• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sondors Electric Car

TMOSteel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just got this from start engine, but I have seen this car before:

https://www.startengine.com/startup/sondors-electric-car

I like the look of it, and I've looked into their eBikes before (http://gosondors.com/) which look wicked.

Is there room for another three wheeled autocycle, albeit an electric one? Who knows, but with a price point a few grand higher than Elio I might be tempted.

Unlike Elio, buying stock gets you a car reservation as well. Interesting.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
$10,000 for a 50-mile range base model. I'd need 200 mile range, and could probably get two commutes out of it. How much for that version?

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is even an article that briefly also talks about Elio: http://gas2.org/2016/10/07/sondors-electric-car-everything-elio-not/

If it goes anything like the eBike, it will get built using 100% Chinese parts and labor, hit the pricepoint but then tack on heavy shipping/delivery fees, and have very little in the way of actual engineering. But it will get built.

I was in the process of building my ebike when they first started taking orders for his original bike, back when it was called the "Storm", I think? They initially made BIG claims regarding mileage that they eventually reined in to realistic range for their small battery. What they ended up making and delivering was a cheap but decent quality no-frills ebike with off-the-shelf parts at a pretty small profit margin, but sold A LOT of them. Last I heard it was 15,000. Sound familiar? They sold for $500, but had a steep $200 delivery fee. It was still a bargain at $700 if you were in the market for an electric assist 20 MPH ebike.

I was building essentially a 40-50 MPH electric motorcycle on a bike frame so was not the target audience, but I understand the appeal. Mine only cost around $800 to be faster with more range and better gear, but also spent many weekends on the build and no warranty.

What I love about Elio is that they are trying really hard to engineer a good vehicle. Not just slap together some parts under pretty bodywork and call it a day. There is a difference between working and working well, and from what I have seen Elio is trying to work well. Sondors may surprise, and I hope he does, but for now I am going to keep putting my excess investment money into Elio.

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sondors is very misleading when it comes to touting the numbers of his e-bike to get people to buy them . He grossly understated the price. The price advertised is $499, but there's a hidden delivery fee. So the cheapest Sondor bike will set you back at least $700 once you're sitting on it.

He understated the weight - claims it weighs 38 pounds. And it does. As long as you remove the wheels and the battery! A fully assembled Sondor bike actually weighs closer to 54 pounds.

He claims the range is "up to 35 miles". Again, not even close to the real-world range one can expect. These bikes rarely can go more than 15 miles on a full charge. And that's WITH the rider pedaling - on level ground with no wind. If you factor in hills and a headwind, expect your range to be under 10 miles.

The guy is a shyster. Sorry. It had to be said. I'll wager he touts his e-car the same way.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is even an article that briefly also talks about Elio: http://gas2.org/2016/10/07/sondors-electric-car-everything-elio-not/

If it goes anything like the eBike, it will get built using 100% Chinese parts and labor, hit the pricepoint but then tack on heavy shipping/delivery fees, and have very little in the way of actual engineering. But it will get built.

I was in the process of building my ebike when they first started taking orders for his original bike, back when it was called the "Storm", I think? They initially made BIG claims regarding mileage that they eventually reined in to realistic range for their small battery. What they ended up making and delivering was a cheap but decent quality no-frills ebike with off-the-shelf parts at a pretty small profit margin, but sold A LOT of them. Last I heard it was 15,000. Sound familiar? They sold for $500, but had a steep $200 delivery fee. It was still a bargain at $700 if you were in the market for an electric assist 20 MPH ebike.

I was building essentially a 40-50 MPH electric motorcycle on a bike frame so was not the target audience, but I understand the appeal. Mine only cost around $800 to be faster with more range and better gear, but also spent many weekends on the build and no warranty.

What I love about Elio is that they are trying really hard to engineer a good vehicle. Not just slap together some parts under pretty bodywork and call it a day. There is a difference between working and working well, and from what I have seen Elio is trying to work well. Sondors may surprise, and I hope he does, but for now I am going to keep putting my excess investment money into Elio.
I doubt it will be street legal. It might be used off road or on private property. Sort of like golf carts where only a few retirement communities allow them on the street.. I don't think they will target the same market as the Elio, so why the hit piece?

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I doubt it will be street legal. It might be used off road or on private property. Sort of like golf carts where only a few retirement communities allow them on the street.. I don't think they will target the same market as the Elio, so why the hit piece?
Why the hit piece? Because gas2.org, just like Jalopnik, never misses a chance for an Elio put down. They probably feel threatened by it.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Must-have 1: Amazing MPG ...( 8gal x your amazing mpg range)
Elio Must-have 2: Uncompromised Safety ...(most everything found in a modern car)
Elio Must-have 3: All-American Pedigree ...( I believe 90% is the goal)
Elio Must-have 4: Low Price ...( $7,300 is an unheard of in the US for new car smell )

Elio is working to get it all accomplished. We all know it is taking a lot of vision, cash, effort, ingenuity, time, and persuasion to get it done.

Not to be dismissive, but I think Mr Sondors may have a little work ahead of him. Maybe by the time he gets his prototype 5 built, there will be a miracle battery on the market to make it possible.
A Tesla lithium battery weighs 1,200. An Elio autocycle with a full tank weighs 1350.
Perspective.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Must-have 1: Amazing MPG ...( 8gal x your amazing mpg range)
Elio Must-have 2: Uncompromised Safety ...(most everything found in a modern car)
Elio Must-have 3: All-American Pedigree ...( I believe 90% is the goal)
Elio Must-have 4: Low Price ...( $7,300 is an unheard of in the US for new car smell )

Elio is working to get it all accomplished. We all know it is taking a lot of vision, cash, effort, ingenuity, time, and persuasion to get it done.

Not to be dismissive, but I think Mr Sondors may have a little work ahead of him. Maybe by the time he gets his prototype 5 built, there will be a miracle battery on the market to make it possible.
A Tesla lithium battery weighs 1,200. An Elio autocycle with a full tank weighs 1350.
Perspective.
Uhhhh, I donno booboo...
The Solo weighs 992lbs, is computer limited to 85mph and has a 100 mile range.

I watched the video and that "Hey, I'm very eccentric. Isn't that cool?" doesn't do it for me.

I think he's jumping onto what's soon to be an overcrowded bandwagon here.
With seating for three, the vehicle does have enough room to hide 200 miles worth of lithium.
But even with only a 50 mile range and the current cost of electric propulsion, I wonder about the $10K target.

But then, who's to say. The Elio seems to have far more doubters and haters than it does adopters.
So who are we to say this isn't possible without knowing every scrap of information about the man and his dream?

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wow!

IMG_4789.JPG

Top Bottom