• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tech Talk 05/14/2014 - Progress Update: Elio Motors Manufacturing Plant

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio Motors Tech Talk v17

Elio_TechTalk_Header5ee076.jpg
Last week’s Tech Talk highlighted Gino Raffin, the man behind Elio Motors' Product Launch which includes the integration of engineering, advance manufacturing engineering, purchasing and the manufacturing facility “The Plant.”

Although Gino may be new to our reservation holders and supporters, he has been Vice President of Manufacturing and Product Launch for Elio Motors since 2009. Which means, he’s been actively engaged well before his public debut working diligently with product engineering and suppliers to design a product for manufacturing. His role quite simply — design, develop and execute a manufacturing process within the Shreveport plant, utilizing as much of the existing tooling/equipment and infrastructure assets. The design for manufacturing maxim will assure that the facility assets and investments are incorporated into a safe environment for our people to achieve the product quality, volume and financial requirements of Elio Motors.

The Making of a Vehicle

Gino credits the initial design of the Elio with being manufacturing feasible, an important strategy in helping control costs. This strategy also helped in determining the important first step of the manufacturing process, which is determining what existing tooling/equipment in the Shreveport plant is a usable asset based on the process design and verification — simultaneous engineering with manufacturing suppliers.

Although this approach may seem common sense, automobile manufacturers often begin with product and process design feasibility, coupled with the objective measurable requirements, which must be aligned with our customers including governmental regulations. This evolutionary process within the product creation phase defines how exactly the vehicle will be designed and manufactured. This explains why the final product design may be different from initial design theme concept compared with the initial prototypes.
beb1a540-e058-4015-9310-1c244bc3e6eb.jpg

Preliminary Layout Plan
The Manufacturing Facility “The Plant”

The Elio Motors manufacturing facility “The Plant” is organized by traditional divisions customary within the industry, with one exception unique to Elio.

Division 1: Body Framing — Building shell of vehicle

Division 2: Body Panel — Building the composite sheet molded component (composite body panels)

Division 3: Paint Division — Priming consists of the dip process of the body frame for anti-corrosion and the color side for painting the body panels utilizing an environmentally friendly “dry process.”

Division 4: General Assembly — Following the traditional Body and Paint Divisions, next is the assembly (hang on parts), testing and certification of the vehicles.

Division 5: Power Train — In addition to the traditional four divisions of a manufacturing assembly plant, Elio Motors is very unique in the auto world as we have a fifth division — Power Train division. Typically power train plants are built to support multiple vehicles that utilize the same engine. Since Elio Motors is dedicated to one engine, our ability to build it onsite helps tremendously with quality, delivery and cost objectives. All of which are a critical strategic processing advantage.

Plant Integration is the final step of the Product and Process Creation Cycle where all five divisions are integrated with people, material and methods. The installation validation and buy-off of the tooling and equipment, along with the infrastructure coupled with the physiological needs of the employees (e.g., on-site medical staff), are all taken into consideration. Yes, our goal is to build a robust product and process for our customers. But, our number one operational responsibility is a safe environment for our people.

Next Steps

Now the finale…the launch.

Elio Motors will embrace the traditional OEM best practices methodology that will assure compliance to the vision and mission of Elio Motors with the mindset that long-term objectives are the norm. Excellence in manufacturing will be the maxim for our customers and the retail side of our business.

c36908f0-4730-476f-8199-f5e14ac75f0c.jpg

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a great Tech Talk! We have confirmation of a plan for the Shreveport plant and it answers several frequently asked question such as confirming the engine will be assembled on site. We also have confirmation the frame will receive an anti-corrosion dip and they will be using the durable baked on 'dry' paint. These steps should really help the Elio vehicle hold up well over time.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a great Tech Talk! We have confirmation of a plan for the Shreveport plant and it answers several frequently asked question such as confirming the engine will be assembled on site. We also have confirmation the frame will receive an anti-corrosion dip and they will be using the durable baked on 'dry' paint. These steps should really help the Elio vehicle hold up well over time.
I am so glad you got this today, goofyone. I still have not received it in my email. I am very happy with what it says. Thank you for posting it. :-) Z

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I am so glad you got this today, goofyone. I still have not received it in my email. I am very happy with what it says. Thank you for posting it. :-) Z

I have not received the email yet either. I just noticed it as I was on the Tech Talk site looking for something else.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that makes me feel a whole lot better. I wonder what is going on?

I usually receive the email later in the evening on Wednesday. My guess is they loaded the information into the system already and just have it set to send out the email at the usual time.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
image.jpg

Preliminary plant design
Glad to see there getting ready to ramp things up!

Moderator Comment: Merged into existing thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom