• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Right Side Rear Door

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Hi Frim, welcome to the forum!

Your idea is an interesting one. There would need to be many changes to the design of the vehicle. Plus for the existing dimensions, I don't think there's enough room for a back door.

Some food for thought... for rear passenger entry, there are lots of 2-door coupes currently on the road that have the same problem. Plus this vehicle is intended for mostly 1-person driving. I'm not sure about current times, but 15 yrs ago when I had a car seat for my kid, once the car seat was seat-belted in, it stayed there for many months, so taking it in and out of the vehicle wasn't a big demand. For safe curbside loading, one thing to remember: the door-side of the vehicle will be closer to the curb by several inches. Passing cars need to miss the front wheels, so you'll actually be safer than a vehicle today. :)

Last edited:

userexec

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Saturn_ION_silver_4-door_coupe_doors.jpg

Something like this seems like it would be more approachable with the current design of the vehicle.

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to see an option for a right side rear door. It would facilitate rear passenger entry, package loading, placing a baby carrier, provide safe curbside loading for delivery purposes, etc. It would, of course, cost more, but add to the utility value of the car.
Get out the jigsaw. Many Class A RV's with no drivers door have been modified by owners.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would definitely add to the cost and perhaps weaken the engineered safety cage for side impact collisions. The primary application of this vehicle is for commuting a single passenger 90% of the driving time, If used as a delivery vehicle the rear hatch makes for convenient accessibility when loading and unloading cargo........pizza!pizza!

Top Bottom