1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Sister Mary Elephant

Discussion in 'General Elio Discussion' started by booboo, Mar 12, 2018.

1. booboo

booboo Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    17829 All In 4/3/16 Committed 8/12/16
    Why has ElioMotors not found the millions they need to start production yet?

Is it a conspiracy?
    How many billionaires are interested in a company that will produce a $7,450 vehicle ?
    How many millionaires, or for that matter, thousandaires, give a rats ass about a $7,450 vehicle?
    How many vehicle manufacturers, and their backers, want more competition?

https://inequality.org/

Doug McDow likes this.
  2. booboo

booboo Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    17829 All In 4/3/16 Committed 8/12/16
  3. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

There were a few. Interestingly enough, this company had Hari as a full-time consultant from ESG Engineering from October 2006 to September 2009. They had green venture capitalists Kleiner Perkins, former Texas oil magnate T. Boone Pickens and former Oracle Corp. executive Frank Varasano. Plus former Mazda designer Tom Motano, who’s credited with designing the RX-7 sports car and the MX-5 Miata. The VC and Pickens threw in $100M. The state of Louisiana would have thrown in $67 million in state funding and $15 million from Monroe, Louisiana if they would have created the 1400 jobs in the plant they leased in Monroe. The whole thing went belly up when they did not get the $321 ATVM loan. So they renamed it Next Autoworks, made Hari the VP of Engineering and about a year later it went belly up because they must have figured out that their ATVM loan was not going to happen.

What was is really interesting is that Steve Jobs was interested in this car too. At the time he had a few bucks in his pocket too. It was to be 40% lighter than a steel car (made mostly out of plastic), cost around $14K and give 70mpg all while using ICE.

Now LCV capital bought the design and that's the last anyone knows about it.

So, the billionaires were there but not now. Even though the VC and Pickens are billionaires, they didn't become that by throwing large amounts of money away.

https://www.fastcompany.com/1297138/v-vehicle-auto-start-t-boone-pickens-and-kleiner-perkins
    https://www.fastcompany.com/1695394/t-boone-pickens-v-vehicle-now-next-autoworks
    https://www.macrumors.com/2016/06/09/steve-jobs-v-vehicle-creator/
    The Next Autoworks story sounds eerily similar to Elio except they got funding from a few billionaires and Elio got it from lots of thousandaires. Both leased plants in Louisiana, promised almost the same amount of jobs, cheap car with exceptional mpg. I think the reason why nobody remembers this company is because they took a few billionaires money and were privately held. I wonder how much ESG Engineering got paid for 3 years of engineering work.

4matic and Colo-Elio like this.
  4. 4matic

4matic Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Thanks for the posting...lots of great information!!

5. Trusting

Trusting Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    If this is all true, and it looks like it probably is, what a shame! I was so looking forward to getting my Elio. :(

6. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

If you go to the Elio Website under Investor Relations, here's Hari's resume:
    Also, if you wonder what happened at Envia systems (where he worked before Elio Motors), read this:
    https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1089261_collapse-of-battery-startup-envia-what-really-happened

There's also a link at the end of the article that goes into the details. I don't know about you but it seems like Hari is a bad luck charm when it comes to business.

KD likes this.
  7. KD

KD Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    18,706 - 5 speed manual, rear wing just because it will look fast (Ha Ha), carpet, window tint, back windows that can pop out (think old school VW), upgrade stereo
    An interesting read, funny how Livonia, MI is a crossover between Elio and the battery business...

8. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

Livona is pretty much everything automotive.

9. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

I could post so many videos of Cheech and Chong. So to not insult anyone, just search them on youtube and enjoy. Thanks Booboo for reminding me of some lost laughs.

10. KD

KD Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    18,706 - 5 speed manual, rear wing just because it will look fast (Ha Ha), carpet, window tint, back windows that can pop out (think old school VW), upgrade stereo
    Since I am driving a 2014 Volt, these articles were pretty interesting for me. Great twists and turns in the world of HIGH finance for sure.