• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Takata Air Bags ....seriously?

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just went to the partner list on the EM site and noticed "Takata" as a partner/supplier for EM. Someone, anyone please tell me that Takata WILL NOT be making the airbag safety systems in the Elio. If that is the case, then I'm having serious second-thoughts about getting an Elio. I know, I know, all you rathouse lawyers will jump to Elio/Takata's defense ...but did you even watch the Takata executive at the Senate Hearings a couple weeks ago? NO WAY would I put my safety in their hands. EM doesn't pull the plug on Takata, I'll pull the plug on my order.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just went to the partner list on the EM site and noticed "Takata" as a partner/supplier for EM. Someone, anyone please tell me that Takata WILL NOT be making the airbag safety systems in the Elio. If that is the case, then I'm having serious second-thoughts about getting an Elio. I know, I know, all you rathouse lawyers will jump to Elio/Takata's defense ...but did you even watch the Takata executive at the Senate Hearings a couple weeks ago? NO WAY would I put my safety in their hands. EM doesn't pull the plug on Takata, I'll pull the plug on my order.
Takata has been one of the partner/supplier companies for EM for a long time. I suspect EM is watching this very carefully and will definitely not ignore the issue. :-) Z

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been following the issues with the Takata airbags and find myself to be highly confused .... I don't know for sure but I believe that three of the four vehicles we currently own may well have them .... that concerns me much more than ones which will be installed in vehicles a year from now but I don't plan to get rid of them .... Takata is under such a powerful microscope that I suspect their quality is probably higher than it was when our other vehicles were built .... I'd be shocked if the components that have drawn such strong criticism haven't been upgraded .... I do believe that the guys at EM are pretty conscientious and will be raising safety issues with all of their suppliers

Jim

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
what vehicle do you drive now? Most have been on a recall for something. Just this year GM, Nissan. Ford, Chrysler and Toyota have had recalls. By time your Elio is in your driveway, the airbag should not be a concern.
IIRC, the overwhelming majority of incidents have been in high temperature/humidity areas. My time in NC was full of humidity but not too many days over 100 degrees. Hope this helps.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just went to the partner list on the EM site and noticed "Takata" as a partner/supplier for EM. Someone, anyone please tell me that Takata WILL NOT be making the airbag safety systems in the Elio.
Let's keep some perspective here:

You are more likely to win the Powerball lottery than you are to be injured or killed by a Takata air bag. You are much more likely to slip, fall, bang your head and die getting out of your shower in the morning than you are to be injured or killed by a Takata air bag. (Please be careful!)

You've likely bought a vehicle from a company after they disclosed far more dangerous problems that went unresolved for longer. Ever owned a GM, Ford, or Toyota?

Because people are completely useless at evaluating actual risks (<-- link), Takata may be out of business before Elio goes into production. So you'll get your wish, albeit possibly with a delay in Elio production due to having to source another air bag supplier.

Last edited:

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I never been in a wreck where airbags deployed (knocking on wood now). I'd like to hear from those who have. IF you personally have been involved in an auto accident with airbag deployment, do you believe they reduced likely injury to yourself or others? Knowing what you now know about the possible dangers of airbag deployment (metal shrapnel being exploded toward your head/face), do you feel safer with them installed in your vehicle? For those who trust that Takata will do the right thing and recall EVERY airbag which might cause more harm than good, well...you are living in a dream world utopia my friend. I watched every question posed to Hiroshi Shimizu - the Takata executive in charge of QC, by the US Senate Committee, and, frankly, I was not impressed. I worked for the Japanese for 5 years (Subaru Isuzu Automotive in Lafayette, Indiana), and from personal experience, the Japanese NEVER do what they say they will do to correct a problem. I hope Elio will reconsider Takata systems - that is one headache down the road a new manufacturer does not need.

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's keep some perspective here:

You are more likely to win the Powerball lottery than you are to be injured or killed by a Takata air bag. You are much more likely to slip, fall, bang your head and die getting out of your shower in the morning than you are to be injured or killed by a Takata air bag.

Well, Gas, I'd venture a guess that you haven't said these words to the people who have been maimed by Takata, or the surviving family members of those killed either. I DON' T play the lottery, and I'm certainly not going to spend $6,800 + to get a ticket!

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IF you personally have been involved in an auto accident with airbag deployment, do you believe they reduced likely injury to yourself or others?
Yes.
Knowing what you now know about the possible dangers of airbag deployment (metal shrapnel being exploded toward your head/face), do you feel safer with them installed in your vehicle?
Yes. And I own two cars with those very Takata airbags.

Again, perspective:

Chances of injury by the potentially-defective Takata airbags in my RX-8 or Honda Insight: 77,000 to 1 IF I get in a wreck.

Chance of being killed by a tornado: 66,000 to 1.

So I'd be smarter to worry about tornados than Takata airbags. :cool:

Last edited:

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am probably in the miniority here, but I would rather my cars NOT have air bags. Put the focus on accident aviodance rather than after the fact. I know they can be a life saver ,I hear, but the only personal "interaction" with an airbag was not favorable. My wife and her sister were rearended. Both in seat belts and the airbag caused more injury than the impact. I was told that it should not have deployed, well there you go. It (the airbag) totaled the car and sent both to the hospital. The car could have been driven if the interior wasn't destroyed. If I remember corectly ,when they were introduced it was to "make up" for not being belted in. Flame away, just my opinion.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, Gas, I'd venture a guess that you haven't said these words to the people who have been maimed by Takata, or the surviving family members of those killed either. I DON' T play the lottery, and I'm certainly not going to spend $6,800 + to get a ticket!
That's an appeal to emotion. Nobody wants to be the one to win the Takata lottery, and the injury and loss suffered by those people is very real.

You play the car-crash lottery every time you get into a car.
Your odds of being killed this year in a car crash are worse than 1 in 8,000.

Knowing that, it's pointless to worry about possibly-defective airbags that have 1 in 2,000,000 chance of killing you, if you get in a crash.

Top Bottom