• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Size Comparison To 1971 Vw Beetle

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My brother took me for a ride in his 1971 VW Beetle yesterday and I couldn't help but wonder how it compared to the elio. After a bit of looking around the internet for manuals and other sources of specifications it looks like the bug is a very interesting benchmark to help understand what our elios will be like.

Also note that their were significant improvements in HP for the beetle. It started with less than 30 HP and had several bumps along the way. In 1970 it had the same HP as the elio is projected to have and only in 1971 did it's HP and torque surpass the elio's projected values. That said, looking at the result of how that power gets is amazing.

Here is a spreadsheet that contains the best numbers I could find. Sorry about it being a PDF attachment but I couldn't figure out a different way to upload the data without having to re-enter it.

Attachments

• 1971 VW Beetle.pdf
    186.4 KB · Views: 1,111

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My brother took me for a ride in his 1971 VW Beetle yesterday and I couldn't help but wonder how it compared to the elio. After a bit of looking around the internet for manuals and other sources of specifications it looks like the bug is a very interesting benchmark to help understand what our elios will be like.

Also note that their were significant improvements in HP for the beetle. It started with less than 30 HP and had several bumps along the way. In 1970 it had the same HP as the elio is projected to have and only in 1971 did it's HP and torque surpass the elio's projected values. That said, looking at the result of how that power gets is amazing.

Here is a spreadsheet that contains the best numbers I could find. Sorry about it being a PDF attachment but I couldn't figure out a different way to upload the data without having to re-enter it.
Yes, interesting. I wonder how its 1971 price (dollars) would compare with the Elio?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
image.jpg

Top Bottom