Charles, Louisiana, the portfolio continues to diversify.

In fact, the carbon captured from the Lake Charles project will be used by Denbury, a Texas company, for enhanced oil recovery in southeast Texas. As chairman of the Carbon Dioxide Enhanced Oil Recovery Caucus, I certainly support this project. With this enhanced oil recovery occurring near - if not in - the district of Chairman Weber, I’m hopeful he’d be supportive of this project as well.

The market for industrial carbon capture has the potential to experience the same revolutionary changes that the solar PV industry experienced as a result of LPO’s unique role and capabilities to foster our energy innovation pipeline.

In conclusion, the Loan Programs Office has something for everybody. It has investments in fossil energy, renewables, and nuclear, and it even reduces our national debt. I hope we can all recognize the benefits and extraordinary gains that have come out of LPO.

Furthermore, I hope my colleagues on the other side of the aisle are willing to work together to constructively support and, wherever appropriate, improve the Department’s work in this crucial area.

Thank you again, Mr. Chairman and I yield back the balance of my time.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And this one is from Eddie Johnson, who actually touched on the success of the ATVM program:

Ranking Member Eddie Bernice Johnson’s (D-TX) opening statement for the record is below.

Good morning. Thank you Chairman Weber and Chairman LaHood for holding this hearing, and thank you to the witnesses for being here today.

We are here to discuss the record of the Department of Energy’s Loan Programs Office and the unique role that these programs play in our energy innovation pipeline. They provide both direct loans and loan guarantees for projects across a broad range of energy sectors including nuclear, fossil energy, renewables, and advanced vehicles. This support is critical because private lenders are typically unwilling or unable to take on the risks associated with financing truly innovative first-of-a kind projects of this scale on their own.

These programs have been instrumental in establishing new, American-made clean energy industries. For example, prior to 2010 there actually were no large-scale photovoltaic solar projects in the U.S. But after a careful review of both the opportunities and the risks, DOE’s loan guarantee program supported the first five projects of this kind, and since then the private sector has taken over – financing another 45 utility-scale projects without government involvement. Any objective observer will tell you that this simply wouldn’t have happened if DOE had not fulfilled the loan programs’ unique role of reducing the risk of deploying new clean energy technologies.

The loan guarantee program is also supporting construction of the first new U.S. nuclear reactors in 30 years at the Vogtle plant in Waynesboro, GA. And less than two months ago, DOE issued a conditional loan guarantee for an exciting new carbon capture and methanol production project in Lake Charles, Louisiana.

DOE’s Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing program, which issues direct loans, is yet another success story. Not only did it help launch one of the leading electric vehicle manufacturers in the country today, Tesla Motors, but that company paid back its loan with interest almost ten years early. Overall, this program has supported the production of more than 4 million fuel-efficient cars and more than 35,000 jobs across eight states.

The record is also now abundantly clear that DOE has been carrying out these key programs in a fiscally responsible manner. Even initial critics now view the loan guarantee program as a success, with losses equaling only 2.23% of the Office’s entire portfolio – a rate that is lower than many venture capitalists achieve. While there will undoubtedly be instances when an individual project does not meet its goal, DOE’s overall portfolio remains strong and healthy.

In closing, I want to emphasize that there is no such thing as a “free market” when it comes to energy. The full cost to taxpayers of producing and ensuring the safe transportation of oil on the global market is not reflected in its price. Furthermore, the growing costs of carbon pollution have yet to be priced into the energy sector, unfortunately, and Germany, China, India, and other leading competitors have implemented their own robust energy loan and loan guarantee programs to help them cross what’s often called “valley of death” between clean energy technology development and commercialization. So DOE’s loan programs are vitally important for enabling the United States to compete effectively on the world stage – and, more broadly, for fostering an American-made clean energy future for us all.

Again, I thank each of you for joining us today, and with that I yield back the balance of my time.

Top Bottom