1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Suggestions For Best "substitute" To Test-drive Aisin Mc5 Amt?

Discussion in 'Elio Drivetrain' started by Ghastly, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Ghastly

Ghastly Elio Fan

It seems pretty well established at this point that the automatic transmission that will be offered (at least to start) is the Aisin MC5 AMT.

I've never purchased a new car for which I was the primary driver to date that wasn't a manual transmission (while ironically, at least 3 out of 4 used cars I've purchased have been automatics!) because until I met my first CVT (and subsequently, automatics that have more than 3 speeds) I always felt that the standard 3 speed torque-convertor automatic was the best way to make a relatively decent vehicle into a crappy vehicle - the transmission just had too much of an impact on the responsiveness and efficiency of the vehicle.

And since I've driven manuals all my life (starting with tractors and pickups at about 7 years old), even when commuting 2 hours one way I've always preferred them.

But... ( <-Big But...)

I'm hoping I'm not the only driver of the Elio. My wife has put 10,000 miles on the Tacoma Tacoma- 90% of it just running to/from family visits and appointments with possibly 1 other person in the vehicle (and no need of anything even remotely truckish.) In about 6 months time. At about 22 Mpg.

My wife can drive a standard but she won't if she doesn't absolutely have to, and I have a 12 year old daughter that quite likely will be getting a lot closer to a driver's license by the time the Elio's are available to to my part of the reservation list assuming that all goes as planned. I can pretty much assume that with the manual, I won't be able to get anyone else to use it even when it make sense.

But I've never driven an AMT, and some of the Internet-based research I've done causes me to question if I want to. So I'd really like a better idea now of how an AMT transmission "drives" to get a better idea whether or not I can live with the AMT instead of the manual in order to more easily convince others that it's a viable vehicle for their use as well. And from what I can find I can't actually drive a car here (new at least) that has that specific transmission in it. Unless I missed something, the only vehicles with that same transmission are not produced now or not for sale here (maybe both?)

So... what do you guys think the best "substitute" to test drive might be? Something being sold new today in the USA so I can get a sense for how an AMT affects the driving experience?

Thanks!

<S>

Lynn D likes this.
  2. Ty

Ty Elio Addict

Mitsubishi Mirage or Attrage, probably.

3. TheAsterisk!

TheAsterisk! Elio Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure the current generation Mirage uses a CVT, not an AMT or equivalent.

(Unrelated, but my only experience with a CVT is in my brother's '08 Dodge Caliber with about 70K on it, and I despise the feel. As a functional system, without any insight into the design life and maintenance, it works alright in its role, but it just feels like something isn't right on initial acceleration from a stop, especially while the engine is first speeding up but before the computer has started to change the pulley ratios for acceleration. At speed, the 'shift' lag is less pronounced and of noticeably shorter duration.)

4. Ty

Ty Elio Addict

5. Officespaced

Officespaced Elio Aficionado

It's similar to Ford's PowerShift in the current Focus and Fiesta, which is a Getrag sourced unit and not without controversy as far as reliability...

6. Ty

Ty Elio Addict

Tell me about it. I'm looking for a car for one of my daughters who just started driving. She wants a Fiesta but my wife read about the transmission problems so we are leary. (The manual transmissions had no such issues though...)

7. BilgeRat

BilgeRat Elio Addict

Hm. Wife's niece has a Yaris; think I'll see if I can arrange a test drive.

Jim H likes this.
  8. CrimsonEclipse

CrimsonEclipse Elio Addict

raptor213 likes this.
  9. Ghastly

Ghastly Elio Fan

Perhaps that was the case at one time, but from what I can see, if it was, it is no longer.

The current Yaris is shown as having a 4-speed Electronically Controlled automatic Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i)

http://www.toyota.com/yaris/features/mechanical_performance/1421/1424/1462/1466

Searching for that brings up this:

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h16.pdf

which while it doesn't list specific models of cars it goes into, certainly seems like it's the most likely match to the transmission used in the car - which seems to be a "vanilla" 3-speed auto with overdrive. And It's a gear short of being the right transmission...

The Yaris 1A is the new branding of a Scion, and just states that it's a 6 speed automatic which is one too MANY gears, so I didn't go very far down that route for both reasons.

As far as I can see, there's no way to test drive a new car with that transmission in the US right now. And I can't seem to find anything new with ANY AMT transmission.

Do any of you guys know differently?

<S>

10. Coss

Coss Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I guess they're going to the new DCT transmissions, any of the new cars that have 7, 8 or 9 speeds.
    Kia is using it with they're new 7 speed automatic.
    What's DCT?
    "A dual-clutch transmission, (DCT) (sometimes referred to as a twin-clutch transmission or double-clutch transmission), is a type of automatic transmission or automated automotive transmission. It uses two separate clutches for odd and even gear sets."

And how it works:

outsydthebox and CrimsonEclipse like this.