• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Response From Ama On Elio And Maine Law

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A response from the American Motorcyclist Association on their read of the Elio and Maine law. Though already clarified directly by Maine DMV, it's helpful to know the perspective of the AMA since for the time being the Elio is classified as a motorcycle. Steve is a friend and I appreciate everyone at the AMA's help.

Sean Hutson <SHutson@ama-cycle.org>
Date: September 24, 2014 at 4:07:55 PM EDT
To: John Painter <johnlpainter@me.com>
Cc: Steve Salisbury <SSalisbury@ama-cycle.org>
Subject: Re: Elio Classification
Mr. Painter:

Thank you for contacting the American Motorcyclist Association regarding the Elio.

49 CFR 571.3 defines a motorcycle as: a motor vehicle with motive power having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.” As currently written, the Elio will meet the federal definition of a motorcycle.

The Maine Revised Statute Title 29-A §101 no. 38 states that motorcycle “means a motor vehicle that has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and is designed to travel with only 2 or 3 10-inch of larger in diameter wheels in ground contact and has a motor with a cylinder capacity of more than 50 cubic centimeters or an electric motor with a capacity of not less than 1,500 watts.”
To my knowledge, the Elio will meet these requirements and will be classified as a motorcycle. Due to this classification, drivers of the Elio will be required to follow all motorcycle laws, including licensing requirements, unless specifically exempted by the state legislature.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Sean Hutson
Government Affairs Manager
American Motorcyclist Association
202-742-4303

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
A response from the American Motorcyclist Association on their read of the Elio and Maine law. Though already clarified directly by Maine DMV, it's helpful to know the perspective of the AMA since for the time being the Elio is classified as a motorcycle. Steve is a friend and I appreciate everyone at the AMA's help.

Sean Hutson <SHutson@ama-cycle.org>
Date: September 24, 2014 at 4:07:55 PM EDT
To: John Painter <johnlpainter@me.com>
Cc: Steve Salisbury <SSalisbury@ama-cycle.org>
Subject: Re: Elio Classification
Mr. Painter:

Thank you for contacting the American Motorcyclist Association regarding the Elio.

49 CFR 571.3 defines a motorcycle as: a motor vehicle with motive power having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.” As currently written, the Elio will meet the federal definition of a motorcycle.

The Maine Revised Statute Title 29-A §101 no. 38 states that motorcycle “means a motor vehicle that has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and is designed to travel with only 2 or 3 10-inch of larger in diameter wheels in ground contact and has a motor with a cylinder capacity of more than 50 cubic centimeters or an electric motor with a capacity of not less than 1,500 watts.”
To my knowledge, the Elio will meet these requirements and will be classified as a motorcycle. Due to this classification, drivers of the Elio will be required to follow all motorcycle laws, including licensing requirements, unless specifically exempted by the state legislature.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Sean Hutson
Government Affairs Manager
American Motorcyclist Association
202-742-4303

You should let him know about the AAMVA recommendations and see if they are willing to get behind implementing those.

Top Bottom