• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Reservations: 65341 As Of 6/20/2017

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Once they hit 65,000 reservations, do any of you think Elio will stop pushing reservations? How about maybe raising the price to be more lucrative to potential investors?
I was thinking about the testing. Is it possible they have an Elio that they are actually testing already? It could be that they have been testing and tweaking to get the mileage up and the ride sorted out without making a big deal about it. It would be bad to announce the start of MPG testing and then have to announce that they are back to engineering and the engine team...

MagicDragon

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once they hit 65,000 reservations, do any of you think Elio will stop pushing reservations? How about maybe raising the price to be more lucrative to potential investors?
I was thinking about the testing. Is it possible they have an Elio that they are actually testing already? It could be that they have been testing and tweaking to get the mileage up and the ride sorted out without making a big deal about it. It would be bad to announce the start of MPG testing and then have to announce that they are back to engineering and the engine team...
I don't think they will ever stop pushing reservations. Especially the non-refundable type. Since that is their only source of revenue this year. As far as testing on the QT goes. It just doesn't sound like Elio, since they announce the selection of a fastener supplier as a "big deal".. I can't see them missing a chance for a press release.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think they will ever stop pushing reservations. Especially the non-refundable type. Since that is their only source of revenue this year. As far as testing on the QT goes. It just doesn't sound like Elio, since they announce the selection of a fastener supplier as a "big deal".. I can't see them missing a chance for a press release.
True, but they don't announce things like "We are going to approach Continental about anti-lock brakes." because if it doesn't go through, it looks bad. I'd bet the same goes with actual testing. They are unlikely to say "We are going to test MPG tomorrow on the test track." Because if they don't hit their target, they'll look foolish. They've said all along that simulation is great. Well, if they bomb on the MPG, what else would they bomb on? What can we trust? Did the A/C work complete satisfactorily? We don't know. So, Elio will most likely do the test while filming it and tell us AFTER a successful test. I was just wondering if they were already testing or trying to test already. (How many engines do they even have right now?)

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While they might not have an E-Series vehicle (E1x?) completed and assigned strictly to performance and metric testing and validation runs, surely the white E1a that Continental has is performing worthy road/track testing. I can't imagine it's all simulated in order to fine tune anti-lock braking and electronic stability/traction control systems. Otherwise, why provide them with a vehicle? Their timeline is likely actual road/track test, analyze data, engineer improvements and solutions, apply new changes to hardware package and/or software logic as appropriate, and repeat. Over and over again. While we haven't been kept in the loop on its day-to-day activities, I'd wager to posit that E1a has a fair number of miles on her and Paul Elio et al have been kept in the loop on progress via periodic updates from the team at Continental.

Also, for E1c to feature the Roush-inspired new suspension suite of components must have involved more than just cubicle software simulations to develop.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score

We do have to keep in mid that the Elio popularity is based on a $6800 to $7300 sales price. If EM goes much out of that range the expected rate of sales is then unproven. The more the final price deviates up from current the less reliable the current research is.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
While they might not have an E-Series vehicle (E1x?) completed and assigned strictly to performance and metric testing and validation runs, surely the white E1a that Continental has is performing worthy road/track testing. I can't imagine it's all simulated in order to fine tune anti-lock braking and electronic stability/traction control systems. Otherwise, why provide them with a vehicle? Their timeline is likely actual road/track test, analyze data, engineer improvements and solutions, apply new changes to hardware package and/or software logic as appropriate, and repeat. Over and over again. While we haven't been kept in the loop on its day-to-day activities, I'd wager to posit that E1a has a fair number of miles on her and Paul Elio et al have been kept in the loop on progress via periodic updates from the team at Continental.

Also, for E1d to feature the Roush-inspired new suspension suite of components must have involved more than just cubicle software simulations to develop.

W.Wille put it the best; only EM knows. Giving us reports is just a bonus from them; they are under no obligation to tell us anything.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We do have to keep in mid that the Elio popularity is based on a $6800 to $7300 sales price. If EM goes much out of that range the expected rate of sales is then unproven. The more the final price deviates up from current the less reliable the current research is.
You are probably right. I'd suspect that Elio will stay under $8,000 and probably closer to $7,500 at least for the first year. They'll have to make a profit but from what I remember, they had $1,000 built into each car as profit already. I keep forgetting that a lot of us are getting $500 - $650 match from Elio.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Having worked with automotive manufacturers and suppliers, they are very secretive when it comes to their R&D. So, the reason why you are not in the loop is because these suppliers (i.e. Roush, Continental, Bosch, etc...) don't want anything published until the whole project is done. I can see that Elio needs to be secretive because last thing he needs is for the competition out there to catch wind of what is going on. I'm really surprised they had a video of the new engine for it. That's something which automotive manufacturers are very secretive about.

With the list of new suppliers that Elio has under contract (the press calls them partners) they are all working away on a project that is quite unique and it's taking them time to get it perfect. Last thing they need is to have their name on a piece of junk. I suspect that you'll get 2-3 months of silence and then a really good pre production car will emerge. That's typical for the automotive industry.

From the pics and videos that I've seen of the recent car and the unibody shots, they are well on their way to getting the car complete that's not just a car that came out of the model shop. So, 2018 is easily doable for them.

Top Bottom