• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Radio Questions/audio Questions

korny

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but have they stated if the radio with be a "standard" single din? Because for the price they are listing in the configurator I could do MUCH better then 299 for usb + bluetooth. Also was there any details on the subwoofer, will it be custom fit like a JL stealth box or is it going to be a box that sits in the "trunk"? And one last question, has there been any discussion on the amperage of the alternator or if they are using a standard alternator that could be rewound or swapped out for higher output, I only wonder because I use 20-30 amps of power frequently in my current vehicle to run some 12 volt cooking appliances while I'm on the road and if the elio has a tiny motorcycle battery it won't be up the task if the alternator is only putting out 40 amps or something silly like that

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but have they stated if the radio with be a "standard" single din? Because for the price they are listing in the configurator I could do MUCH better then 299 for usb + bluetooth. Also was there any details on the subwoofer, will it be custom fit like a JL stealth box or is it going to be a box that sits in the "trunk"? And one last question, has there been any discussion on the amperage of the alternator or if they are using a standard alternator that could be rewound or swapped out for higher output, I only wonder because I use 20-30 amps of power frequently in my current vehicle to run some 12 volt cooking appliances while I'm on the road and if the elio has a tiny motorcycle battery it won't be up the task if the alternator is only putting out 40 amps or something silly like that
I don't think you'll have to worry about the amps for your cooking needs, considering the "space" for your 12v appliances in your Elio. So too your concerns for a space for the subwoofer fitting in the trunk, I think if they did put a big box in the rear, it would block your rear-view mirror.

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most of the options on that configurator are basically just placeholders at this very early stage. Don't worry about any details right now, things will be changing a lot between now and production. And I'm pretty sure the dash will have a space for a single DIN chassis.

I don't think you'll have to worry about the amps for your cooking needs, considering the "space" for your 12v appliances in your Elio. So too your concerns for a space for the subwoofer fitting in the trunk, I think if they did put a big box in the rear, it would block your rear-view mirror.

icwutudidthere

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you check it out this morning there are more changes. The subwoofer is up to $599 and listed as an MTX Thunderform, their line of stealth enclosures. Looks like it will be an 8" sub powered with a 100W amp. The text also leads me to believe there will also be 25x2 extra output, assuming for the dash speakers unless the sub adds two additional full range speakers?

And the upgraded radio is now up to $399 and is a weird removable unit with built in speakers to take your music outside the car, with a built in battery to recharge your devices??? Weird. I would just opt for the sub and upgraded speakers and put in my own BT head unit for that. I have no need for a removable docking station and can get a killer unit for half that price.

Of course, these prices are still in flux but at least the prices listed for the sub and speakers are in line with retail + 20%. I know they initially said cost + 20%, but they might end up with a little more padding for themselves.

korny

Elio Fan
Reaction score
You would be surprised what someone can cook in a car. I use a small inverter and power a mini crockpot for soup and oatmeal, that only draws 5-10 amps, what really draws the power is my 12 volt lunch box or my 12 volt George foreman imitation grill. All of which can fit on the floor in front of the passenger seat so I dont see why they wouldn't fit in the back seat foot well for the passenger.

ImOnabus

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to know the size and fitment of the subwoofer as well along with detailed specifications. If the radio upgrade has a frequency response of 80-20k (completely unacceptable), it is likely that the standard radio is nothing more than a place and wire holder for a quality aftermarket unit not supplied by EM or MTX.
I would need much more information before I will be willing to buy almost any of the options offered in the configurator - really hoping this will be addressed.
To be clear, I am not trolling - just disappointed.

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe as good a place to put it- and maybe I don't notice it, but in the disclaimer section-

" final price excludes........installation of select options"

Summary:
Base Price $6,800.00
Color: Red Hot + $0.00
Transmision: Manual + $0.00
Tires: Standard Fender + $0.00
Wheels: Standard Wheel + $0.00
Chin Spoiler: No Chin Spoiler + $0.00
Rear Spoiler: No Rear Spoiler + $0.00
Trim: Black + $0.00
Carpeting: Black + $0.00
Door Threshold: Standard + $0.00
Estimated price *:
* Prices subject to change.
Final price excludes destination/delivery charge, taxes, title, registration and installation of select options.
Options offered are subject to availability and level of interest.
$6,800.00

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe as good a place to put it- and maybe I don't notice it, but in the disclaimer section-

LMAO, oh hail no! If that is the case and they put labor on top of those prices, they are going to be selling a lot of base models with MT and AT only. I will save freaking out for when we get a final version of the configurator but it is starting to smell like a cash grab. Did they think that breaking out the options into individual components would be a good way to make more money off labor?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I believe the key word here is "select". My theory is this: Options that MUST be installed by EM (e.g. color wraps) will include the cost of labor in the price. Other options will available as self-install kits (saves us and them time and money), but if you don't want to install it yourself then you can pay EM to install it for you.

Top Bottom