• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Suv Sales Are Still Gaining Market Share

TexasTesla

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting data...no wonder automobile manufacturers keep eliminating passenger car models.

“According to forecasts from LMC Automotive, SUVs are expected to comprise 50 percent of all car sales in the U.S. by 2020, up from about one-third in 2013.”

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
SUV's are still passenger vehicles no matter what they call them. In essence, they could be called chopped minivans or tall station wagons. The SUV category was simply made up as a marketing ploy to sell something "new". I also love when they say things like "in a class by themselves" and "best in class". It's all hyperbole.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The AWD Sport Utility Vehicle Class is far more driver friendly and functional than a Sedan and why people are ‘Crossing-Over’. :)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hy

You’re absolutely correct! :D
I don't know... take a hard, fast turn in a sedan and then in an SUV. The sedan is much more driver friendly. Still though, we like hauling around a lot of junk with us so an SUV makes more sense. Also, if you have more then 3 people going with you, the SUV makes more sense. I can tell you, in NO manner of people hauling does a big truck make sense... yet, I still commute in one... waiting on my Elio.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know... take a hard, fast turn in a sedan and then in an SUV. The sedan is much more driver friendly. Still though, we like hauling around a lot of junk with us so an SUV makes more sense. Also, if you have more then 3 people going with you, the SUV makes more sense. I can tell you, in NO manner of people hauling does a big truck make sense... yet, I still commute in one... waiting on my Elio.
Driver friendly goes well beyond hard fast turns and even that performance and handling comparison depends on the SUV and the Sedan makes and models. Driver Friendly: Easy Ingress/egress, driver sitting position comfort, sits higher for better visibility, ground clearance, winter driving, hauling stuff, kids, etc.. I’ve owned my first SUV since 2005 and couldn’t go back to driving a Sedan........although I did reserve a Tesla Model 3, but canceled because it’s to darn low and impractical for my daily driving needs.

The Elio would be a great supplement to that big truck and my SUV! :)

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've sat in an Elio and driven a Model 3. I guess since it's coming up on 4 years since I sat in an Elio I just don't remember how much higher it sat.

SUV's are getting popular in Europe too. So the American bug got them. Just like the Pickup craze has got them too as Ford released the Ranger there before they did in the US. It makes no sense as the average price of gas in the US is $2.73 and in Germany, it's $5.73. They need to be driving Elios not SUV's.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've sat in an Elio and driven a Model 3. I guess since it's coming up on 4 years since I sat in an Elio I just don't remember how much higher it sat.

SUV's are getting popular in Europe too. So the American bug got them. Just like the Pickup craze has got them too as Ford released the Ranger there before they did in the US. It makes no sense as the average price of gas in the US is $2.73 and in Germany, it's $5.73. They need to be driving Elios not SUV's.
.......or FUV’s. No More Gas! :)

My guess is the Elio and Model 3 both sat at a similar height. The Elio is 1/2 a sedan. The FUV sits at my SUV’s height for easy ingress/egress and old guys driver comfort.

Last edited:
Top Bottom